F1 cockpit head surround contruction

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
f1showcars
f1showcars

F1 cockpit head surround contruction

Hi I was just wondering how these was actually made. I know they have foam inside but are they then covered with Kevlar or carbon fiber?

Marco Duchhardt
Marco Duchhardt

Re: F1 cockpit head surround contruction

Hello,
i think its from Carbon fibre because, i have a memorabilia of the Head Sourround. :D

krisfx
krisfx

It's fairly thin carbon fibre with a foam innner.

The two compounds of foam are pink for temps lower than 30 and blue for anything above.

It hardens under impact, I'm sure Scarbs has an article on it :)

scottracing
scottracing

its two plies of carbon / kevlar twill then filled with foam after curing, quite a complex part to make

Ciro Pabón

Well, it's a relatively simple question to answer, perfect for my limited knowledge, specially because the regulations are clear:

- Confor foam

This is a trademarked foam, quite particular, as most materials, according to manufacturer EAR "would amplify the rebound significantly after head impact, or they would bottom out, or collapse completely, offering little physical protection".

This foam hardens when impacted, as krisfx mentions. It also rebounds little.

This is the article by Scarbs that krisfx talks about:

http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2013/01/16/in ... ead-rests/

There are three differente grades of foam (instead of the two krisfx mentions) depending on ambient temperature, at least according to FIA.

- "Soft" carbon fibre cover

The foam is covered with carbon fiber for aerodynamic purposes. As you can imagine, regular hard carbon fiber would negate the impact adsorbing effects of the Confor foam. Hence you have to use a thin cover made of carbon fiber that is soft and almost, according to Scarbs, "rubber like".

You can read Scarbs article to find the curious ways in which teams go around the rules for less aerodynamic drag.

There is also a nice rather old booklet I read by Sid Walkins, called Walking Away (with one of the most spectacular pictures of an accident I've ever seen in a booklet about safety, if you ask me).

FIA's idea seems to be for everything to be reduced to pieces, except the driver (and perhaps the tyres)

I mention this booklet because it explains the curious ways in which this technology has moved into rally racing seats.

Same headrest idea, but only made of foam: if you're going to learn how to do headrests, start with these
Ciro

f1showcars
f1showcars

Hi
Thanks for the replys I have read the scarbs page.
The only question really is if the carbon covering the confur foam is flexible wouldnt the carbon fiber be in raw form as otherwise it wouldnt be flexible?

f1showcars
f1showcars

http://www.paddockmotorsport.co.uk/wp-c ... G_0226.jpg
Had a quick look around on the net see the link for how force india head rest looks like . I presume they could then just squash the foam through the gaps? I have some ex marussia confor foam cockpit surrounds so im presume they do it that way and not injecting it inside.Although this could be different team to team