Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Mexico GP - FP3 / Quali

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

theWPTformula

Any pictures of the Merc internals? Would be interesting to see if the new 'ear' inlets eitherside the roll hoop are feeding a gearbox or ERS cooler.

scarbs
scarbs

It's feeding a relocated gearbox oil cooler. It was fed off the airbox and now off this duct.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

scarbs wrote:It's feeding a relocated gearbox oil cooler. It was fed off the airbox and now off this duct.
Is that because they need to get more air in to the airbox for these higher altitude races? So they've moved this duct to essentially expand the size of the airbox?

scarbs
scarbs

Yes thats my view of the reason

Blackout

F1i pics
Where was that additional cooler placed before? Image
Before

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Blackout wrote:...
It's not additional, it was always there. They just moved the cooling ducts for it out of the airbox to increase the side of the airbox for the high altitude races. I suspect they will revert back at Abu Dhabi.

Blackout

Are you sure? look again at the first pic (the upper rectabgle) and compare it with the second pic; the airbox's smaller channel is still there and provides air to the first small rad. The 'new' 'ears' feed the second rad which IMO wasnt there before in 2015.

OO7
OO7

Diesel wrote:
Blackout wrote:...
It's not additional, it was always there. They just moved the cooling ducts for it out of the airbox to increase the side of the airbox for the high altitude races. I suspect they will revert back at Abu Dhabi.
There has definitely been an additional supplementary cooling radiator added aft of the original unit.

theWPTformula

My thinking is that the top half of the airbox still feeds the gearbox oil cooler, with the 'ears' feeding a supplementary ERS cooler - specifically for Mexico - placed just behind, as it is pictured above.

lio007

here we go by AMuS:

AMuS wrote the ducts feed the turbo radiator

toothed edges on the middle FW-flap (since suzuka)

wacko
wacko

It's an older picture from the USGP that i just found.
Source http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/11/the ... -its-cars/

OO7
OO7

That's a great picture!

The is the first image I've seen that really illustrates the importance of the exhaust packaging and the necessary aero compromise. I didn't realise it was that tight back there.

Cheers wacko. =D>

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

turbof1

I do not know if that is an S-duct; the position of the exit looks to be on the chassis, which I think is illegal. The S-duct has always been right between the chassis and the front crash structure/nose cone, which is a loophole in the rules.

It could be experimental for next year. It could also just be aero test devices. This is how your typical S-duct looks when the nose cone is removed:

However, I could also be wrong about this. Force India has a similar set up as Mercedes:
I think the vanity panel is used here.
#AeroFrodo