Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RobertPthe3rd
RobertPthe3rd

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

Wow thats a huge change on the fw, hopefully they crush everyone and its business as usual again. lol

I suppose if its a front limited track, u want max front df, i will assume thats the function of this remarkable piece of art
Last edited by RobertPthe3rd on 09 Apr 2015, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Ah crap, that'll be a b*tch to draw.

I'll do a tech analysis on this later on the weekend.
#AeroFrodo

GoranF1
GoranF1

vortex generators

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Raleigh
Raleigh

That refinement and detail, Dear Lord...

Mercedes is just so far beyond the rest of the field in this regard. I'm beginning to think Ferrari caught them napping in Malaysia, and now that they realize they have a challenger Mercedes is just going to go away and out develop everyone else at a staggering rate.

WaikeCU

I believe Mercedes have lots of development already made last season and this season so far, but because of the dominance of last season I think not all developed parts were put on the car, but in the refrigerator instead. This season they have been looking a lot at how improved the performance of that Ferrari is. Not only during the Winter, but in the first and second race they have shown they have race winning car. Now that has happened...

They have sort of triggered an alarm phase. Let's take the development out of the refrigerator and put a few on the cars already. There's still lots sitting there in the refrigerator when needed.

turbof1

The development primarily focusses on how the airflow is treated in front of the tyre. They arched the bodywork of the wing to maximize spanwise flow, spilling the airflow to the outside and inside of the wheel, instead of jettisoning it right in the wheel's path.

On top of that, if you look underneath the inside edges of the arches, you'll notice they are quite sharp. The outside edges remain more or less the same as with the previous iteration of the wing, which are also quite sharp. The edges now create counter-rotating vortices. Counter rotating vortices deflect eachother. Again what this does is pushing the airflow to the outside and inside of the tyre, rather then into it. Only this time they use vortices instead of utilising spanwise flow. Spanwise flow is hazardous for low pressure flow, which robs the wing of downforce. It's not so much an issue however when utilized on the high pressure side of the wing.

This really looks like a matter of efficiency rather then adding peak downforce.

Sketches on the way!
#AeroFrodo

tranquility2k4
tranquility2k4

I read on twitter from AMuS (I think) that Merc had this wing available for Malaysia and didn't bring it. Clearly they didn't want to demolish the field after Melbourne, but now they must regret it. I think they probably had it ready for Melbourne even as it was said they'd have a new FW for that race and they haven't done much to the FW since last year up until now.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I would imagine rather than holding it back just because they could, they've held back from racing it so they could spend much more time refining and testing it, to make sure it does exactly what it should, hence the tremendous amount of detail in the design, no point bolting it on when you're in front anyway until you're 99.9% sure it's going to do exactly what you think it should.

WaikeCU

PhillipM wrote:I would imagine rather than holding it back just because they could, they've held back from racing it so they could spend much more time refining and testing it, to make sure it does exactly what it should, hence the tremendous amount of detail in the design, no point bolting it on when you're in front anyway until you're 99.9% sure it's going to do exactly what you think it should.
Exactly. By bolting it when you are in front, you are just vulnerable to other teams to reinvent your idea and perform better than yours. If it happens, then Mercedes would have to go back to the drawing board and reinvest again in time and money to counter the competition and maintain the gap.

Ferraripilot

That wing is a thing of beauty. Each upper plane of the wing is bisected rather than being one piece of cf. I'd like to see a pic of the underside as the concept appears to be a great exaggeration of the outwash concept they had previously.

FrukostScones

closed again?

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

hamilton#1
hamilton#1

elf341
elf341

WaikeCU wrote: They have sort of triggered an alarm phase. Let's take the development out of the refrigerator and put a few on the cars already. There's still lots sitting there in the refrigerator when needed.
I think you might be right - perhaps this is part of the barcelona aero package brought forwards..

astracrazy
astracrazy

elf341 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote: They have sort of triggered an alarm phase. Let's take the development out of the refrigerator and put a few on the cars already. There's still lots sitting there in the refrigerator when needed.
I think you might be right - perhaps this is part of the barcelona aero package brought forwards..
no because it was meant to be in Malaysia and the team decided not to use it.

SectorOne

Very interesting looking front wing, will be interesting to see if other teams follow suit.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"