Mercedes AMG F1 W06

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W06

They're called, "Vader tunnels."

Edit:
well that's what I call em. lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach
Sevach

Rear end is new as well.

That's a really extreme interpretation of the cut for the suspension, these things are true wings now.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Pedrolito

The new front wing (from Omnicorse Mercedes: quante arricciature nell'ala anteriore!)

The version tested at Sepang in FP (from Omnicorse too Mercedes: l'ala nuova era pensata per il prossimo Gp)
It seems this version was used during the race finally Image:

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

turbof1 wrote:The development primarily focusses on how the airflow is treated in front of the tyre. They arched the bodywork of the wing to maximize spanwise flow, spilling the airflow to the outside and inside of the wheel, instead of jettisoning it right in the wheel's path.

On top of that, if you look underneath the inside edges of the arches, you'll notice they are quite sharp. The outside edges remain more or less the same as with the previous iteration of the wing, which are also quite sharp. The edges now create counter-rotating vortices. Counter rotating vortices deflect eachother. Again what this does is pushing the airflow to the outside and inside of the tyre, rather then into it. Only this time they use vortices instead of utilising spanwise flow. Spanwise flow is hazardous for low pressure flow, which robs the wing of downforce. It's not so much an issue however when utilized on the high pressure side of the wing.

This really looks like a matter of efficiency rather then adding peak downforce.

Sketches on the way!
I'll reference you on mercf1fans.com :-)

Sevach
Sevach

eyalynf1
eyalynf1

Sevach wrote:http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 660057.jpg

Rear end is new as well.

That's a really extreme interpretation of the cut for the suspension, these things are true wings now.
Agreed. If they refine these and move them far enough backward, they could mimic some of the lost beam wing functionality in interaction with the diffuser and rear wing.

MakkieT
MakkieT

I can remember how lots of people praised the Merc FW for it's complexity and refinement. On the other hand the FW of the ferrari was typified as unrefined and not very developed. The latest version of the Mercs FW seems to me to be inspired by ferrari. And I do not just mean the carbonblack coloured outer sides, but it's shape there as well. They just took it just a bit further in mu opinion.

krisfx
krisfx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
AlainProst wrote:http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/GP- ... 853054.jpg

Mercedes has introduced small fin one the maine plane on the front wing in orde to avoid tire debris stuck in the slots of the wing as Red Bull in 2012 or 2013 I heard. But I don't know how does this sytem work so can you explain me if you know ?
Erm. hmm. are you talking about those small vertical fins? The measure to avoid rubber sticking is not the fins but a special ant-stick coating used by some teams. With regards to the fins though, I think the fins were first introduced for purely aerodynamic purposes in 2012? or 2013? If I remember. Mercedes did it first then Red Bull.
You can buy that coating for your normal car, too. I know Mercedes and I think Force India & others use GTechniq Exo, it's just a standard detailing sealant =D

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MakkieT wrote: I can remember how lots of people praised the Merc FW for it's complexity and refinement. On the other hand the FW of the ferrari was typified as unrefined and not very developed. The latest version of the Mercs FW seems to me to be inspired by ferrari. And I do not just mean the carbonblack coloured outer sides, but it's shape there as well. They just took it just a bit further in mu opinion.
On the contrary - until this week's new front wing on the Mercedes, the Ferrari's wing was "inspired by" the Mercedes' front wing. They even did a good copy of the upper cascades...

Look at the W05 and W06 wing and then compare to this year's and last year's Ferraris.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

I'm just going to drop this off right here:

Analysis to follow, from trinidefender!
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

turbof1 wrote:The development primarily focusses on how the airflow is treated in front of the tyre. They arched the bodywork of the wing to maximize spanwise flow, spilling the airflow to the outside and inside of the wheel, instead of jettisoning it right in the wheel's path.

On top of that, if you look underneath the inside edges of the arches, you'll notice they are quite sharp. The outside edges remain more or less the same as with the previous iteration of the wing, which are also quite sharp. The edges now create counter-rotating vortices. Counter rotating vortices deflect eachother. Again what this does is pushing the airflow to the outside and inside of the tyre, rather then into it. Only this time they use vortices instead of utilising spanwise flow. Spanwise flow is hazardous for low pressure flow, which robs the wing of downforce. It's not so much an issue however when utilized on the high pressure side of the wing.

This really looks like a matter of efficiency rather then adding peak downforce.

Sketches on the way!
I don't think it is designed to push airflow inward because that would mean the wing wake would pull more dirty air in between the tub. I think it's more of a thing regarding sensitivity. I think the vortices shed will allow the wing to work more effectively across a wider range, just like how it's used in virtually all fighter jets.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Cocles

During FP2 on the American Broadcast, Steve Matchett (who tends to have a good handle on this type of stuff) stated the new FW details generate vortices that seal the wing on either side.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

RobertPthe3rd
RobertPthe3rd

Like Cocles said. Steve Matchett from the American f1 broadcasting team said the new wing helps to create counter rotating vortices in an attempt to seal the wing with the road for more ground effect and in this case more front df for the front limited Chinese track. Im not sure if he is correct, but, thats what he said. Sounds plausible