Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
chuckdanny
chuckdanny
69
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

That was the raised eyebrows thing ?
Fastener failure...

CBeck113
CBeck113
51
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

They did that for the sponsor...if it wasn't planned it would have happened to Maldonado
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

CBeck113 wrote:They did that for the sponsor...if it wasn't planned it would have happened to Maldonado
I really wish to refrain from going further off topic, but admittingly it begs for joking.

So new rule: joking allowed, but has to be followed up in the same post with something on topic. Like this:


Looks like an extremer form of the Hammertime: Mad Max Mode: blow out the hood, switch out some sort of make shift rocket launcher and inject nitrous.

It was btw a new engine cover; I didn't noticed that. Bulkier on top and slimmer on the sides.
#AeroFrodo

BlackSwan
BlackSwan
33
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Here's the video of the explosion!


User avatar
Morteza
2297
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Bushehr, Iran

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Image
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

User avatar
itix
2
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Damn that is a fine looking car from above...
What worries me is that this isn't the first time this happens.

They seriously need to strengthen their side pod covers
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
509
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Cool if the sticker said Mad Maldo...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

atlantis
atlantis
21
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post


i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw
49
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 pm
Location: ...

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

itix wrote:Damn that is a fine looking car from above...
What worries me is that this isn't the first time this happens.

They seriously need to strengthen their side pod covers
It's not so much the strength of the cover, more a problem with pressure build up inside the cover. The air that enters the car through the side pods and other intakes needs go somewhere. If it can't exit the car quick enough it needs space inside the car to occupy. Engine cover failures like this are not uncommon, it's usually caused by the team tightening the body work and reducing the internal airflow without sufficiently increasing the size of the cooling exits. They almost always happen on the straights too, when the airflow in to the car would be at it's highest. If you keep squeezing a balloon without letting any air out, eventually it's going to pop.

User avatar
itix
2
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Yeah I got that bit... But if it is deemed aerodynamically beneficent to keep the airflow as it is, they have to strengthen the components rather than duct more of the air out from the side pods.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

User avatar
turbof1
Moderator
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm
Location: MountDoom CFD Matrix

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Diesel wrote:
itix wrote:Damn that is a fine looking car from above...
What worries me is that this isn't the first time this happens.

They seriously need to strengthen their side pod covers
It's not so much the strength of the cover, more a problem with pressure build up inside the cover. The air that enters the car through the side pods and other intakes needs go somewhere. If it can't exit the car quick enough it needs space inside the car to occupy. Engine cover failures like this are not uncommon, it's usually caused by the team tightening the body work and reducing the internal airflow without sufficiently increasing the size of the cooling exits. They almost always happen on the straights too, when the airflow in to the car would be at it's highest. If you keep squeezing a balloon without letting any air out, eventually it's going to pop.
Not to mention that when DRS activates, it has a knock-on effect on the airflow over the engine cover, which drops in pressure. Lower pressure above the cover combined with higher pressure underneath can lead to such issues.
Yeah I got that bit... But if it is deemed aerodynamically beneficent to keep the airflow as it is, they have to strengthen the components rather than duct more of the air out from the side pods.
Strengthening the deal means extra weight coming along. I personally think Lotus were searching the limit with how little strenghtening they can get away with.

Generally, these things do hold. However, it's not far fetched to think the support and fastening points of the cover are designed close to the limit. When these things pop, it's usually not one condition applying here but multiple can apply:
-bad batch of carbon layering
-wind (decreases pressure on top of the cover)
-DRS
-Some dirt clogging up inside (increases pressure below the cover)
-higher then expected track temperatures
#AeroFrodo

Ruslaw
Ruslaw
1
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Hi guys, did you see the latest E23 updates for Monaco - Lotus Pastor Maldonado Edition :D

Image
Last edited by Ruslaw on Tue May 12, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

j2004p
j2004p
7
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Speaking of DRS activation, did anyone notice that it was the point at which the DRS was dis-engaged that the end plate collapsed on Maldonados car on Sunday?

Not sure whether it was weakened by a particularly violent jink to move out to overtake Sainz.

zioture
zioture
456
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Italy

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

Test Barcellona day 2 Monkey seat.

Image

kwanchepan
kwanchepan
9
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

Post

zioture wrote:Test Barcellona day 2 Monkey seat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE4coZHXIAAWsjz.jpg:large
That is should for Monaco high downforce spec.