Quantino Concept, electrics reach 1000km range mark

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Quantino Concept, electrics reach 1000km range mark

It uses flowcell batteries, liquid, so they can be refilled at any station (supposing this method is extended and gas stations do some mods to adapt), and can do more than 1000km on a row

Problem (IMHO) is it´s using a total of 350l of fuel :o so it must be a bit heavy. The good thing about this is if the method is extended it´s recharged as easy as filling your tank, so you actually don´t need 1000km range, it could be using half that weight

English version:
http://www.netcarshow.com/nanoflowcell/ ... o_concept/

Spanish version:
http://blogs.20minutos.es/coches-electr ... autonomia/

The only thing I know about flowcell batteries is some years ago it was considered one of the best options for storing energy at big scale. For an autonomous electric house with solar panels and wind turbines for example, it was considered a better option than Pb batteries, but its energy density was quite poor. Looks like they improved this aspect

I think this is its predecesor, the quant. Man I´d love to test a car with that vectoring system when using one motor per wheel =P~

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Quantino Concept, electrics reach 1000km range mark

Well first of all you can throw the stupid styling model away, that is meaningless eye candy for the fanbois. (Consider if you will the similarity of the show car for the Volt and the production version).

Flowcell batteries are a refinement of the vanadium redox batteries, there is a central reaction cell, and charged fluid is pumped in at one end, and then is emitted from the other.

Energy density of the electrolyte is not high that is why it is a process better suited to stationary applications.

However, since refuelling essentially consist of emptying one tank and filling another, it does make for a reasonable long range machine.... IF the refuelling stations exist. These either needs enormous tanks of electrolyte, which needs to be transported, or enormous generating capacity. This is where the Better Place idea never really got a workout - transporting batteries by road to a central facility needs a lot of trucks, but the power requirement for a remote refuelling station is large. It's not impossible, just difficult.

Andres125sx

Greg Locock wrote:Well first of all you can throw the stupid styling model away, that is meaningless eye candy for the fanbois. (Consider if you will the similarity of the show car for the Volt and the production version).
Stupid?

Sorry sir but your taste does not stablish the rules. If you don´t like it it´s ok, but don´t say it´s stupid, nothing is as subjective as tastes

And yes, I like it

Obviously it´s a concept car, and the final unit (if manufactured) will be really far from this one. As any other concept car.
Greg Locock wrote:However, since refuelling essentially consist of emptying one tank and filling another, it does make for a reasonable long range machine.... IF the refuelling stations exist. These either needs enormous tanks of electrolyte, which needs to be transported, or enormous generating capacity.
Did you hear about electrical grid? :P

Probably it should be improved, but since people are not going to switch from ICE to Electric motors suddenly, it could be implemented slowly, and it would be very easy to do. You don´t need to build new stations, just adapt fuel tanks to electrolite tanks. I can´t think about an easier way to switch to EV

g-force_addict
g-force_addict

It would only be good if you had a solar powered unit to regenerate the flow batteries chemical in your garage.

During the day that unit regenerates the chemicals needed. By electrolysis or something.
When you come back from work you drain the used chemicals to the unit for reuse.
And refill with the recently regenerated chemical.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Range is not an issue with electric cars because it's simply a trade off between weight and cost.

autogyro
autogyro

What would result in an accident where 350 litres of electrically charged fluid half positive and half negative became suddenly mixed together?

Andres125sx

autogyro wrote:What would result in an accident where 350 litres of electrically charged fluid half positive and half negative became suddenly mixed together?
Good quesition, I´d like to know too

But I don´t think it will be more dangerous than petrol, wich is flamable or even explosive. I´d prefer suffering an electrical shock than an explosion followed by flames everywhere

Anycase tanks are pretty safe today, no matter what liquid is inside

Andres125sx

g-force_addict wrote:It would only be good if you had a solar powered unit to regenerate the flow batteries chemical in your garage.

During the day that unit regenerates the chemicals needed. By electrolysis or something.
When you come back from work you drain the used chemicals to the unit for reuse.
And refill with the recently regenerated chemical.
Change "it would only be good" with "This config has the potential to be perfect" and I´ll agree with the rest of your post :P

Then you could recharge at any gas station for free movility, but at night you could recharge at home too.... for free!