2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
tomazy
tomazy

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

piast9 wrote:^^ I think safety car was deployed because there was a crane on the track, staigth at the shooting line at turn 1. We don't want another crash like Bianchi's.
But wasn't Bianchis crash the reason for the virtual safety car rule in the first place? In what situation will it be used then?

iotar__

tomazy wrote:I was just wondering about the safety car this race. Was it really neccesery? I mean, they have a virtual safety car or something like that, when are they going to use it if not in the situation when the car is simply stuck in the grave? I understand that they deploy the real safety car if there are debris on the circuit or damage of the bariers, but I would think that today situation was ideal for the virtual one?
Yes, unnecessary even for extra careful post Suzuka F1, simple corner, bright day. I'm not complaining but there'll be a lot of safety cars this season then.

zack!
zack!

well, better to take care. Anyway SC put some random/luck factor in racing, that is not really bad when a team is dominating as it will this year. I think ferrari has done something great, but probably track temperature was a bit special today.

evered7
evered7

There was also tire carcass on track. SC was not only for Ericsson car retrieval I suppose.

Edit: Wrong! It was only for Ericsson. But he was in a tricky spot on the track with the crane coming on as well.

GPR-A duplicate2

Allison explains Ferrari win and why a repeat will be tough
Ferrari technical director James Allison is not convinced his team will be able to repeat its Malaysian Grand Prix performance at the next round in China in two weeks' time.
In Melbourne Mercedes were very, very dominant, but even in free air we couldn't have held a candle to them in Melbourne. There's a lot of work for us to do before we can come to a race weekend confident that we can hunt for victory from the first session of the weekend. But we do have an exciting development programme and we've got a lot of performance to bring.

Edax
Edax

Interesting race. It is strange to see everyone happy because mercedes "lost" including Mercedes themselves.

I agree that the special conditions and the SC flatter the situation a bit, I don't believe Ferrari is there yet. I also wonder whether Mercedes strategy was really aimed at winning the race or that quickly they switched to a more conservative one aimed at securing 2nd and 3rd. If they really wanted to win, they would have switched to the softs at the end. The risk was small, if they would not have made it to the end they could have gotten away with an extra pitstop. They had 53 seconds on 4th place.

But it is clear that Ferrari has made a big step forwards and will keep Mercedes honest.

Big losers today are Red Bull and Mclaren.

- For Red Bull I think that all hopes of regulation changes are out of the window, without the support of Ferrari.
- For Mclaren it is quite sad to see. Last year they we're complaining that they did not belong fighting in the midfield. Now they are celebrating that they were gaining on the rear of the midfield.

On the drivers side I am wondering what this is going to mean for Rosberg/Hamilton. So far Mercedes has been cultivating the story that both drivers are equal. But that is easy said when you are miles ahead of everyone else. I wonder whether that still holds when the competition starts pushing.

PlatinumZealot

Da Ferrari Mobsters.... 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach
Sevach

piast9 wrote:^^ I think safety car was deployed because there was a crane on the track, staigth at the shooting line at turn 1. We don't want another crash like Bianchi's.
Last year they wouldn't have called it, but after that terrible incident expect plenty of those.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Now this race was certainly A LOT more interesting than the first one.

But those F1 cars of today, I still cannot stand them. In the Onboards I was very often checking if there was a little "replay" sign I didn't see because at times it looked like the cars would drive at 75% speed only. And the sound does not help either. I thought the onboard was shown to show a dying engine more often than I didn't think that......this is not cool.

And then the Cameras......it is so hard to see which car is actually in front in a side by side overtaking maneuver. You first think wow this is tight, and then the car behind slots in with a 5m gap......I prefer the old cameras with not so wide lenses...

H2H
H2H

That interview with James Allison is a good catch and fits into my view of the rather exciting Malaysian GP. Personally I think that today all things played out in Ferrari's and while maybe in Australia it did so for Mercedes it is quite likely that in China we will see a race between those extremes with a high chance of a Mercedes victory.

All in all a superb job today by Ferrari and a great one back in Maranello. Mercedes very likely underperformed today but the overall the car should still be the class of the field under more 'normal' conditions.

Chene_Mostert

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

gray41 wrote:
Can someone explain when Ferrari will be on the pace?

the moment they can sort out their Quali strategy, they need to be in front of Williams to ensure Merc can not continue to use them as their rear gunners, Ferrari lost 17sec in the first 20 laps behind Williams. :( by Chene_Mostert15 Mar 2015, 09:20
Hope todays result does offer some explanation :?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Sevach
Sevach

On Melbourne tires were no problem at all, easy 1 stopper for everyone, in Sepang tires were a huge deal and Ferrari benefited.

I get the feeling Ferrari will be competitive in races where they can use the option tire better than Mercedes, today Mercedes was desperate to get rid of them.
If the softs prove marginal for Mercedes but raceable for Ferrari in China they should be able to compete.

KingHamilton01

Edax wrote:Interesting race. It is strange to see everyone happy because mercedes "lost" including Mercedes themselves.

I agree that the special conditions and the SC flatter the situation a bit, I don't believe Ferrari is there yet. I also wonder whether Mercedes strategy was really aimed at winning the race or that quickly they switched to a more conservative one aimed at securing 2nd and 3rd. If they really wanted to win, they would have switched to the softs at the end. The risk was small, if they would not have made it to the end they could have gotten away with an extra pitstop. They had 53 seconds on 4th place.

But it is clear that Ferrari has made a big step forwards and will keep Mercedes honest.

Big losers today are Red Bull and Mclaren.

- For Red Bull I think that all hopes of regulation changes are out of the window, without the support of Ferrari.
- For Mclaren it is quite sad to see. Last year they we're complaining that they did not belong fighting in the midfield. Now they are celebrating that they were gaining on the rear of the midfield.

On the drivers side I am wondering what this is going to mean for Rosberg/Hamilton. So far Mercedes has been cultivating the story that both drivers are equal. But that is easy said when you are miles ahead of everyone else. I wonder whether that still holds when the competition starts pushing.
I disagree with your opinion that McLaren are the biggest loser's from today's grand prix. Firstly yes I know they didn't finish but the circuit temp here is probably the hottest they will encounter all season? also remember this is only there second grand prix and effectively team are still testing the car to make it more competitive. For me Alonso was in the top 10 before he retired so that is positive that car show's good race pace and also Button was on the verge of breaking into the top 10.

Overall a double DNF doesn't look good to anyone, however the team are still learning and the team have another race distance with Alonso and Button's Lap's together. When you look at how much McLaren have gained between Australia and sepang the team has done a good job imo. I think most people have cut the team some slack, this is going to take time but improvement will come thick and fast.
McLaren Mercedes

Chene_Mostert

Maybe Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team will now be forced to perform another secret "black helmet" test?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

f1316
f1316

So softs and mediums for China then. They didn't seem to degrade much in Australia but China should be a little bit tougher.

All in all I'm fairly sure that Mercedes will have the pace advantage in China but not by so much that they will be too comfortable. I'm also buoyed by the description of Ferrari's development programme and Allison/Arrivabene inspire so much more confidence than I've had in Ferrari in years.