Race refuelling

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kkobayash

Race refuelling

I have a question about wat happens after qualy with respect to refuelling. For example, because M.Schu got P4 in qualy, but has an engine change and moves to P14, does that mean he can fuel to as much as he likes (cos he is out of top 10) or still to only wat he started before the last 20min session. I would assume to only the start of last 20 right??

Maybe this is why Rubens and some other runners with engine changes who should be obviously quicker werent, as they knew they would drop 10 neways, so may as well have as much fuel on board. What do you think?

Jason

Schuey is fueling up heavily so he can overtake other driver's when they pit(like what Rai in Bahrain)to goin position. He will pit on lap 35 in my opinion. I but suspect Fisico will be light for sure, I think JB will light as well....I guess :roll:
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

f1.redbaron

Re: Race refuelling

kkobayash wrote:I have a question about wat happens after qualy with respect to refuelling. For example, because M.Schu got P4 in qualy, but has an engine change and moves to P14, does that mean he can fuel to as much as he likes (cos he is out of top 10) or still to only wat he started before the last 20min session. I would assume to only the start of last 20 right??

Maybe this is why Rubens and some other runners with engine changes who should be obviously quicker werent, as they knew they would drop 10 neways, so may as well have as much fuel on board. What do you think?
It would only make sense that he's allowed to put in as much fuel as he wants. Otherwise, why would he have taken part in the last qualifying part?

Ranger, you're suggesting a one stop strategy from Schumacher? I cannot see that happening. What is the point? He is NOT starting from way back and he is allowed to change tires...so what would be the point of doing a one stop strategy?

Principessa

I don't know if he can take as much fuel as he wants. What would happen with the people who were eliminated after 2nd 15-minute session than? They won't have much fuel and they'll have to race on that amount of fuel than...that wouldn't be fair either. I think that the 10 participating in the last 20 minutes will have to have the same amount of fuel as they started the 20-minute session with. So also Schumi!

This makes more sence to me, but I really believe that the FIA hasn't thought it over, these situations I mean. I think the new format needs some more clearifying and explanation, perhaps even some changes!

Steven
Owner

Well for me it is quite obvious:

Schumi is 4th, so he is allowed to refuel what he burnt during the last session. He will not be allowed to refuel any amount of fuel.

Contrary, the cars who are knocked out in Q1 and Q2 can do so. As I see it the refuelling rules are to be considered valid on the qualifying positioning. The engine penalties come after that and decide the final grid positions for tomorrow.

And why he took part in Q3 then... just for positions, if not he would have been 21st or somewhere near that, where now he will be in 14th place.

f1.redbaron

Principessa wrote:I don't know if he can take as much fuel as he wants. What would happen with the people who were eliminated after 2nd 15-minute session than? They won't have much fuel and they'll have to race on that amount of fuel than...that wouldn't be fair either. I think that the 10 participating in the last 20 minutes will have to have the same amount of fuel as they started the 20-minute session with. So also Schumi!

This makes more sence to me, but I really believe that the FIA hasn't thought it over, these situations I mean. I think the new format needs some more clearifying and explanation, perhaps even some changes!
But then, why would he have gone out into the final session, knowing full-well that there is absolutely no chance at all of him starting any better than 11th. Massa knew it and he ended his qualifying session (on purpose) without even attempting to get into the final session.

However, I see your point. The best I can say is that those people can (should), no matter what, still put the desired amount of fuel in.

Off topic, does anybody know what is the rule for incidents like the one Ralf had? He, clearly, qualified for the last session, but he wasn't able to post time. Is he allowed to get into the T-car, and go out racing?

EDIT: Principessa, I owe you an apology. Here is what Ross Brawn had to say: ""Considering the amount of fuel that Michael had on board because of the ten-position penalty, his qualifying session went quite well. The tyres seem to be very consistent in their performance. We can expect a tough race but we'll do everything possible to finish in the points.""

Source: F1racing.net

joseff

Ralf is qualified as 10th, so he'll start at P10 + 10 for engine change.

Principessa

Well Redbaron...Massa didn't went out because he needs another new engine ...his second!
:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/2212
That is why he didn't come out anymore in the second heat! He had a 20-place grid penalty anyway because of his 2 new engines!

Schumi went out to be a few places higher on the starting grid even with his penalty!

Well I've heard before the Bahrain GP that the FIA adjusted that part of the qualifying format saying that: If a car, that already has put a time on the sheets or hasn't, has an accident or has to abandon the qualifying session because of a mechanical problem, the car will be placed at the back of the grid. So Ralf will be at the back of grid tomorrow normally! But a lot of confusion is going on...I think that the FIA doesn't know theirselfs!

Scuderia_Russ

f1.redbaron wrote:Off topic, does anybody know what is the rule for incidents like the one Ralf had? He, clearly, qualified for the last session, but he wasn't able to post time. Is he allowed to get into the T-car, and go out racing?
No, he would have been allowed to use Trulli's car according to Martin Brundle but this too would have been considered an engine change and thus pointless.