"The Beast" Penske Mercedes PC-23

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FoxHound

"The Beast" Penske Mercedes PC-23

With all this talk of engines, I thought I'd dust off this old bad boy to bring into perspective what an unfair advantage is.
First though, a few photos and videos to let those who are not familiar with this monster, familiarise themselves.

The beasts heart:

Young Jaques Villenueve pops up on this^.

And the brains behind the beast....Mario Illien, who is linking up with Renault these days.
A nice chat from the man, giving some good first hand insight into the origins of the car.
JET set

Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: "The Beast" Penske Mercedes PC-23

Mercedes HPP have one of these engines in reception in Brixworth... Perhaps it inspired their current crushing (albeit fair) advantage.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

cossie
cossie

Now that's a indy car.Hell 5 different chassis 5 different engines and those 2.65 turbos were bullet proof. Best thing now is to flush the current indy car down the toilet and start over

FW17

412 KPH :?: :o

cossie
cossie

Drop down on it and read what Vasser & Seabass have to say they should have stayed with the DP01's and the 2.65 turbos. Vasser,"that thing is a rocket ship.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... and-dp01s/
Last edited by cossie on 25 Mar 2015, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

FoxHound

cossie wrote:Now that's a indy car.Hell 5 different chassis 5 different engines and those 2.65 turbos were bullet proof. Best thing now is to flush the current indy car down the toilet and start over
In the Mario Illien video, he made mention of the rules being relaxed year on year in the engine department to bring in Buick, who were well behind.
Eventually to the point where they could drive a bus through the rules and develop the 500i V8 monster.

The thing about this car, was that it was shrouded in secrecy. Penske used his own race tracks for shakedowns, and only 6 or 7 guys knew about the engine...Illien included.
As far as the competition were concerned, it came from nowhere. All 1025 horses....
JET set

flynfrog

there is a book out by the same name excellent read, its author posts on autosport. The stories of them testing in secret and shoveling snow off the track to do it are :o

http://www.amazon.com/Beast-Secret-Ilmo ... e+indy+car

FoxHound

Here's a link to an excerpt from that very book.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/10335 ... e-indy-500

Oder remembered being informed of the top-secret engine.
“Clive [Howell] said, ‘Guy, come with me, we need to have a talk.’ He led me toward his office. I’m thinking, ‘God only knows what this is about!’ because there’s always some kind of drama. We passed the door to his office and went down an aisle that leads out of the building. I’m thinking, ‘This is interesting. Maybe we’re going over to the truck-leasing office?’ We walked into a grassy area and he turned to me and said, ‘The walls have ears . . . and you’re privy to this.’ As we went forward, anytime anybody new was brought into the loop, they were taken into his office and threatened with dismissal or bloodletting if anything got out!”
Though certain members of the race team would join the test squad occasionally, the responsibilities fell to Oder and his small band of four other men to run the tests.
The first test date was set irrevocably for Sunday, February 20, and as the day approached, team manager Chuck Sprague created a detailed handwritten note with drawings that was sent to the staff of the speedway. It explained exactly how to clear the track and pit lane. There were several feet of snow on the ground, and the snow-removal process meant walls of snow ten feet high on both sides of the asphalt.
JET set

bdr529

+1 I was just about to post that link no need now
I love that they did it right under the noes of Mario and Michael Andretti, Who both lived down the road from the track
Nazareth Speedway February 1994

FoxHound

Regarding the book, you can read it on Amazon as part of their 30 day free trial.
Or if you want an E copy, it's £8.40.... Tuppence!

The link if ya dig.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beast-Secret-Il ... 8&sr=&qid=

Not sure if this transgresses any forum rules...mods can advise in due course while the link stays up.
JET set

bdr529

Even though Penske dominated in the standings top 3 spots, overall the year was very good from the racing side of things
lots of action up and down the field, more then a few drivers were in the mix each race, besides the 12 wins from the 3 Penske drivers, Andretti won 2 and 1 each from Goodyear & Villeneuve, Pole positions 10 for Penske, 3 for Mansell, 2 for R.Gordon and 1 for Raul Boesel.
I can't say I was ever disappointed watching an indycar race back then

FoxHound

Yes sir! A very good era for indycars in those days.
We even had live transmissions on satellite when I lived in South Africa.

I think that Mercedes unit was only used for the indy 500.
The rest of the season was the Chevrolet engine I believe.
JET set

cossie
cossie

Correct you are it was j just a 500 engine then was banned by cart and USAC for the remaining races.

deterherligt
deterherligt

Fantastic story. I remember reading about this from http://8w.forix.com/penske-mercedes-pc23.html, and it is a fantastic read.

flynfrog

cossie wrote:Correct you are it was j just a 500 engine then was banned by cart and USAC for the remaining races.
It would have never been allowed for the other races. They used the 500 "production" block loop hole that was only in place for the 500