Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
djones
djones

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

One thing I don't understand is how Ferrari would suddenly stop using the system (if indeed they have a system).

Once a clarification has been asked for does that mean the FIA check this on every car?

Surely there would have to be some direct protest or something towards Ferrari and a simple clarification does not warrant a knee jerk?

zibby43
zibby43

djones wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:49
One thing I don't understand is how Ferrari would suddenly stop using the system (if indeed they have a system).

Once a clarification has been asked for does that mean the FIA check this on every car?

Surely there would have to be some direct protest or something towards Ferrari and a simple clarification does not warrant a knee jerk?
It means if you get caught with the system after the Directive is issued, you're disqualified.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:22
izzy wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:12
MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:55

Taking just the best results [top speed] for each engine brand, it’s clear to see Ferrari have consistently been the top performing engine this year
Ah yes, top speed is only determined by engine power.

But the early indication is the FIA’s directive does appear to have led to a slight reduction in Ferrari’s top speed
What if they ran a bit more wing to tackle the tyre deg/cornering problems they had in the previous races?
Occam's razor anyone?
Also why just a slight reduction?

That is significant on a weekend when Ferrari’s run of six consecutive pole positions ended by just 12 thousandths of a second.
They're were off the pace in Mexico already.

Not trying to blindly defend Ferrari here but coming to a conclusion already is a bit far fetched.
well tbf racefans don't come to conclusion really, they say: "Whether that is actually the case will become more clear over the coming races. But the early indication is ..."

and in Mexico the gap in top speeds was the biggest, apart from Hock. So as usual we're just assembling evidence tentatively, at least i am, but there's that data. We can always change our minds, after all
How does one explain Sochi then? Ferrari even more down on the highest speed (5.2kmh) than here in Austin (2.1kmh) haven't read any analysis back then.
https://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... chi.v1.jpg
Another argument in the article is that only Ferrari has a bigger gap (2.1kmh) to the top speed than its season average (1.9kmh).
That all hinges on 0.2km/h.
To me, it's not really about top speed at all.

Because Ferrari's greatest advantage is acceleration, the amount of time won on the straights is what I'm primarily concerned with.

djones
djones

zibby43 wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:50
djones wrote:

It means if you get caught with the system after the Directive is issued, you're disqualified.
So the FIA could have already known about it, but won't act until another team asks for clarification? (because there was currently no specific rule against it)

izzy
izzy

MtthsMlw wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:22
How does one explain Sochi then? Ferrari even more down on the highest speed (5.2kmh) than here in Austin (2.1kmh) haven't read any analysis back then.
https://f1i.com/wp-content/uploads/2019 ... chi.v1.jpg
Another argument in the article is that only Ferrari has a bigger gap (2.1kmh) to the top speed than its season average (1.9kmh).
That all hinges on 0.2km/h.
yes okay but Sochi is an outlier among a trend. They have a trend, of laps that are very variable, and also a rationale, and one that explains how Haas and Alfa don't seem to have had the power advantage

of course Austin might be an outlier too, but so far we have a few pieces of the puzzle that fit together. So you can say it's not proven and i totally agree, but it's not disproven either, and meanwhile we can watch with interest to see if this theory is looking solid or not. I am not calling anybody names

MtthsMlw

djones wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:54
zibby43 wrote:
djones wrote:

So the FIA could have already known about it, but won't act until another team asks for clarification? (because there was currently no specific rule against it)
It was already illegal, no matter what you do cheating the fuel flow limit is forbidden no matter how clever you do it.
It's a way of telling the FIA, hey we know how you could do that, maybe someone else does as well.

djones
djones

Ah ok thanks.

So its a way of saying "FIA you might want to look at this as it's possible to cheat your sensors" then after that presumably they will actually look out for it.

zibby43
zibby43

djones wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:54
zibby43 wrote:
djones wrote:

The way I understood it, particularly after it was explained in this piece, was that the method Red Bull asked for clarification about operated within a sort of a gray zone. https://www.motorsportweek.com/joesaward/id/00577

It's a gray area because of the *means* used to achieve the end goal to circumvent fuel flow measurements. And what I mean by gray zone is that, while the end result is illegal, it's pretty clear the FIA had no idea this could even be done with the method specified by Red Bull, so even if it was already illegal for years, it didn't matter, because the FIA was completely clueless as to what to look for, and have no way of knowing if it had already been done by any teams before the Directive.

I mean, we're talking about the FIA here. The same outfit that missed Renault's brake bias system for literal years. :lol:

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

regarding the potential for so-called 'manipulating the flow regime' ....
there's no rule requiring the flow regime in car use to be as per the flow regime used in the FIA-endorsed calibration

the meter isn't designed around the F1 flow rate
it's an existing COTS design, designed around a much higher flow rate
doesn't this increase the scope for regime manipulation ?

for the same reason the signal level is presumably sub-optimal and so more sensitive to deliberate or accidental disruption
and it doesn't have military-level EMI shielding and design for rejection of disruptive modes

djones
djones

Well lap 17 and so far Ferrari looks to have lost a significant amount of straight-line speed.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Very old engine for Leclerc. Not powerful 3rd spec.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

djones wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 21:41
Well lap 17 and so far Ferrari looks to have lost a significant amount of straight-line speed.
Yes, FIA has found somesomething and it effeckts Ferrari negative...

HPD

Fer.Fan wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 22:33
djones wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 21:41
The FIA !!??? :lol:

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

gokarter wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:21

its called big time cheating. renault brake bias was not technical wrong compared to what ferrari did. fia mentioned about the fuel flow, you cant exceed it by anyway to gain power. ferrari did , knowing fia will turn a blind eye now it got a big harder by others protesting. ferrari should be infact be disqualified from the entire season. this cheating is extreme and pathetic
I don't think that's true. Nobody would take that risk. During qualifying Ferrari still had the best performance on the straights. Although they added much more downforce than usual. Bumpy track is probably the main reason for the terrible form in Austin

Alexf1
Alexf1

Carl Mccoy wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:39
gokarter wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:21

its called big time cheating. renault brake bias was not technical wrong compared to what ferrari did. fia mentioned about the fuel flow, you cant exceed it by anyway to gain power. ferrari did , knowing fia will turn a blind eye now it got a big harder by others protesting. ferrari should be infact be disqualified from the entire season. this cheating is extreme and pathetic
I don't think that's true. Nobody would take that risk. During qualifying Ferrari still had the best performance on the straights. Although they added much more downforce than usual. Bumpy track is probably the main reason for the terrible form in Austin
Wasnt Singapore bumpy? They did quite well there. I see Ferrari now back on the same performance level as Hungary: A match in qualy and a minute behind in the race. Whatever it is they had as of Spa, they didnt make it work this weekend..