Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Polite
Polite

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Polite wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 15:30
Wouter wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 13:18
Polite wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 12:23
About the topic: new design of the PU relative to the top header, upgrade for the combustion chamber!
Do you have a reliable source @Polite? Thanks in advance.
https://www.sportfair.it/2019/12/nuova- ... 20/994879/
https://it.eurosport.com/formula-1/nasc ... tory.shtml
https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/20-12 ... 1298.shtml
new rear 3rd element; new cape and fw
cheers
this was not OT: Wouter asked for information about the new PU.. those were the press articles. tnx for downvoting :mrgreen:

izzy
izzy

Polite wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 13:30
Polite wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 15:30
Wouter wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 13:18

Do you have a reliable source @Polite? Thanks in advance.
https://www.sportfair.it/2019/12/nuova- ... 20/994879/
https://it.eurosport.com/formula-1/nasc ... tory.shtml
https://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/20-12 ... 1298.shtml
new rear 3rd element; new cape and fw
cheers
this was not OT: Wouter asked for information about the new PU.. those were the press articles. tnx for downvoting :mrgreen:
yes that was pretty unfair, you were actually bringing the thread back on topic! have an upvote :)

i can't wait to see how effective everybody's upgrades are

Wouter

Polite wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 13:30
Your answer was not off topic. It's about the powerunit. No reason for a downvote imo.

"Infine la Ferrari non si ferma mai sul lavoro sulla power unit, con un nuovo disegno delle camere di combusione del motore endotermico e nuove testate."

Finally, Ferrari never stops working on the power unit, with a new design of the combustion chambers of the internal combustion engine and new cylinder heads.
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Who wanna bet that the engine will be a split turbocharger?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10
LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 01:53
Why do you think would they go for a split turbocharger? Do you know which teams do have such a concept already?

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 12:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Why do you think would they go for a split turbocharger? Do you know which teams do have such a concept already?
Might bring some packaging advantages with it, it's no silver bullet though.
I don't think Ferrari would risk a change like that, they need 100% reliability to fight Merc.
Their TC/MGUH setup seems to be working great in that regard, the issues they had this year were from another nature.
Don't change a running system :P
Merc and Honda are using this design.

sosic2121
sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
IIRC they abandoned that concept, although their compressor was in the V.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

FERRARI and Renault never had a split turbo (with MGU-H in-between the compressor and turbine) and with the compressor in the VEE.their set-up certainly doesnt show any disadvantages to the split system mercedes adopted.

izzy
izzy

MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 13:10
I don't think Ferrari would risk a change like that, they need 100% reliability to fight Merc.
Their TC/MGUH setup seems to be working great in that regard, the issues they had this year were from another nature.
there's a freeze on the horizon, is one issue, so if they think split is ultimately better, now is the time to go for it. Originally afaik the big problem was the long shaft at 125k rpm, and they've had time to work on that. Then there's the new aero to go with it, so if the packaging/cooling is better for 2021 they pretty much have to make the jump

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 13:10
LM10 wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 12:57
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thanks for the answer! Yea, I also don’t think they would risk a change.

sosic2121
sosic2121

saviour stivala wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 14:25
FERRARI and Renault never had a split turbo (with MGU-H in-between the compressor and turbine) and with the compressor in the VEE.their set-up certainly doesnt show any disadvantages to the split system mercedes adopted.
I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Cheers sosic2121. Is-Sena T-Tajba.

aleks_ader

sosic2121 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 10:28
saviour stivala wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 14:25
I was wrong. Thank you for correcting me.
Even has some advantages:
-minimal Pu CofG is easier to achieve. Heck design for gearbox or clutched systems could be much easier to implement if wanted.
-pretty much no serious size restrictions on turbo size
-pretty much clean V-ee of the engine. More potential for compacts VLIM or more "optimized" intake plenums. I dont think that is really the case. But if engine engineer want more volume he definitely have easier job.
-shorter turbo shaft-less moment of inertia

Dissadvantages:
-complex intake piping for turbo and intercooler,
-all that air piping is a little longer, hence some more losses there
-packaging is bulkier all around PU. especially on top end and on backside of the engine.

At least i think you have pretty much more sacrifices in term of packaging. Or at least you have much complex ducting all around, so till now Ferrari use much more man hours in that area than Merc for example, sure. So i would also say suma sumarum Ferrari system is harder to design but it doesn't bring so big disadvantage to ditch it. At least now when you had 6th iteration of design roadmap. It doesnt bring much sense. At least for my untrained eye.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

"Pretty much clean V-EE of the engine" Both the split and the combined turbo systems in use have the MGU-H in the V-EE and the effect of how 'clean' the V-EE of the engine is, is the same and the same plus or minuses applies to clutching and gearbox of MGU-H-to-turbo if used.

godlameroso

saviour stivala wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 05:58
"Pretty much clean V-EE of the engine" Both the split and the combined turbo systems in use have the MGU-H in the V-EE and the effect of how 'clean' the V-EE of the engine is, is the same and the same plus or minuses applies to clutching and gearbox of MGU-H-to-turbo if used.
But if you put the MGU-H in the Vee you're forced to use a snorkel style compressor inlet.

Not that it really matters as far as performance, but adds to packaging.

I suppose by 2021 all teams will go split turbo. Would make standardizing non performance critical engine parts easier if everyone had the same layout.

If all teams find and fund a common supplier for the bearings and shafts, that would go a long way to standardizing the MGU-H housing at least.

The MGU-H is one of the most expensive pieces of kit on the car. A standard one rated at say 80kW would make things cheap enough to maybe tempt another manufacturer.

Wouldn't be fair to Honda and Mercedes as they did something very difficult. Took Honda almost a year and change to get right.
Saishū kōnā