Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
RZS10

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

They still use some 2020 components, so they're allowed to update them to 2021 spec.

F1NAC

djones wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 11:11
I thought upgrades were not allowed??
I think he is mentioning in the article that from 2020 to 2021 you are allowed only one upgrade for each element of the PU (ICE, MGU's, TC etc.) They started this season with PU which had upgraded only few of those elements, rest is from 2020 and now they will roll those updated.

Ced
Ced

It seems they didn't homologate all the PU components for this season if my understanding is good. So still running some 2020 components they can legally upgrade it to the 2021 spec and get more performance. Smart !

djones

Oh I see. Yeah, that was a smart move.

codetower

Do we know which parts they will be? (ICE, MGU, etc)
If I understand correctly, Sainz is already on his 3rd PU. Leclerc was on his 2nd PU but that was damaged, so he will be on his 3rd at Spa. Assuming the new parts would be ready for Monza, do both drivers need to take a grid penalty being that it's the 4th? OR, could Lec use his old 1st engine for SPA, and bring the 3rd at Monza with the new parts?

LM10

wuzak wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 10:13
"The power unit Charles Leclerc used at the last race was his second, but Ferrari confirmed that was irreparably damaged in the first-lap crash at the start."

A lot of that going around at the moment.
What do you mean?

F1NAC

codetower wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 16:31
If I understand correctly, Sainz is already on his 3rd PU. Leclerc was on his 2nd PU but that was damaged, so he will be on his 3rd at Spa. Assuming the new parts would be ready for Monza, do both drivers need to take a grid penalty being that it's the 4th? OR, could Lec use his old 1st engine for SPA, and bring the 3rd at Monza with the new parts?
guys from formu1a.uno were talking about ERS upgrades that are supposed to improve also cooling packaging

FDD
FDD

djones wrote:
Binotto:
"From now until the end of the season we will bring an evolution of the engine, this year's regulation allows us to bring a completely new power unit in all its elements, we at the beginning of the season brought some elements, but not the entire power unit. there will be some new elements, developed in the second part of the season, which we believe can give us a small contribution on the performance front, indeed, not too small, it will be significant ".

I think that from the Bunotto's statement everything is clear about the allowed PU updates.

wuzak

LM10 wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 17:26
wuzak wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 10:13
"The power unit Charles Leclerc used at the last race was his second, but Ferrari confirmed that was irreparably damaged in the first-lap crash at the start."

A lot of that going around at the moment.
What do you mean?
Verstappen's crash at the British GP has likely rendered that power unit useless, though they used it in FP at Hungary. It looks like Perez's PU from Hungary is damaged beyond repair.

Which means that crashes in 2 races have caused 3 cars to lose one of their 3 power units.

wuzak

codetower wrote:
Spa is a very power hungry circuit and Leclerc's 1st PU has already done the bulk of its scheduled races, maybe even all of them. Running that at Spa would be a mistake.

If they know that they will have to run a 4th for Leclerc they may put the 3rd in for Spa and 4th in for Monza, assuming the new spec is ready by then.

maxxer

So Ferrari and Renault are holding back on some mayor upgrades , that will be interesting to see going into 2022.
Ferrari having Shell as partner should be the best engine again.

Strange that both European manufactures had to hold back because of Corona but the Japanese and UK based manufacturer could move on

JPower

maxxer wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 01:39
So Ferrari and Renault are holding back on some mayor upgrades , that will be interesting to see going into 2022.
Ferrari having Shell as partner should be the best engine again.

Strange that both European manufactures had to hold back because of Corona but the Japanese and UK based manufacturer could move on
Nothing about either situation at Ferrari or Renault was due to Covid.

Renault isn't holding anything back either. They've always been open about the new engine being developed solely for 2022 on.

ryaan2904

FDD wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 23:58
djones wrote:
Binotto:
"From now until the end of the season we will bring an evolution of the engine, this year's regulation allows us to bring a completely new power unit in all its elements, we at the beginning of the season brought some elements, but not the entire power unit. there will be some new elements, developed in the second part of the season, which we believe can give us a small contribution on the performance front, indeed, not too small, it will be significant ".

I think that from the Bunotto's statement everything is clear about the allowed PU updates.
I think if he's purposely stating that the upgrade will be a significant one, maybe ferrari might catch up to merc or honda this season. They're around 25 hp down rn.
And then there's the completely new PU for 22.. maybe ferrari does have a chance to lead the PU front next year? :mrgreen:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

wuzak wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 00:52
codetower wrote:
Spa is a very power hungry circuit and Leclerc's 1st PU has already done the bulk of its scheduled races, maybe even all of them. Running that at Spa would be a mistake.

If they know that they will have to run a 4th for Leclerc they may put the 3rd in for Spa and 4th in for Monza, assuming the new spec is ready by then.
But I read it wont be ready until after monza at the earliest.. also it doesn't make sense to take a new engine for spa and then take another one just for the next race
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wuzak

ryaan2904 wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 07:33
wuzak wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 00:52
codetower wrote:

But I read it wont be ready until after monza at the earliest.. also it doesn't make sense to take a new engine for spa and then take another one just for the next race
If it is not ready by Monza then they'll use PU 3 for Spa and Monza. And I forgot there is the Dutch GP in between!

Best place to introduce 4th PU Austin? Assuming it is ready by then.