Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

ryaan2904 wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 07:28
FDD wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 23:58
djones wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 11:11
I thought upgrades were not allowed??
Binotto:
"From now until the end of the season we will bring an evolution of the engine, this year's regulation allows us to bring a completely new power unit in all its elements, we at the beginning of the season brought some elements, but not the entire power unit. there will be some new elements, developed in the second part of the season, which we believe can give us a small contribution on the performance front, indeed, not too small, it will be significant ".

I think that from the Bunotto's statement everything is clear about the allowed PU updates.
I think if he's purposely stating that the upgrade will be a significant one, maybe ferrari might catch up to merc or honda this season. They're around 25 hp down rn.
And then there's the completely new PU for 22.. maybe ferrari does have a chance to lead the PU front next year? :mrgreen:
Maximum that I hope is to recover about 20-25HP. They were down about 25HP (according to the data presented on the net), but since Honda and MERC went up I do not have info about the difference.
For next year, yes like Ferrari fan I hope that they'll be at least on pair :)

codetower

If this was intentional (to not introduce the elements at the start of the season) and not just that they weren't developed in time, I think it's genius.

Quote from Binotto:
That will be for us, a significant step for the end of the season. But more important for us, it will be experience in view of 2022.

They were developing these parts with 2022 in mind, and decided they can get some real world, on-track testing of these parts. This SHOULD give them a strong advantage over the competition.

tpe
tpe

FDD wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:47
ryaan2904 wrote:
FDD wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 23:58

Binotto:
"From now until the end of the season we will bring an evolution of the engine, this year's regulation allows us to bring a completely new power unit in all its elements, we at the beginning of the season brought some elements, but not the entire power unit. there will be some new elements, developed in the second part of the season, which we believe can give us a small contribution on the performance front, indeed, not too small, it will be significant ".

I think that from the Bunotto's statement everything is clear about the allowed PU updates.
I think if he's purposely stating that the upgrade will be a significant one, maybe ferrari might catch up to merc or honda this season. They're around 25 hp down rn.
And then there's the completely new PU for 22.. maybe ferrari does have a chance to lead the PU front next year? :mrgreen:
Maximum that I hope is to recover about 20-25HP. They were down about 25HP (according to the data presented on the net), but since Honda and MERC went up I do not have info about the difference.
Maybe I a wrong, I am not an engineer at the end of the day.
But since the upgradewill be purely on the electrical side, I don't see how they can gain 20-25bhp
If I understand it correctly, what they expect is the max bhpthe ICE can produce + MGU-K for longer periods during the lap. But again, I might be wrong.

f1316

Why do we presume that the new engine won’t be ready for Spa? As I read it, Binotto is saying “from NOW until the end of the season,” doesn’t that imply it’ll be ready from the next race?

ryaan2904

So the increase is about 10hp according to some.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... ssion=true

Its in italian, but auto translate works just fine
CFD Eyes of Sauron

F1NAC

I would take Nugnes articles with pinch of salt.

Ced
Ced

ryaan2904 wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:37
So the increase is about 10hp according to some.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... ssion=true

Its in italian, but auto translate works just fine
Nugnes infos ? I would take it cautiously

FDD
FDD

tpe wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 20:43
FDD wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 16:47
ryaan2904 wrote:

Maybe I a wrong, I am not an engineer at the end of the day.
But since the upgradewill be purely on the electrical side, I don't see how they can gain 20-25bhp
If I understand it correctly, what they expect is the max bhpthe ICE can produce + MGU-K for longer periods during the lap. But again, I might be wrong.
Yes, I am not an engineer too...
Also only in Ferrari knows on which part of PU they'll bring the updates, maybe they don't use the possibility to upgrade all the parts of the ICE, so nobody can know where are the updates until they tell us, if they do.
Binotto: "... this year's regulation allows us to bring a completely new power unit in all its elements, at the beginning of the season we brought some elements, but not the entire power unit."

Juzh

100% it's ers components that are being upgraded, or maybe the turbo. No way they're running 2020 ICE, that would be way too obvious and they would be nowhere near as competitive as they are. That thing was a complete failure.

sosic2121

Juzh wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 10:39
100% it's ers components that are being upgraded, or maybe the turbo. No way they're running 2020 ICE, that would be way too obvious and they would be nowhere near as competitive as they are. That thing was a complete failure.
If what Mika Salo said was true, 2020 pu was penalised with lower fuel flow. So maybe engine wasn't as bad as you think. And it looked even worse because of draggy car

Ced
Ced

Juzh wrote:
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2021 ... f21-2.html

Ced
Ced

sosic2121 wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 14:03
Juzh wrote:
If what Mika Salo said was true, 2020 pu was penalised with lower fuel flow. So maybe engine wasn't as bad as you think. And it looked even worse because of draggy car
I think that Mika salo comment was a bad joke franckly

basti313

Ced wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 14:08
sosic2121 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
I think that Mika salo comment was a bad joke franckly
Not really, it is technically the only explanation that really makes sense to me.
Ferrari was miles ahead in ICE power. Miles in this case is a few percent. These few percent were tricked with fuel and whatever trick it was, it was small. They would not have been miles ahead with an inefficient engine. The engine was good and the trick brought it to the top.
With the removal of the trick you can explain to be slightly behind Merc or Honda and on level of Renault...but not being suddenly significantly behind Renault.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Juzh

sosic2121 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Only in this case would ICE upgrade make sense.

mizarbarym

Some details for Next update of power unit Ferrari:

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com ... ion=true