Mexico GP in Cancun?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Isn't Herman Tike building and designing the new Grand Prix venue For Mexico?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Steven
Owner

Supposedly so, but this is already from 2004:
pitpass wrote:26/10/2004

As reported last week, Mexico will host a round of the Formula One World Championship from 2007.

Following last weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, F1 commercial rights owner Bernie Ecclestone, travelled to Mexico to conclude the deal.

Sadly, and contrary to previous reports, the track will be designed by Hermann Tilke, the man responsible for new tracks in Bahrain, Shanghai and Istanbul, a designer who constantly opts for style over substance.

The track, which will cost an estimated $70m (£38.5m), which will be located near the holiday resort of Cancun, will host Mexico's first round of the Formula One World Championship since 1992.

The addition of Mexico to the calendar, will place further pressure on circuits such as Silverstone, Magny-Cours, Imola and the Nurburgring, as Ecclestone looks for ever more glamorous locations, and governments willing to agree to his financial demands.

taleed

cool....another circuit. Lets see what's next. Maybe they'll start racing on the Moon?? lol.........I never knew that there was another circuit for 2007.
L8er

jezzwa

i hope Tilke does a good job with this one [-o< [-o< most of his tracks are bad, but they are getting better, Turkey is certainly an improvement.
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

Tom

I don't know that Mexico particularely wants F1. There weren't many spectators at the A1GP, nor do the locals particularely appreciate the rally.

Did they not stop racing F1 in Mexico due to crowd control problems though?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

manchild
manchild

The Mexican Grand Prix was a Formula One auto race held at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City. It first appeared as a non-championship event in 1962 before being held between 1963-1970 and 1986-1992.

The Mexican Grand Grix is due to make a return to the Formula One calendar in 2007 at a new $70 million circuit, Mantarraya, that will be designed by Hermann Tilke and built near Cancún.

Year Driver Constructor Location Report

1992 Nigel Mansell Williams-Renault
1991 Riccardo Patrese Williams-Renault
1990 Alain Prost Ferrari
1989 Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda
1988 Alain Prost McLaren-Honda
1987 Nigel Mansell Williams-Honda
1986 Gerhard Berger Benetton-BMW
1970 Jacky Ickx Ferrari
1969 Denny Hulme McLaren-Ford
1968 Graham Hill Lotus-Ford
1967 Jim Clark Lotus-Ford