2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shrieker

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, October 09-11

10 seconds stop/go for Kimi. Means 30 seconds added to his race time. Mercedes WC Champions.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

F1NAC

Alonso also penalised, track limits. Loses 10th

Schuttelberg

nokivasara wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:This is why Kimi is the number 2 driver.
If it were Maldonado there would be no delay in the judgement!
Kimi is one of the best at clean wheel to wheel racing, it's not like he does this every race like...you know, pastor.

Great drive by Perez, he's pretty damn good at taking care of the tires!
In my opinion, Raikkonen was one of the best. Not just at wheel to wheel racing, but in all the departments. I think, for a number of years, his talent masked his negligence and work ethic, but with age catching up it clearly shows now. You look at his duel with Ricciardo preceding his pass and you find all the evidence there. DR basically left the door open and KR inspite of a distinct speed advantage out braked himself. Also, in a lot of wheel to wheel action, I often see KR take to the run off areas. It's a reaction thing and if you made his Lotus and current Ferrari stint anonymous, people would tell you they are two different drivers.

What's been the biggest change is his attitude. I've personally felt that he tends to have an excuse for everything these days, while the Kimi of old would tell you he goofed up, put the visor down next race and shut up and drive.

This is completely human. He will go down as one of the best drivers of his time. But, if you see his entire career as one large picture you would hesitate in calling him a great driver.

Deserving WDC, but over the hill in my opinion. Would be glad to eat humble pie if he redeems himself in 2016.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

LionKing
LionKing

Kimi was Massa's equal even when he was much younger. He is a very good driver as Massa but that is it, they are not among the top drivers at all.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

And Massa is not as bad as he is made out.. And if he is that bad then Bottas should forget about getting into a top team.. Anyway this is not "How bad Kimi is" thread let's stick to the race.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

evered7
evered7

Can't be bothered with interpreting penalties. Even the stewards seem to have difficulty doing the same.

Sorry for Rosberg. For once he had a proper duel with Hamilton and held his own after the SC restart. But somehow had to bear the brunt of his unreliable car.

Vettel once again picking up the pieces. Another forgettable race for Kimi cause of the incident.

Hope the US GP offers more of a fight up front.

iotar__

FIA got a penalty right - both decision and amount for Raikkonen-Bottas, what happened there :shock: ? Exactly as predicted, it must be one out of five rule or something. It's still the worst season of refereeing that I can remember. Button - Maldo Chn was equally bad and he got 5 s.

zeph
zeph

Can you believe I got up at 4AM to watch it, sat down on the couch and pretty much slept through the whole thing?

Andres125sx

What a pita for Rosberg, after keeping the lead at the start his car fails...

Perez deserved the podium, that´s what Kimi must have thought :mrgreen: :lol:

And I don´t have enough words to explain my admiration for Sainz. After the crash only participating in the race is brave, but then suffering brake problems from lap 20, keep pushing, earn an awesome 7th place, spin because of the brakes failing... and continue racing trying to finish is mindblowing IMO. Any other driver would have retired the car, but he kept pushing. A shame it was only to spin again because there was no more discs :x

Andres125sx

Engineer: Fernando, Massa is behind you, fight him
Alonso: I love your sense of humor!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

langwadt
langwadt

Andres125sx wrote:Engineer: Fernando, Massa is behind you, fight him
Alonso: I love your sense of humor!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
the engineer said: we are racing Massa behind till the end

:)

Andres125sx

Thanks didn´t hear that well, only got the idea, but the reply was priceless :)

GPR-A duplicate2

evered7 wrote:..... But somehow had to bear the brunt of his unreliable car.
I remember a gentleman last year, who said, a driver is as much responsible for the car failures; as this gentleman knew a mechanic who now works for Williams. Earlier this mechanic was working in a team, where one driver was a rich kid and just used to come drive the car and never bothered about understanding the car and consistently used to have car failures. So the mechanic was of the opinion that the driver should spend more time to understand the failures and take care of them. This statement was made when Lewis was having a lot of failures last year and when people here said Lewis is unlucky, he made this statement. I guess that gentleman still has the same opinion, but for Rosberg's situation this time.

I agree there is a bit of a merit in this, but comparing a rich kid somewhere to a highly motivated, charged and totally involved drivers is absurd. Not that I am saying, Rosberg is responsible for his failures this year. Bad luck seems to have extreme liking for Nico this year.

GPR-A duplicate2

They should have some bulldozer races in Sochi until next year's F1 race to harden up the tarmac. 30+ laps on Super soft is simply ridiculous!!!

Does anyone know what went wrong with Grosjean's Lotus before it went off? It was an off camber turn and his car had lost almost all the rake at the rear before going off.

Edax
Edax

GPR-A wrote:
evered7 wrote:..... But somehow had to bear the brunt of his unreliable car.
I remember a gentleman last year, who said, a driver is as much responsible for the car failures; as this gentleman knew a mechanic who now works for Williams. Earlier this mechanic was working in a team, where one driver was a rich kid and just used to come drive the car and never bothered about understanding the car and consistently used to have car failures. So the mechanic was of the opinion that the driver should spend more time to understand the failures and take care of them. This statement was made when Lewis was having a lot of failures last year and when people here said Lewis is unlucky, he made this statement. I guess that gentleman still has the same opinion, but for Rosberg's situation this time.

I agree there is a bit of a merit in this, but comparing a rich kid somewhere to a highly motivated, charged and totally involved drivers is absurd. Not that I am saying, Rosberg is responsible for his failures this year. Bad luck seems to have extreme liking for Nico this year.
There is not much you can do about a stuck brake pedal so in that sense I agree. But to call two retirements over a year in F1 count as extreme bad luck. Many a driver would vow for that kind of performance.

Perhaps with Sainz it was more applicable. He knew he had an overheating brake and kept fighting, whereas he could have yielded to cool his brakes and secure some points.