2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Facts Only
Facts Only

Re: 2015 United States Grand Prix - Austin, October 23 - 25

gilgen wrote:
Do you know what understeer is? it is when you have the wheels locked over but the car does not follow them. now, look at the on board from Hamiltons car...he does not have the wheels locked over. His steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, showing that he was NOT trying to steer into the corner, let alone have understeer.
Have you ever driven a competition car? Or even a decent car at the limit? You dont just put more lock on when you have understeer, that makes it much worse.

This is why they have experienced drivers as the stewards and not random people from the internet who dont know how to drive fast but still think they know better than lewis Hamilton when it comes to driving an F1 car in the wet.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Phil

I think gilgen's issue is, that he is unaware that "understeer" and "locking wheels" are not dependent on one another. You can have understeer without locking wheels. Yes, locking wheels will induce understeer, but understeering not necessarily locking wheels. Understeer/Oversteer is when the turn in radius of the wheels do not match that the vector of the car. Not more, not less.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

PhillipM
PhillipM

You can quite clearly see that is understeer, and the very last thing you want to do in the wet is wind MORE lock on, as that gives even more understeer.

aral
aral

Facts Only wrote:
Have you ever driven a competition car? Or even a decent car at the limit? You dont just put more lock on when you have understeer, that makes it much worse.
Thanks for the attack ! I do know what i am talking about as i have both raced and rallied at international level. And i do still compete in historics. To state that Hamilton didnt turn the wheel as he had understeer is total rubbish ! You wont get understeer UNTIL you turn the wheel.

PlatinumZealot

We saw other cars understeering into each other too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Postmoe

Facts Only wrote:
gilgen wrote:
Do you know what understeer is? it is when you have the wheels locked over but the car does not follow them. now, look at the on board from Hamiltons car...he does not have the wheels locked over. His steering wheel is in the straight ahead position, showing that he was NOT trying to steer into the corner, let alone have understeer.

This is why they have experienced drivers as the stewards and not random people from the internet who dont know how to drive fast but still think they know better than lewis Hamilton when it comes to driving an F1 car in the wet.

That's it guys, no comments if you on't have a racing license. Don't. Even. Dare.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

gilgen wrote:[

That's not what understeer is.... Thank you, you've now completely discredited your own argument and we can all safely ignore your future posts on the topic. Understeer has got very little to do with full steering lock.

turbof1

Let's not get too irritated on one another. It's a good discussion, but all parties should handle eachother with a bit more respect.
#AeroFrodo

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

gilgen wrote:
Diesel wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ECNJESg8M

If you can't see how much the Merc's are understeering in this shot, you must be blind. #-o

They both nearly lost places to the Red Bulls. This footage seals it, case closed, no incident.
oh for goodness sake! there are photos showing close ups of hamiltons car with no lock on it. (understeer would require full left hand lock on a left hand corner) and rosbergs car with right hand lock on it (indicating either oversteer or trying to avoid being pushed off too much)
To quote, the only possible way a car can be understeering is if it has full left hand lock in a left hand corner? Please confirm.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Rosberg should remember how he tried to force Ricciardo off at Hungary.

PhillipM
PhillipM

gilgen wrote: Thanks for the attack ! I do know what i am talking about as i have both raced and rallied at international level. And i do still compete in historics. To state that Hamilton didnt turn the wheel as he had understeer is total rubbish ! You wont get understeer UNTIL you turn the wheel.
So. I'm guessing you fell off a lot?

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

gilgen wrote:
Facts Only wrote:

Thanks for the attack ! I do know what i am talking about as i have both raced and rallied at international level. And i do still compete in historics. To state that Hamilton didnt turn the wheel as he had understeer is total rubbish ! You wont get understeer UNTIL you turn the wheel.
No one says he didnt turn the wheel. This whole pissing contest arose because you asserted that hamilton didnt have understeer because his hands werent in the steering lock position. That is flat wrong, you dont need to be locked to understeer. Driving even just a kart in the rain by yourself will strongly show that even small amounts of steering input can induce understeer when youre pushing the limits.

Maybe you mis-spoke, maybe you were confused, maybe you meant to say something else that didnt come across clearly. But the faster you admit that understeer is not only a factor of steering lock...then the faster everyone moves past it. The worst thing to do is to defend a factually wrong statement on a technical forum where alot of us have driven competitively.

PlatinumZealot

Is this an official image from FIA?

http://prntscr.com/8vx0km
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

The funny thing about this discussion is people seems to accept it´s A: Lewis understeered or B: Lewis went wide intentionally to force Nico out

Guys, it can be both, he understeered when trying to make the corner, but after that he realiced Nico was at the outside and next corner was to the right, so he pushed him wide.

IMO he understeered AND pushed Nico wide

And I agree with Shrieker, that´s not clean racing to me. I criticize it when it´s Alonso (my favourite) and I criticize it when it´s my second favourite (Hamilton)

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

PlatinumZealot wrote:Is this an official image from FIA?
http://prntscr.com/8vx0km
Its actually from this page, https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... of-racing/
It explains racing rules quite brilliantly.

The image that explains the Lewis-Rosberg situation best is this one:

In this case, the attacker is definitely more than halfway past the defender at the apex. The attacker has the right to the racing line. A collision at the apex is entirely the fault of the defender.
-https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... of-racing/
This makes the understeer or not argument academic at best.
Since Lewis was marginally ahead at the apex, if there had been a crash Nico would have been the one penalised.