Welcome to the future (Nissan IDS)

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Welcome to the future (Nissan IDS)

Yes I know there are lots of concept cars showing what they think the future will be, but when looking at concept cars I usually have the feeling they will never reach production because they usually are more of a designing exercise than a real car, but in this case, not sure about the reason, but I see it a lot more realistic and doable. I can see a future with cars like this one. What do you think?

Watch the video, most of the characteristics are explained there. Autonomous/manual drive, 600km range (did I say it´s 100% electric?), radars, sensors and screens all around warning not only the driver but also people around the car, AI wich learns how you drive so when the car is in autonomous driving mode it drives similar to you :shock:, HUD over the screen...

mzivtins

Re: Welcome to the future (Nissan IDS)

I think good designs and engineering are great because they solve problems in the most simplistic way, whilst also being extremely effective.

Apply that thinking to this car, and what is its existence achieving?

Is it pleasing to look at and being in the presence of?
Does it have performance that would satisfy ownership?
Does it solve any issue of modern motoring or the ability to drive?

I really can't see anything close to being called the future in a car like this (Apart from radar, yet that isn't even new)

Suicide doors designed properly give space savings, weight savings whilst also increasing rigidity. But i can show you a design in a road car from 2004 that achieved this.

All electric isn't new, and unless the batteries themselves have the technology to solve the fundamental issue with deterioration then its old news.

Are the batteries made in a cleaner way? This normally out weighs the 'Green' aspect of electric cars.

HUD over the screen? hello Corvette.

These car companies really need to try harder if they are going to show us the future, simply packaging together lots of tried and tested features is not enough to exclaim 'This is the future'

Nice try Nissan

Andres125sx

Actually that is exactly the reason I see it realistic and doable, it does not use any weird new invetion wich usually is worth for nothing, this car does not use anything new, new things always go to the most expensive cars first, and then they´re used more extensively slowly. This is what happens with this car.

This is not a concept of a Rolls Royce, it´s the sucesor of a Nissan Leaf, a regular commuter anyone can buy, but they´ve finally added all those inventions wich are use in this or that car, togheter in a regular commuter

HUD? Not new, Corvette, Jaguar... but not in an affordable car yet
Autopilot? Not new, Tesla have it... but not in affordable car yet
EV? Not new, but 600km is more than enough range, wich has always been the weak point of EVs
AI? Not new, but again not in any affordable car

All this togheter? I don´t know any car, let alone in an affordable segment

That´s the reason I see it realistic. It´s using tested technology togheter in a regular commuter, so it´s realistic, doable, and since it´s a Nissan Leaf it will fit a lot of people´s budget. Ok it will be more expensive obviously, but you know what I mean, it´s not a luxury car and they could manufacture it at an affordable price

That´s the reason I think future cars may be very similar to this, I can see many people purchasing this car, contrary to what I usually think when looking at any other concept car

mzivtins

Hey, good points Andres.

I think the line between crazy out-landish concepts and completely plausible conceptual cars is becoming narrower.

I am someone who wants the best of both worlds, otherwise known as the impossible... i want that outlandish concept to become a reality and throw us 50 years into the future. I over look the smaller steps in the right direction.

I would like to see regenerative energy systems take into consideration the human(s) in the car... after all, we produce 1000 times more energy than the sun... just a though eh :)