2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

Phil wrote:
nevill3 wrote:I have just watched Ted Kravitz in a Sky video explaining the new rules very well
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24100/ ... -explained
What I don't get however - and I apologize in case it was explained somewhere among the sea of posts on the 7 pages prior to this one - *BUT*; if the ultimate aim was to bring a P10 car closer to the cars on the front grid by giving them the freedom to choose their starting tire (hypothetically a soft vs fragile super-soft for everyone who did Q3), why in gods-name did we need these complicated rules of Pirelli limited which tires must be used during the race?
Well you only need to use one set of the specified tires, so you can actually do the whole weekend just using the two softer compounds, or the two harder compounds, or mix and match them

Also I thought the two specified tires could only be used in the race, so thanks for clarifying that POB.
Saishū kōnā

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I watched Teds video and I still don't understand. I thought the idea was Pirelli would just bring all compounds and the teams would have freedom of choice to choose which two compounds they use for qualifying and the race. So some teams could be running Soft/Hard while others chose SuperSoft/Medium etc.

turbof1

Diesel wrote:I watched Teds video and I still don't understand. I thought the idea was Pirelli would just bring all compounds and the teams would have freedom of choice to choose which two compounds they use for qualifying and the race. So some teams could be running Soft/Hard while others chose SuperSoft/Medium etc.
It's complex with lots of "if" and "but". In the most simplest terms, Pirelli nominates now 3 sets of tyres instead of 2. How many each driver gets of the 3 compounds, depends on certain choices the teams make. However, teams will not get to pick anything outside the nominated 3 compounds.
#AeroFrodo

Henk
Henk

It also seems complicated because the rules for practice are explained. If you just look at the race the system is not more difficult than the previous system. Teams have to choose the tires weeks before the race but because of practice they can pretty much still do any strategy if they start the weekend with a mixed set. You then just use the tires you don't like in practice.

I'm wondering if anyone will just do Q2 on the primes and just not make it to Q3. Also, if for instance the Mercs make it to Q3 on the options and the rest has to use the quali tires, doesn't that already give a huge advantage? Lets talk strategies here.

PS. I'm voting for calling the softest tires the quali tires from now on. I know they're not strictly for quali but "the softest tire of the 3 nominated tires of the weekend" seems to be a bit of a mouthful.

PS2. I really like to see Williams' tricolour strategy at Spa this year. :twisted:

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

F1NAC

Pirelli will reveal teams tyre choices for Oz
Formula 1 teams' tyre choices for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix will be revealed by Pirelli at the start of this week, amid intrigue about just how different an approach top contenders have had.

Under new rules aimed at making F1 more unpredictable, teams have been given scope to choose their own compounds for race weekends this year.

While Pirelli picks three sets of tyres, teams have complete freedom for their remaining 10 sets, with clear strategic options depending on how aggressive they wish to be.

Because of the long lead-time Pirelli needs to prepare the tyres, the choices for the F1 season opener had to be made in December, with only the FIA notified about what each team required.

Although Pirelli has long ago manufactured and shipped the right quantity of tyres to Australia, it will only become aware this week about the specific team choices.

Once it has found out that information, it is expected to release the team choices by Tuesday at the latest.

Pirelli F1 racing manager Mario Isola is predicting some variety in what teams have chosen at this stage of the season, although is well aware that teams with very different choices could ultimately converge on the same compounds for the races.

"At the start of the championship I think we will have some variation because they had to choose the compounds quite in advance before the winter tests, at least for the first four races," he explained. "So I expect some differences.

"Then it is difficult to say whether these differences will only be for free practices and then teams will converge to a similar strategy for the race.

"The teams have very powerful tools of simulation and they are able to find the best strategy also with the new regulations."

Isola is confident, however, that the tyre choice freedom will likely result in teams trying to run as soft a compound as possible, which could open the door to more pitstops.

"Hopefully we will have different strategies, and probably more pit stops compared to last year, because we always added one soft compound," he said.

"If we compare the allocation from last year to this year, if we have teams that are planning to have more aggressive strategies then we should have a higher number of pitstops."

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Interesting that Pirelli is left in the dark about team choices, but I suppose it protects them from controversy. I guess it means they have to re-organize the tires once they arrive at GP, so the teams get what they ordered... sounds fun :shock:

ME4ME

BanMeToo wrote:Interesting that Pirelli is left in the dark about team choices, but I suppose it protects them from controversy. I guess it means they have to re-organize the tires once they arrive at GP, so the teams get what they ordered... sounds fun :shock:
From Autosport
Pirelli racing manager Mario Isola said: "It will be interesting to see if different teams have different choices, and inside the same team, if they have different choices for the two cars."

Asked whether Pirelli was already aware of the choices made, Isola added: "We have received the total number of tyres [for each compound] we need to produce from the FIA.

"Two weeks ago we then received the barcode allocation [for each team]. It was at this point we knew the choice for each team, which we will declare on Tuesday."
Announcement today.

Thunder

https://twitter.com/pirellisport/status ... 6251346944 Soo basically no surprises here except Manor....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ME4ME

Last years race the most popular strategy was to go Soft(25)-Medium(33). Obviously back then they qualified on the softs, and raced in cold conditions which made the tyres last longer. This year they will qualify on the Super-Softs. My guess is that a SS-S-S strategy will be used this year.

To me it looks like Hamilton has been the most clever. There is no need for Mediums, and thus he only took the mandatory medium prescribed by Pirelli, but will probably never use it. For any tyre to be used in qualifying or the race, they would have taken more sets to test in free practice. By using the a set of softs, he would fulfill the new tyre requirements of using one of the mandated racing-compounds.

Most teams have taken a lot of Super-Softs, which indeed can come handy in qualifying with everybody except the top teams potentially using the SS's already in Q1. I wonder if some teams might try to do 2 stints on SS's. Williams and Red Bull had very low wear at testing, so it's not impossible. Toro Rosso on the other hand were eating through their tyres at a much quicker rate, so they might wish they'd gone with more Soft tyres.

taris
taris

Anyone is still forced to race with Q2 Compound?

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

taris wrote:Anyone is still forced to race with Q2 Compound?
Yeah, anyone starting Q3 will have to start the race with the tyre which they set their fastest Q2 time on.

Chene_Mostert

ME4ME wrote:Last years race the most popular strategy was to go Soft(25)-Medium(33). Obviously back then they qualified on the softs, and raced in cold conditions which made the tyres last longer. This year they will qualify on the Super-Softs. My guess is that a SS-S-S strategy will be used this year.

To me it looks like Hamilton has been the most clever. There is no need for Mediums, and thus he only took the mandatory medium prescribed by Pirelli, but will probably never use it. For any tyre to be used in qualifying or the race, they would have taken more sets to test in free practice. By using the a set of softs, he would fulfill the new tyre requirements of using one of the mandated racing-compounds.

Most teams have taken a lot of Super-Softs, which indeed can come handy in qualifying with everybody except the top teams potentially using the SS's already in Q1. I wonder if some teams might try to do 2 stints on SS's. Williams and Red Bull had very low wear at testing, so it's not impossible. Toro Rosso on the other hand were eating through their tyres at a much quicker rate, so they might wish they'd gone with more Soft tyres.
Any specific reason you don't include / consider Ericsson as being "the most clever" driver?
Last edited by Chene_Mostert on 08 Mar 2016, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

taris
taris

We have some variables there.

Some pilots can do Q2 with the Soft and try go for 1 or 2 stops
Soft (29)-Soft (29) or
Soft (29)-SuperSoft (29)? or
Soft (29)-SuperSoft(15)- SuperSoft (14)

Some may try to make Q2 with the SuperSoft and do 1 or 2 stops.
Supersoft (20)-Medium (38)? or
Supersoft (15)-Soft (27)-SuperSoft (16)

The Manor looks like it will prioritize mileage and should have a conservative strategy in the race.

ME4ME

Chene_Mostert wrote:Any specific reason you don't include / consider Ericsson as being "the most clever" driver?
Didn't spend much attention to Sauber tbh :D
But Ericsson will need more Super Softs than Hamilton because of Q1.