2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
nevill3

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

I have just watched Ted Kravitz in a Sky video explaining the new rules very well
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24100/ ... -explained
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

F1NAC

Here is also video about new tyre rules.

One question. Will FIA publish all allocations from all teams so we can have better input into race weekend?

ME4ME

nevill3 wrote:I have just watched Ted Kravitz in a Sky video explaining the new rules very well
He seems a bit unease and awkward explaining it. But who'd blame him.. F1 tire regulations :?

godlameroso

So they have 6 sets of practice tires, and 7 sets to qualify and race on(6 for those who made q3), and Pirelli will bring 3 compounds, and make you use the softest to qualify in Q3. Otherwise you can use those 7 sets any way you like(if you didn't make q3). So for the race you have 3 or 4 scrubbed sets of your choosing(depending on what you do in qualifying), and the two untouched race compounds Pirelli has chosen, plus those that didn't make q3 have a wild card quali set for the race, and an extra set if they save one in qualifying.

This means in Australia, you bring 4 sets of mediums, 3 for practice, 1 for the race, 4 sets of softs 2 for practice 2 for the race, and 5 sets of super softs for P3, qualifying, and starting the race. Maybe you opt to save a set for a last dash, as I imagine it will be a 2 stop race. Unless you only run soft/medium in which case you could maybe do a one stopper. Or you go ultra aggressive, and use 3 sets of mediums and then 6 super softs and 4 softs. Push for a 3 stopper.

Bahrain and China are a little trickier, 5 mediums 4 softs and 4 super softs, 3 mediums for practice 1+2, 2 softs for practice 2+3 and one super soft for practice 3, then 3 sets of super softs for qualifying. In the race, using a set of mediums after changing from super softs, and doing the final stint on soft tires, or super softs for those that missed q3, who will probably do one fewer stop than the q3 runners. Another good option would be to forgo the soft tire almost entirely since the medium will probably be a better race tire than the soft, and the super soft has more performance than the soft tire.

I see the super soft lasting around ~7-8 competitive laps, the soft lasting ~13-15 laps, and the mediums lasting ~18-21 laps, with the super softs being no faster than the medium tire by lap 4-5, and the soft being no faster than the medium by lap 10-11, where the medium will give stable performance all the way to lap ~15. That being 2.something'ish seconds slower than fresh super softs and 1.3'ish seconds slower than fresh soft tires. China and Bahrain are both around 56 laps so the medium tire is actually the faster race tire overall. Australia is different because there is not as many long high speed corners like China has in sectors 1 and 2, and Bahrain in sector 2, plus the road surface is very slippery and a low grip tire would suffer graining issues.
Saishū kōnā

f1316
f1316

Don't know if this the right place but this:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... -tyre-test

Are they using last year's cars? If not, they'll need to get crash tested pretty darn soon.

mikeerfol

Ι think they're using last year's cars.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The faster formula under threat as Pirelli says it can't make the tyres work:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35283404
Yet again F1's ridiculous "no tyre testing" rule makes F1 look stupid. :cry:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Glyn
Glyn

Jeez, this sport is sh*t.

We need an increase of like 7 seconds, as Mark Webber says. And drivers need an option to be able to push like hell the entire time.

Pirelli need to stop making excuses and get kicked out.

Bring Michelin back.

djos

Glyn wrote:Jeez, this sport is sh*t.

We need an increase of like 7 seconds, as Mark Webber says. And drivers need an option to be able to push like hell the entire time.

Bring Michelin back.
Amen!

I'm so sick of the Mickey mouse tires that can't be raced on for the whole stint, I'm ok with drs but crap tires is just inexcusable!
"In downforce we trust"

godlameroso

Glyn wrote:Jeez, this sport is sh*t.

Bring Michelin back.
Cars do around race laps in the 1:29's as it is around Barcelona, which is a very aero heavy track, if they were 7 seconds faster they'd be putting race laps to rival the 2013 cars in q3, so 7 seconds is a bit excessive. If they could do ~1:25 race laps at Barcelona they'd be on par with 2010 cars. So realistically making cars 4 seconds faster would be enough in my eyes.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

SS S and M tires for Sochi. I expect teams to go mostly for the soft tire. 4 SS, 1 M, and 8 S tyres seems like a good selection. Anyone else want to play the tire permutation game?
Saishū kōnā

pob

Very conservative of Pirelli not to bring the ultrasoft to Sochi considering the low wear and degradation: Alonso did 40 laps on the supersoft in 2015. For the 10 tyres I'd go 5 supersoft, 5 soft. Maybe even 6 supersoft, 4 soft.

edit: I hadn't considered that the Russian Grand Prix is May this year rather than October, which according to Sochi's climate chart makes it slightly colder than past races, making the supersoft even more important.
Last edited by pob on 14 Jan 2016, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

You have to have at least 1 fresh set of medium and 1 fresh set of soft compound to use in the race, although you only need to use one of the selected race compounds. So you can use the SS and S the whole weekend, and never touch your one medium compound. So if you were so inclined you *could bring 11 sets of super softs, which would leave you 5 sets of super softs to qualify and race on, as well as the soft and medium compounds for the race only. If you can make it work just doing the race on super softs and the one soft, more power to you.

However, I'd imagine that you'd want to test all the compounds available to you to determine your race and qualifying strategy. Furthermore, since you have to hand in 6 of the 13 compounds, it also makes sense to have a decent variety for practice 1-3. It also makes sense to bring in harder compounds because they not only last longer, they are also more consistent and lend themselves better to testing, where consistency is crucial.
Saishū kōnā

pob

You can actually use the two sets "saved for the race" before, you're just not allowed to give them back. I'd only use the medium set if there was a puncture in practice or for installation laps.
With a choice of 6supersoft and 4soft out of the ten, I'd use 3 sets of each in practice, concentrating on how long the supersoft lasts and getting heat into the soft. That would give 3 new sets of supersoft for quali and the special saved set for a second run in Q3 (or only one run in Q3 if two sets of supersoft are needed in Q2 to make sure of getting through) and 1 new set of softs for a banker in Q1. Then for the race there'd be the Q2 supersofts to start on with 1 new supersoft and 1 new soft for if a two stopper does makes sense. There'd still be the scrubbed sets of quali tyres (1 soft, 2 supersoft) for emergencies in the race if Pirellis start popping randomly.

Phil

nevill3 wrote:I have just watched Ted Kravitz in a Sky video explaining the new rules very well

Ted rules.

What I don't get however - and I apologize in case it was explained somewhere among the sea of posts on the 7 pages prior to this one - *BUT*; if the ultimate aim was to bring a P10 car closer to the cars on the front grid by giving them the freedom to choose their starting tire (hypothetically a soft vs fragile super-soft for everyone who did Q3), why in gods-name did we need these complicated rules of Pirelli limited which tires must be used during the race?

We've already this rule - that Q2 knock-outs could choose their starting tire - the only issue was that the option tire (the softest compound) was usually strong enough to endure a significant duration and offer an important performance gap, that people wanted to race and start on the softest compound anyway; meaning that every P10 starter usually started on the the option, instead of the a more durable compound.

So why not simply make the compounds more aggressive, or like some here have said... force a qualifying tire?

In fact, if the sole aim and purpose was to limit the advantage a car starting on the front-row has vs. cars starting further down the grid, instead of GIVING a Q3 car an additional option tire, and because of that give them another advantage, why in godsname don't they simply take a set of tire away? In other words - if you make it into Q3, fair enough, you get to fight for pole, but as a result, you lose that tire set and can't use it during the race. The aim should be to get teams to gamble between trading off a better position against worse racing conditions. In fact, I think the sport would be a lot more interesting if for whatever reason, the fastest car didn't aim to start from pole, but actually started somewhere down the grid and had to make its way passed slower cars to win the race. And on the contrary, have slower cars on the front row weighing up their chances to defend to win the race.

Yes, it sounds artificial, but IMO a bit of it is necessary if you want to avoid trains of cars in the order of their performance simply driving off into the distance.

Which ever way you go, it's artificial tampering in order to make it more interesting. I'm okay with artificial gimmicks (to a degree), but making the sport even more complicated... well, I'm not so sure if that's really the way to go.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter