2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
skoop
skoop

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

ClarkBT11 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
TAG wrote:I like how Button squeezing Hamilton into the wall in Canada 2011 is used as a reference. Priceless. =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9jPvPS_xHk
Always someone else's fault, never Hamilton's? No one squeezed Hamilton he crashed into other car attempting stupid overtake into non existent space (rings a bell?) Surprisingly other cars don't always disappear off track. Was he also 'squeezed' earlier in this race into small collision with Webber at the start? I suppose air squeezed him into ~2-3 spins in China, gravel trap in China, wall in Monaco, stopped his pace in USA, Silverstone and Brazil, sent him off track almost losing the win in Spa '10, forced him into bad race in Australia '10, sent him off track in Germany in need of a crane...etc

Yet despite all that he is a master of wet conditions because of one GB race in 08 OK, OK I'm leaving this discussion :-)
Can we not stop slagging two drivers off we've just had four days worth of rubbing willies for our favorite drivers in the Austin thread.

What does anyone think about manors chances in this GP. I predict Werhlin to get into Q2.
I really hope that Pascal makes Q2 and gets a lucky point again.

godlameroso

Not likely. The Manor has poor downforce, Silverstone is more aero track than power track. Even with DRS wide open no car gets past 330kph on the short straights, so aero is key. Probably use downforce levels similar to Barcelona. There's not as much elevation change so you can run the car a pretty low, frankly it's like Suzuka but with less emphasis on power.
Saishū kōnā

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

I expect Hamilton to take the win. I think Rosberg will have thought long and hard on how he drove and threw away last race - I suspect he'll be a bit less aggressive this time.

Race prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Vettel
5. Verstappen

Qualy prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

giantfan10
giantfan10

Nathanael F1 wrote:I expect Hamilton to take the win. I think Rosberg will have thought long and hard on how he drove and threw away last race - I suspect he'll be a bit less aggressive this time.

Race prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Vettel
5. Verstappen

Qualy prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel
#3and #4 are based on what exactly? Finishing over a minute behind and also behind williams last year?
Whats your reasoning behind red bulls sudden jump?

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

giantfan10 wrote:
Nathanael F1 wrote:I expect Hamilton to take the win. I think Rosberg will have thought long and hard on how he drove and threw away last race - I suspect he'll be a bit less aggressive this time.

Race prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Vettel
5. Verstappen

Qualy prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel
#3and #4 are based on what exactly? Finishing over a minute behind and also behind williams last year?
Red Bull has made big gains this year. I think Silverstone is similar to Catalunya, and we all know how they went there. Ferrari should be 2nd or 3rd, but could likely be messed up by strategy as we've seen them do recently.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

giantfan10
giantfan10

Nathanael F1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:

Race prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Vettel
5. Verstappen

Qualy prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel
Red Bull has made big gains this year. I think Silverstone is similar to Catalunya, and we all know how they went there. Ferrari should be 2nd or 3rd, but could likely be messed up by strategy as we've seen them do recently.
If you use Catalunya as your benchmark then Ferrari will be ahead of Red bull..
Contrary to catalunya you can actually overtake at the britishGP and since Ferrari was the quicker car in spain in the race... you get my point : )
Red bulls only chance is Ferrari botching race strategy .

Vasconia

giantfan10 wrote:

Race prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Vettel
5. Verstappen

Qualy prediction:
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Vettel
RB is much more stronger this season than in 2015. Their aero pack is great and the Renault PU is working better.

Vasconia

Spoutnik wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Rosberg has always been one of the worst driver under wet condition, even in qualifying (Malaysia 15) Vettel with less downforce outperformed him. He's been outperformed by Hamilton in qualy under rain in Australia, China 2014. We will not even talk about the rape of Hamilton against him in Suzuka 2014 in 1v1 race.
About Silverstone 2015 we all now Hamilton was so slow because of tires freeze due to his brake balance
To be fair I dont see such a terrible performance by Nico on this qualy. Yes, it wasnt good, but he was beaten by two drivers who are hailed as the best ones(alongside Alonso) in wet.

1Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:39.269 1:41.517 1:49.834

5 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:39.814 1:39.632 1:49.908

6 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:39.374 1:39.377 1:50.299
Yes. And that's my point, Rosberg is a random driver under the rain. Hamilton is one of the best with Vettel, Button and maybe Alonso
Well, average is something very different from "one of the worst drivers in wet". I think this time you have been more accurate.

Button is very good with mixed conditions but with full wet I would rank Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton over him.

Vasconia

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2637827

Forecast Summary

Outlook for Saturday to Monday

Cloudy and muggy with occasional heavy rain likely during Saturday, and turning breezier. Becoming fresher and windy with sunshine and scattered showers during Sunday and Monday.

krisfx
krisfx

Vasconia wrote:http://www.bbc.com/weather/2637827

Forecast Summary

Cloudy and muggy with occasional heavy rain likely during Saturday, and turning breezier. Becoming fresher and windy with sunshine and scattered showers during Sunday and Monday.

I live about 15 mins from Silverstone, it's pretty funny that people trust the weather forecast haha. The weather has been quite unpredictable as of recent, so it may change (very rapidly)

Vasconia

krisfx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:http://www.bbc.com/weather/2637827

Forecast Summary

I live about 15 mins from Silverstone, it's pretty funny that people trust the weather forecast haha. The weather has been quite unpredictable as of recent, so it may change (very rapidly)
I dont trust it at all, but I dont live there so I "should" trust it haha. My area has also a very unpredictable weather but I hope it can rain a little bit.

iotar__

iotar__ wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Which is not surprising. Most drivers on the grid are better racers in wet than Rosberg.
Not surprising you are wrong and cannot back up your theories, mindlessly attacking drivers which is accepted and common behaviour here as long as targets are right. Your level of F1 knowledge makes you suitable candidate for Sky commentator.

- Silverstone and USA '15 he was considerably quicker than Hamilton, slower in Monaco and Suzuka, Malaysia Q '10 very quick - the only other I could remember, Rosberg has been good in the wet AFAIR. Brazil was not the only good wet race for Massa when he was quicker than Hamilton, he was similarly bad/quick/off track in Monaco '08 but didn't crash at the right time
- Myth of Hamilton's wet conditions brilliance brought up every time there's a chance of rain based mostly on one Silverstone race is getting annoying. There is a dozen examples to the contrary. Four mentioned, spinfest in China '09 (the only occasion not in the best cars which helps), China '07 gravel, crash vs Button in Canada, crane :) in Germany, lost Australia '10, find yourself the rest.
Spoutnik wrote:Rosberg has always been one of the worst driver under wet condition, even in qualifying (Malaysia 15) Vettel with less downforce outperformed him. He's been outperformed by Hamilton in qualy under rain in Australia, China 2014. We will not even talk about the rape of Hamilton against him in Suzuka 2014 in 1v1 race. About Silverstone 2015 we all now Hamilton was so slow because of tires freeze due to his brake balance
No and no:
- in four wet races between them Rosberg was twice considerably quicker (USA, GB) and twice Hamilton (Monaco Suzuka). That's a fact and no, the latter wasn't "rape" if you can count (and care I don't) speed difference in USA and GB was bigger
- I've never heard of "brake balance" excuse. What kind of reason is that anyway? Change it. Always some BS excuse No, It was a matter of tyres, conditions and drivers dealing with. Roberg was dealing with it 1-2 s quicker per lap. Problem disappeared after pitstop (change of tyres) and Rosberg ending ~8-10 s behind.
- Tue LH was couple of time quicker in wet Q early '14 but I (and I think Rosberg) will it take because it makes his dry Q advantage even more visible
- Before '14 one Q vs Q is hardly a case that justifies stupid statements like that , impossible to compare cars anyway

Juzh

giantfan10 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:The battle between Red Bull and Ferrari will be the most interesting elemnt of this race. If the temperatures are "high" I think Ferrari(at least Vettel) will be ahead. Colder temperatures would suit RB.
The only chance a red bull will finish ahead of a Ferrari is if Ferrari makes a mess of their strategy again... on pure pace red bull is not a match for Ferrari especially on a power track. Hot cold or mild .
Based on last years qualifying Williams may also be right in the mix
So, on PURE pace in qualifying (!) RB does not seem to be quite on ferrari level but during the race they were faster on pace than ferrari in austria which is a power track.

Now I'm not saying they will be faster in silverstone, but chances are high imo. Even last year they had pretty much the same speed. Rai, vet, kvy were all circulating within 4s of each other for a majority of the race. Maybe soft tires can help ferrari as they did in barcelona if they can somehow revolve their strategy around them.

NathanOlder

iotar__ wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Which is not surprising. Most drivers on the grid are better racers in wet than Rosberg.
Not surprising you are wrong and cannot back up your theories, mindlessly attacking drivers which is accepted and common behaviour here as long as targets are right. Your level of F1 knowledge makes you suitable candidate for Sky commentator.

- Silverstone and USA '15 he was considerably quicker than Hamilton, slower in Monaco and Suzuka, Malaysia Q '10 very quick - the only other I could remember, Rosberg has been good in the wet AFAIR. Brazil was not the only good wet race for Massa when he was quicker than Hamilton, he was similarly bad/quick/off track in Monaco '08 but didn't crash at the right time
- Myth of Hamilton's wet conditions brilliance brought up every time there's a chance of rain based mostly on one Silverstone race is getting annoying. There is a dozen examples to the contrary. Four mentioned, spinfest in China '09 (the only occasion not in the best cars which helps), China '07 gravel, crash vs Button in Canada, crane :) in Germany, lost Australia '10, find yourself the rest.
Spoutnik wrote:Rosberg has always been one of the worst driver under wet condition, even in qualifying (Malaysia 15) Vettel with less downforce outperformed him. He's been outperformed by Hamilton in qualy under rain in Australia, China 2014. We will not even talk about the rape of Hamilton against him in Suzuka 2014 in 1v1 race. About Silverstone 2015 we all now Hamilton was so slow because of tires freeze due to his brake balance
No and no:
- in four wet races between them Rosberg was twice considerably quicker (USA, GB) and twice Hamilton (Monaco Suzuka). That's a fact and no, the latter wasn't "rape" if you can count (and care I don't) speed difference in USA and GB was bigger
- I've never heard of "brake balance" excuse. What kind of reason is that anyway? Change it. Always some BS excuse No, It was a matter of tyres, conditions and drivers dealing with. Roberg was dealing with it 1-2 s quicker per lap. Problem disappeared after pitstop (change of tyres) and Rosberg ending ~8-10 s behind.
- Tue LH was couple of time quicker in wet Q early '14 but I (and I think Rosberg) will it take because it makes his dry Q advantage even more visible
- Before '14 one Q vs Q is hardly a case that justifies stupid statements like that , impossible to compare cars anyway
Dude you really do hate Hamilton, you must be sick as a parrot these days with Lewis winning all the time. Having more poles and race wins than any current driver must really hurt. And when you think only 2 people who have contested over 100 races have a better win percentage than Lewis, it really does make him a living legend! Chill out man and relax a bit. It's bad for your health.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Free practice tomorrow! =D> Might give us something meaningful to talk about rather than arguing over the minutiae of who's good in the wet and who's great in the wet, and who's not as good as the guys who are great but better than the guys who are good, by taking a couple of results that have a lot of other variables and trying to somehow extrapolate driver skill in a way that would make a statistician reel in abject horror. #-o