2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

TAG wrote:Four isms in one post, try and top that!
I'm pretty sure that's how wars start.
SectorOne wrote:I´m gonna pretend it never happened...
I'm definitely sure that's how most people cope with my antics.

ds.raikkonen

dans79 wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: People used to scorn at Vettel because he had the best car underneath him and hence the dominance.
Again, this seems overly simplistic.

I disliked Vettel back then, and It had nothing to do with him winning it had a lot to do with how he acted when he wasn't. For example, over the radio in 2012 Monza when he got a penalty. Since, I've pretty much decided that in my opinion the big issue was the toxic nature of our RBR management.
Hamilton too is not the happiest soul when he is not winning :)
What I want to see is Hamilton starting from the pit lane/first lap spin etc and ending up on the podium/top 6 like Vettel at Abu Dhabi circa 2012/Brazil 2012. I believe he will fully deserve the WC then, not always starting from the front and winning.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

GPR-A duplicate2

ds.raikkonen wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: People used to scorn at Vettel because he had the best car underneath him and hence the dominance.
Again, this seems overly simplistic.

I disliked Vettel back then, and It had nothing to do with him winning it had a lot to do with how he acted when he wasn't. For example, over the radio in 2012 Monza when he got a penalty. Since, I've pretty much decided that in my opinion the big issue was the toxic nature of our RBR management.
What I want to see is Hamilton starting from the pit lane/first lap spin etc and ending up on the podium/top 6 like Vettel at Abu Dhabi circa 2012/Brazil 2012. I believe he will fully deserve the WC then, not always starting from the front and winning.
Short memory isn't it? Here are some statistics for Lewis.
Austria 2014, started 9th and finished second.
Germany 2014, started 16th and finished 3rd.
Hungary 2014, started from pit lane and finished 3rd. And finally won the Championship.
Happy now? :!: :!: :!: And to quench more thirst of yours, go back and watch 2012 and see how, cruel luck and McLaren mess snatched a potential championship from him. How many times did Vettel suffered disastrous starts to the season with multiple mechanical failures that gave considerable points advantage to the championship contender and still ended up winning the championships? Like Lewis did in 2014 and how he has come back this year.
This year, already he started the Chinese GP from the back of the grid, then suffered a front wing failure at the first corner, due to the mess created by other drivers and still managed a 7th place :!:
And most likely, he would start from either pit lane or from the back of the grid this year in Spa to absorb the engine penalties and might just end up on podium.

ds.raikkonen

GPR-A wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:
dans79 wrote: Again, this seems overly simplistic.

Short memory isn't it? Here are some statistics for Lewis.
Austria 2014, started 9th and finished second.
Germany 2014, started 16th and finished 3rd.
Hungary 2014, started from pit lane and finished 3rd. And finally won the Championship.
Happy now? :!: :!: :!: And to quench more thirst of yours, go back and watch 2012 and see how, cruel luck and McLaren mess snatched a potential championship from him. How many times did Vettel suffered disastrous starts to the season with multiple mechanical failures that gave considerable points advantage to the championship contender and still ended up winning the championships? Like Lewis did in 2014 and how he has come back this year.
This year, already he started the Chinese GP from the back of the grid, then suffered a front wing failure at the first corner, due to the mess created by other drivers and still managed a 7th place :!:
And most likely, he would start from either pit lane or from the back of the grid this year in Spa to absorb the engine penalties and might just end up on podium.
True, I forgot about Germany 2014. He gained quite a few places in Austria 2014 on the first lap and did not let Rosberg pass (who was on a diff strategy) in Hungary 2014, down right refused the team to let him pass (similar to Multi 2-1?). Pretty sure Rosberg would've been crucified for that, had it been the other way round.
Cruel luck at McLaren affected Raikkonen as well, they all have to deal with it. Let's see what happens at Spa.
Don't sound so exasperated, this is just a discussion, people do forget things.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Vasconia

NathanOlder wrote:
ChrisM40 wrote:British media in pro-british sportsman shock...

Serious, why is it a surprise to anyone that the BRITISH media support a BRITISH driver, or tennis player for that matter. Only in Britain is patriotism a dirty word, even to brexiters.
The British are seemingly not allowed to be patriotic!
Everyone else is, not us. Crazy world we live in.
I love how the media occasionally get well behind Lewis, or Jenson for that matter.
Once again, With which countries are making you this comparison?

To support a driver is good and understandable, but a GOOD sport tv-coverage requires commentars who no only have good knowledge about the sport, but also a minimum grade of objectivity, I dont want to watch a patriotic fanatic on the TV(I had enough in Spain with a certain commentator). How much I miss Murray Walker! he supported the British drivers but first of all he was a F1 fan and he never used to speak badly about a driver.

ds.raikkonen

Vasconia wrote:To support a driver is good and understandable, but a GOOD sport tv-coverage requires commentars who no only have good knowledge about the sport, but also a minimum grade of objectivity, I dont want to watch a patriotic fanatic on the TV(I had enough in Spain with a certain commentator). How much I miss Murray Walker! he supported the British drivers but first of all he was a F1 fan and he never used to speak badly about a driver.
My thoughts exactly, commentators going ga-ga over certain drivers is a pain to watch. Sometimes I hit the mute button while watching, especially at the start and end of the race.
I believe Sky give the option of watching the race from on-board cam, probably that does not have any commentary. I ve d/l some races from youtube which have only on-board footage from different cars, found it to be good.

Phil

ds.raikkonen wrote: Don't sound so exasperated, this is just a discussion, people do forget things.
That's a very selective memory if one can remember a singular performance from a 2012 race, yet completely forget what was the talking point of pretty much the entire 2014 season.

I'd also recommend going back on the Hungary 2014 race. There seems to be more selective memory at play there...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle
Jolle

I actually like and prefer the English commentators (I'm not British by the way). They tend to cheer the exceptional drivers and drives instead of favoring their fellow britts too much. And yes, at the moment they love Hamilton, but he's, at the moment, delivering some great racing.

If you watch back the exceptional drives by: Senna, Raikkonen and Alonso, the British commentators give them the praise they deserve. Where it goes wrong for drivers when they have a nasty streak about them. Schumacher was a good example. For years after the 1994 conclusion the phrase "to do a Schumacher" (crashing into your opponent to win) was heart a couple of times on the telly. And to be fair, Jerez 1997 and Monaco years later didn't help.

dans79

ds.raikkonen wrote: Hamilton too is not the happiest soul when he is not winning :)
What I want to see is Hamilton starting from the pit lane/first lap spin etc and ending up on the podium/top 6 like Vettel at Abu Dhabi circa 2012/Brazil 2012.
did you watch the Spanish GP in 2012?
Lewis was striped of pole thanks to the team under fueling the car. he started 24th and climbed all the way to 8th.
197 104 103 7

ds.raikkonen

Phil wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: Don't sound so exasperated, this is just a discussion, people do forget things.
That's a very selective memory if one can remember a singular performance from a 2012 race, yet completely forget what was the talking point of pretty much the entire 2014 season.

I'd also recommend going back on the Hungary 2014 race. There seems to be more selective memory at play there...
That performance stands out as he went from pit lane to the podium, Hamilton hasn't. Also, first lap spin and finishing 6th with a damaged car, Hamilton hasn't. Please do bear in mind, I don't have anything against Hamilton's performance or his race craft, what my POINT was his performance hasn't been out of this world as compared to previous world champions like Vettel, Alonso etc to justify what is being written and said about him.

Jolle
Jolle

ds.raikkonen wrote:
Phil wrote:

That performance stands out as he went from pit lane to the podium, Hamilton hasn't. Also, first lap spin and finishing 6th with a damaged car, Hamilton hasn't. Please do bear in mind, I don't have anything against Hamilton's performance or his race craft, what my POINT was his performance hasn't been out of this world as compared to previous world champions like Vettel, Alonso etc to justify what is being written and said about him.
Uhm... in Hungary '14 he did go off track with cold brakes after a pit lane start, damaging his wing and finished on the podium. And a race later in Germany without the spin basically the same thing. Or winning Monaco while he had a blown tire during the race. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton had similar kind of great races and similar bad ones. What's more important and what separates them from other great drivers like Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Massa that they almost consistently outperform their teammates and were (race winning) fast right at their debut.

flickerf1
flickerf1

dans79 wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: Hamilton too is not the happiest soul when he is not winning :)
What I want to see is Hamilton starting from the pit lane/first lap spin etc and ending up on the podium/top 6 like Vettel at Abu Dhabi circa 2012/Brazil 2012.
Lewis was striped of pole thanks to the team under fueling the car. he started 24th and climbed all the way to 8th.
On a track that's notoriously difficult to pass on as well.
The Wicked + The Divine.

ds.raikkonen

Jolle wrote:Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton had similar kind of great races and similar bad ones. What's more important and what separates them from other great drivers like Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Massa that they almost consistently outperform their teammates and were (race winning) fast right at their debut.
Agree 100%

LionKing
LionKing

dans79 wrote:
All the way up to the 8th (finishing a minute and half behind)? Good one...
He had a car that was 6 tenths quicker then the next car in quali.

ds.raikkonen

LionKing wrote:
dans79 wrote:
All the way up to the 8th (finishing a minute and half behind)? Good one...
He had a car that was 6 tenths quicker then the next car in quali.
Alonso would've finished 5th in that car :lol: