2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

ds.raikkonen wrote:
LionKing wrote:
dans79 wrote:
did you watch the Spanish GP in 2012?
Lewis was striped of pole thanks to the team under fueling the car. he started 24th and climbed all the way to 8th.
All the way up to the 8th (finishing a minute and half behind)? Good one...
He had a car that was 6 tenths quicker then the next car in quali.
Alonso would've finished 5th in that car :lol:
Racing at your home Grand Prix gives an extra half a second of pace so that's not really comparable. :wink:

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Previous era when it was free in LaSexta it was awfull, the bias for Alonso was disgusting even for Alonso fans like myself, but now in MovistarF1, apart from the journalist who is just that, a journalist with some bias for Alonso and Sainz, the rest is a pretty good broadcasting. Pedro de la Rosa and Toni Cuquerella makes the best broadcasting I´ve seen. Pre-race programs are really interesting with technical reports and comparisons, and race comments explaining different strategies, each driver option, etc. is remarkable.

And they don´t have any problem praising Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen or anyone doing a great race. I really hated previous era, but this one is so good I can only recommend it
+1. The bias has been a little bit increased by the main commentator but its still better than it used to be with La Sexta.

And as I old MSC fan its nice to listen to some nice comments about his racecraft, mainly thanks to Joan Villadelprat.

Andres125sx

OMG, I said Cuquerella? Not sure what I was thinking about, he´s Villadelprat obviously

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:OMG, I said Cuquerella? Not sure what I was thinking about, he´s Villadelprat obviously
Haha I was a Little bit surprised. :D

flickerf1
flickerf1

2016 British Grand Prix - Onboard highlights https://vimeo.com/174607578
Last edited by flickerf1 on 15 Jul 2016, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Juzh

Rosberg chasing ves with that low mounted cam is just savage.

NathanOlder

Lewis's stats put him down as a great. and if he wins this years title, there will only be a couple of stats that Seb has better, i think most wins in a season, and consecutive wins.

How someone can argue that Lewis is not a great is beyond disbelief
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sosic2121
sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:Lewis's stats put him down as a great. and if he wins this years title, there will only be a couple of stats that Seb has better, i think most wins in a season, and consecutive wins.

While Seb was champion, everyone said he had the best car(which he did) and that he would still have to prove him self.
All that is true.
In my eyes, he did that to some point during last year.

Same thing is with Lewis. He has THE BEST car in history of F1, and a team mate that is considered average.
But during his career he also failed couple of times.
Maybe next year mercedes will produce inferior car, rosberg will sink into midfield, but Lewis will still fight for wins and title.

IMHO, only great driver in f1 today is Alonso.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

sosic2121 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:Lewis's stats put him down as a great. and if he wins this years title, there will only be a couple of stats that Seb has better, i think most wins in a season, and consecutive wins.

While Seb was champion, everyone said he had the best car(which he did) and that he would still have to prove him self.
All that is true.
In my eyes, he did that to some point during last year.

Same thing is with Lewis. He has THE BEST car in history of F1, and a team mate that is considered average.
But during his career he also failed couple of times.
Maybe next year mercedes will produce inferior car, rosberg will sink into midfield, but Lewis will still fight for wins and title.

IMHO, only great driver in f1 today is Alonso.
Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso and Hamilton proved himself in the McLaren.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hamilton is the only driver to have won at least one race in every year of his F1 career. His rate of finishing races on the podium (53%) or finishing in the points (80%) is also better than anyone in the modern era (Schumacher, Prost and Senna included). His points finishing rate is second only to Fangio who scored points 82% of the time! Vettel is 2-3% behind Hamilton in both of those metrics. Hamilton's done that whilst sharing the garage with two different world champions and a driver who beat (an admittedly older) Schumacher three seasons in a row.

You may not like Hamilton but you can't deny he's been very effective in his career to date - even in his nadir year of 2011, when he did everything he could to torpedo himself, he still won a 3 races.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

flickerf1 wrote:2016 British Grand Prix - Onboard highlights https://vimeo.com/174607578
That's a really good video compilation. The part where Rosberg is chasing Max is impressive. Amazing how much that Mercedes is bouncing him around - I wonder how much of that is wake turbulence affecting his helmet as his head is really getting shaken about.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:Hamilton is the only driver to have won at least one race in every year of his F1 career. His rate of finishing races on the podium (53%) or finishing in the points (80%) is also better than anyone in the modern era (Schumacher, Prost and Senna included). His points finishing rate is second only to Fangio who scored points 82% of the time! Vettel is 2-3% behind Hamilton in both of those metrics. Hamilton's done that whilst sharing the garage with two different world champions and a driver who beat (an admittedly older) Schumacher three seasons in a row.

You may not like Hamilton but you can't deny he's been very effective in his career to date - even in his nadir year of 2011, when he did everything he could to torpedo himself, he still won a 3 races.
Stats means nothing in F1

To me the three greats are indeed greats, but my rating has changed during past seasons. I struggled to accept Vettel in this group, but he´s proved to deserve it. OTOH Lewis has proved to be not too reliable, he mekes more mistakes than he should. And Alonso is hard to judge on a McLaren, his seasons in red proved he´s one of the greatest of all times, but now I´m not sure if he still keep same hungry.

I see Lewis like one of those who can be fastest on grid, but need to be in good mood. Alonso is the opposite, maybe not the fastest but he´s a clock, always at same pace. I see Vettel something in between

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
To me the three greats are indeed greats, but my rating has changed during past seasons. I struggled to accept Vettel in this group, but he´s proved to deserve it. OTOH Lewis has proved to be not too reliable, he mekes more mistakes than he should.
The whole points per race and podia per race stats show he is actually extremely reliable. He had one bad year, 2011, where he went la-la but other than that he's bagged points and podia almost metronomically.

He's had a number of incidents with team mates because, unlike Vettel and Schuie and Alonso, he's driven against strong team mates most of his career. Likewise Senna and Prost. Indeed Prost ended up vetoing Senna later in their career at Williams because he knew how strong Senna was.

What people don't like about Hamilton is that he is gobby and rappy and tattooed etc. He's arrogant and full of his own ability. He knows he's good and he's comfortable with it.

What he isn't is political. On the odd times he's tried to be, he's made a mess of it. Schuie, Prost, Alonso, Vettel are all examples of political drivers. They win as many races in the garage as on the track. Hamilton, like Senna and Mansell, just lets his driving do the talking, they're "ego drivers" if you will: their speed comes from their self belief. He's learnt to do that following 2011 and that change has been called "maturity" by some commentators. That's what makes Rosberg's job so difficult. Rosberg is a political driver too, in my opinion, and like Prost before him, he's finding it difficult to beat the "ego driver" on the other side of the garage.

jurinius
jurinius

This an old time debate about the "nonconformist genius" caricatured as arrogant and the "humble hard worker" always appreciated. You choose whats suit to you, 70% percent of Hamilton fans like his f1 activity represented by Stats indeed.

I remember myself telling Vettel fans that the only thing making me happy is that I look this guy even on his messed weekend trying to steal the pole position or a race win to RBR. Now he got the silver arrow the best car out there, so its your time to come every weekend knowing the result at the end and keep smiling and respect his work.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

The_table

Just_a_fan wrote:Hamilton is the only driver to have won at least one race in every year of his F1 career. His rate of finishing races on the podium (53%) or finishing in the points (80%) is also better than anyone in the modern era (Schumacher, Prost and Senna included). His points finishing rate is second only to Fangio who scored points 82% of the time! Vettel is 2-3% behind Hamilton in both of those metrics. Hamilton's done that whilst sharing the garage with two different world champions and a driver who beat (an admittedly older) Schumacher three seasons in a row.

Well Hamilton started his career with Mclaren, you could argue that helps him a lot in the stats. (He has also never been in a REALLY bad car wich helps a lot.(ie: Alonso in the last two years.))

Don't get me wrong, i really like Lewis :)