Catalunya simulation data

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ciro Pabón

Catalunya simulation data

I am trying to simulate the track times in Catalunya, just to learn a little. I want to be able to do it with just three parameters: maximum braking, maximum acceleration and maximum lateral force available.

Right now I have got half the circuit drawn, with a, let's say, 5 meter maximum error and a probable 0.4 m error.

So:

1. Have any of you data on this year's maximum braking force, acceleration or maximum lateral force versus speed for any car? An educated guess, perhaps?

It should be numbers at least similar to the numbers of a car tested at Catalunya for which I can get real lap times.

2. Has anybody tried to do this same thing?

I mean, I would be very grateful for superelevation data (which I cannot get from Google), or, in the best of the worlds, for a track layout with measures in meters. It could be any track, not only Catalunya.

3. Is anybody interested enough to collaborate with this simulation?

I can provide the CAD drawing with both lane edges, curve radius and length, transitions initial radius and length and straight's length that I have got from the Google Earth pictures (corrected and projected, of course). The drawings are superposed on the satellite photos and are in real WGS84 coordinates (this means you could check them with a normal GPS).
Ciro

Reca
Reca

Did you download Lapsim from http://www.bosch-motorsport.com ? It’s a free, but quite interesting program for lap time simulation, you can set a quantity of parameters of the car, engine etc. It comes with few tracks but it’s easy to add further from data acquisition systems or, more simply, from games. I’ve made very easily maps for Malaysia, Imola and Monza track (the latter also adding real altitude data) using gp4 and the f1perfview to convert in the suitable format the “telemetry” data of speed, acceleration, steering angle and few others required. Furthermore Lapsim works in Matlab ambient so all the data are then easily available to play with.
Here Malaysia and Monza maps plotted with Matlab :
[IMG:152:119]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6287 ... 7sw.th.jpg[/img]
[IMG:152:97]http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8936 ... 6vw.th.jpg[/img]
Obviously the level of accuracy depends mainly by the quality of the layout in the game simulation.
I think that other circuits, the more recent ones not available on the original game, should be available on the web but for that other guys with more experience about these simulations certainly know more, it’s a few years I don’t play anymore. Now I don’t have Gp4 installed but I’m sure someone around here can make a clean lap at Catalunya with Gp4 and send me the performance file, from that I can use lapsim and make the map if you want.

As for data for braking, you can find them at http://www.brembo.it , these are average data from F1 telemetry hence should be fairly accurate. Unfortunately at the moment only the first 3 tracks are available so I can give you for Barcelona only data relative to 2004.
Technical outline
Length: 4.627 km
Number of laps: 66 (305.256 Km)
Type of circuit: Medium
Number of brakings: 6
Pole 2004:
M. Schumacher 1.15.022
Time spent under braking per lap, season 2004: 14%

This is the circuit mostly used for tests. The trend is to use UL and HD calipers with 25mm brake discs and 25mm brake pads.
The Caixa braking is characterized by jumping during the braking, jamming of the wheel (wheel jamming) and it is easier to loose the corner apex.

Braking 1 (for Elf corner)
Initial speed 315 [Km/h]
Final speed 135 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 130 [m]
Braking time 1.9 [sec]
Maximum deceleration 4.0 [g]
Maximum disc temperature 850 °C (1562F)
Maximum pedal load 90 [Kg]

Braking 2 (for Repsol corner)
Initial speed 295 [Km/h]
Final speed 140 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 110 [m]
Braking time 1.8 [sec]
Maximum disc temperature 800 °C (1472F)

Braking 3 (for Seat corner)
Initial speed 250 [Km/h]
Final speed 100 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 100 [m]
Braking time 2.0 [sec]
Maximum disc temperature 900 °C (1652F)
Maximum pedal load 75 [Kg]

Braking 4 (for the left hand corner before Campsa, don’t know the name)
Initial speed 260 [Km/h]
Final speed 140 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 90 [m]
Braking time 1.7 [sec]
Maximum deceleration 3.5 [g]
Maximum disc temperature 750 °C (1382F)
Maximum pedal load 85 [Kg]

Braking 5 (for La Caixa corner)
Initial speed 305 [Km/h]
Final speed 90 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 140 [m]
Braking time 2.6 [sec]
Maximum disc temperature 900 °C (1652F)

Braking 6 (for Banc Sabadell corner)
Initial speed 200 [Km/h]
Final speed 135 [Km/h]
Stopping distance 90 [m]
Braking time 1.5 [sec]
Maximum deceleration 2.5 [g]
Maximum disc temperature 750 °C (1382F)
Maximum pedal load 45 [Kg]
Hope this help.

Ciro Pabón

Reca wrote:Did you download Lapsim from http://www.bosch-motorsport.com ?
Thanks, Reca.
Ciro

Ciro Pabón

In the remote chance somebody is interested, here is the drawing of Catalunya's track in AutoCAD 2000, after a couple of nights of restitution.

This is how it looks (not bad, for humble AutoCAD :wink: ):

I got, to my surprise, a length of the circuit of 4734 meters. Brembo says that the old circuit I drawn has 4727 meters! I do not think that my restitution is that good, but I am happy.

The values for radius versus speed are also very consistent, except for La Caixa curve, which has the old layout in Google Earth's photos and in the Brembo data has the new layout for this year.

BTW, does anybody has data or photos on this new layout for La Caixa curve? :-k
Ciro