Sidepods and Flipups

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
m3_lover

Sidepods and Flipups

In this picture of the Mclaren racer the winglet on top of the sidepods and flipups have holes in them. What are the advantages of this because other teams do put those holes in the winglets on the sidepods or the flip-ups. Wouldn't the holes create a low pressure zone like it does on the front wings?

Also what is that wing above the engine cover for?

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... en01my.jpg
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The flipups on the sidepods in that picture have become two element wings. On the McLaren, the front wings are three elements, and the rear wings two elements. Each element interacts with the other, and they contribute more downforce. In this case, two is better than one, and sometimes three better than two. As a side note, three element rear wings are not allowed by the rules, or we would probably see them there too.
For the speeds and lift versus drag desired, this system works best right now. You can see something very similar in an aircraft flap system, which is designed for lots of lift at lower speeds.
The wing device on the engine cover does not directly generate lift in itself, but it smooths and redirects the airflow in that area. That airflow later impacts on the rear wing, and it is more efficient than of the air was not conditioned by that airbox element.

Tp
Tp

The Ferrari 248 also has slits in the winglet just in front of the rear of the tire and it was said (on this forum) that it re-energies the airflow.