2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
lebesset
lebesset

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Wynters wrote:
basti313 wrote:Looking at last year's start, the way to the first corner is so long, that the Mercs really need to bottle the start to be in danger. They outpowered the other cars in slipstream for a few car lengths.
The thinner air should also make the slipstream less effective so I suspect the long run should be less of an advantage than usual. It will be interesting to see who gets off the line well. Ricciardo may have ended up in 2nd at the CotA but that was more about Rosberg being hesitant going into the first corner than about a difference in starts. I think only Hamilton is likely to be vulnerable.

One thing that does occur to me is that, if I were Verstappen or Ricciardo I'd be thinking 'Neither Merc will take any chances tomorrow, if I can get my nose into a gap then I'm probably through.' Could make it exciting on that first lap.

It'd be great to see Hulkenberg get to the end of the first lap in one piece as well. Another good qualifying performance from him. Force India continue to impress. Fastest team per buck spent?

Raikonnen beats Vettel again, doesn't feel right. Perhaps Vettel really was a 'one-hit wonder' and was entirely dependent on the double-diffuser but I'm sure there is more to him that that. For whatever reason, he just can't find his mojo.

Rosberg pulled it out of the bag on the only lap that mattered. Mind-gaming Hamilton, or did it really take him four sessions to work out that he needed to work harder to warm up the tyres (I believe that was Lauda's explanation)?
maybe they gave rosberg a bit more power for his last lap ....no , they wouldn't have done that ...would they ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mansell89
Mansell89

Quick question for you guys on tonights race:

A lot of talk about Red Bulls super soft first stint making this interesting. Can any of you see any reason why they could be quicker on two stops against Hamilton (assuming he one stops)?

They will have to pit so early that they basically nullify themselves, unless they can find some mystical tyre life in them for the first time all weekend?

cooken
cooken

I think the only way it will work is if they get in front of either one or both of the Mercs at the start. This will hamper the Merc first stint and force them to adjust strategy. If Mercs are leading after turn 3 it won't be interesting at all in my opinion.

I also think whoever is leading the race will have an even bigger advantage here due to brake temperature.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Is Kimi starting the race on Soft or SS?

joseff

Hi guys,

Why is nobody on IRC? :|

F1NAC

joseff wrote:Hi guys,

Why is nobody on IRC? :|
Too early, most of them sleeping during race, etc.

Phillyred
Phillyred

Crap, nevermind. :D

Wynters
Wynters

lebesset wrote:maybe they gave rosberg a bit more power for his last lap ....no , they wouldn't have done that ...would they ?
Surely that would be too risky? Both Mercs would already be at maximum 'safe' power. Rosberg only needs to finish third to allow him to keep his feet up through the last few races and that would be easy enough starting from 4th. But, if he blows his engine then it's a whole different matter. Absolutely not worth pushing it beyond 'safe' tolerances.

joseff

When IS the race? formula1.com said it should have started 11 mins ago.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

you do know that there's ben daylight savings, right?

should start in 42 minutes
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

joseff

No, I didn't know that. Thank you.
I merely used formula1.com's "convert to local time" function. D'oh.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:you do know that there's ben daylight savings, right?

should start in 42 minutes
It is FIA who don´t know, or they thought it was a 2h difference instead of 1, as they clearly have on their web race should have started 23 minutes ago :wink:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lol, i admit i havent been giving attention to the f1 website to be honest. also, i imagine that the times are based upon the UK's timetable, so that COULD explain another difference in hours.
I just know that it's supposed to start at 20.00 hours local time in europe, that's still 31 minutes away.

I usually getmyself to know the timescales as i'm not able to watch F1 live here. Well, i want to see it in Sky. I absolutely hate the dutch TV version since ever. I don't know how people 'appreciate' Olav Mol, i've always found his commentary unsupportable. His replacements however are perhaps just as or even worse. I've once watched german RTL version, boy, that
was even far worse.

I enjoyed BBC for a fair amount, the good-old days were fantastic for the BBC F1 coverage. However, somewhat 2009-afterish it went downhill. When Sky took over, and BBC continued 'their own version', I absolutely resented the BBC version with the annoying presence of Eddie Jordan an people who just have no clue what they're doing.

I enjoy Sky quite well to be honest. Yes, there are rather amount of 'stuff' in there that 'they' concider 'entertaining' but i dont feel oblidged to look at that.

back to the matter at hand:

I can't recieve Sky here, so I leech off torrents provided mere hours after the race. I can enjoy the race afterwards in all calmth - BUT i must do all in my power to avoid getting info about the weekend before hand.

I can't check facebook as there are friends who like F1 too and have spoiled it for me.
I can't check general news feeds because since Verstappen jumped in, Dutch media are jumping in on that bandwagon.

So i've made sure that from the start of the race up untill i've downloaded and viewed the race, i am cold turkey on F1 lol.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

flynfrog

Just a reminder we are in live chat at:

http://www.f1technical.net/live/