2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

Circuit Official Website:
http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/form ... grand-prix

FIA Event and Timing Information:
http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ormation-1

Stats and Times:

Track Map:

Tyre Allocation:

2015 Qualifying Results:
Wikipedia: Report, ResultsImage

2015 Race Results:
Wikipedia: Report, ResultsImage

2015 Pole Lap:

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

The 2016 driver championship is getting to a climax with the final round in Abu Dhabi. Given how much controversy this generated and in fear it will dominate the race thread, a decision has been made to concentrate all of the title discussion in a separate topic, right here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 97#p664297. Discussion about the title itself will no longer be allowed in the race thread and will be removed there, along with a warning. The warning will be given indiscriminately no matter what the circumstances are.

ChrisDanger

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

Well, this race is at least bound to have an eventful outcome.

In other news Verstappen needs 6 points more than Vettel to jump up to 4th overall. Verstappen 3rd, Vettel 6th or lower (out at the first corner?), is quite possible.

Pierce89

Stoffel still in the top 20.....lol. I wish Manor, Sauber and Renault were just that little bit quicker to be actually points capable.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

NAPI10

Equation for Hamilton to become WC-
a. Victory with Rosberg 4th or less
b. 2nd with Rosberg 8th or less
c. 3rd with Rosberg 9th or less

raksf1

I think force india will out pace williams...

Samraj_official

raksf1 wrote:I think force india will out pace williams...
ofcourse, force india is a traction beast, and abu dhabi is a stop-go circuit and this favours both FI and Perez together!!!!

iotar__

At this stage it's like with Alonso - Vettel I don't really care any more, these seasons just like Brazil race drag for too long. One millionaire beats another in some fake sport to sell expensive cars, who cares?

2 days later - what about '17, let's check some news :-).

Unc1eM0nty

I remember reading somewhere last week that is was difficult to pass here, what's the problem ? both turns 8 & 11 look like good opportunities.

FrukostScones

Unc1eM0nty wrote:I remember reading somewhere last week that is was difficult to pass here, what's the problem ? both turns 8 & 11 look like good opportunities.
don't believe everything you read.

But pre-DRS it was defintely not easy :mrgreen: ask ALO.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

basti313

Unc1eM0nty wrote:I remember reading somewhere last week that is was difficult to pass here, what's the problem ? both turns 8 & 11 look like good opportunities.
The overtaking itself is not difficult. The problem is, that it is an easy track during the race. While for example the last turn is difficult in Q, no one messes up during the race. So race speed between similar cars is similar and it is not possible to follow through turn 3. Additionally the strategy was too clear and the undercut not efficient.

Might be better this year with maybe slightly different strategies. 1-stop will be impossible like usual, but the we might see SS gambles with US-SS-S or US-S-SS.
Don`t russel the hamster!

WaikeCU

I guess there's two different races Lewis can drive:
1) Do his best as he can and hope Nico doesn't end up on the podium
or
2) Win as slow as he can

Option 1: To do his best as possible and totally dominate the race, but then you have to hope Nico somehow doesn't end up on the podium.

Option 2: Drive slower in front to bunch Nico into the cars behind and hope Red Bulls or Ferrari's can attempt an overtake. Sort of taking Nico out of the comfort zone. When Nico is put under pressure, then he'll maybe make a mistake.

godlameroso

Any takers on pole time?

I'm guessing a 1:39.5 ish.

It's a very difficult track to get a good lap on, many people think that the two straights is where you lose a lot of time, but the truth is only the first long straight after the U-turn requires a lot of engine grunt, the second straight is much shorter, and a good exit from that annoying chicane is more important to carrying speed.

The most critical corners are in no specific order, turns 2 & 3 in the race as they're not flat out. The braking through 4 & 5, exit off of 8, exit of 12, and then every turn until the end of the lap as it's one long corner combination with strange cadence and lots of off camber gradients.

The medium speed corners are the biggest difference makers.

In fact if I were to design an F1 car, I'd make it so that it's handling and downforce get it around sector 3 of the old defunct Indian GP track as fast as possible.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:Any takers on pole time?

Conservative estimate, given the ultra soft tire available. But we did have kind of an underwhelming pole laptimes lately, especially compared to the massive improvements in the early part of the season. It seems the ultimate pace has cooled off a bit, whatever the reasons might be.

godlameroso

Maybe there was a big step in performance taken between the beginning of last year and Abu Dhabi, and another reason could be that the big improvements have come from having a step softer compound at a lot of races this year vs last year. Frankly Mercedes now, is probably about .6 .7 seconds faster in ultimate performance than last year given equal tires.

Also, I don't think there's much difference between the super and ultra softs to warrant anyone dipping into the 1:38's at all during the weekend. I could be wrong however.
Last edited by godlameroso on 16 Nov 2016, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

dans79

Juzh wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Any takers on pole time?

Conservative estimate, given the ultra soft tire available. But we did have kind of an underwhelming pole laptimes lately, especially compared to the massive improvements in the early part of the season. It seems the ultimate pace has cooled off a bit, whatever the reasons might be.
teams switching to 2017 testing mode.
197 104 103 7