Forum organisation - help us

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Forum organisation - help us

I've been thinking about this for some time now as it's sometimes obvious we should need some extra forums here.
Now there is also the car development project for which we would probably need extra seperate forumspace.

The current organisation is
- F1
--- general chat
--- aero
--- mech
- Other motorsports
--- general
- General
--- off topic
--- site feedback

Well if any of you have ideas to add some items, post them here!
My first thoughts are maybe a historical forum, and a seperate group for car development projects with CFD, CAD design, .... ?
We might also get some major help from AES for designing parts so could become interesting ;)

Thanks!

Jason

Thinking that our forum members have posts so many images, a photo gallery maybe nice (after exams maybe? :wink: )...
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

zac510
zac510

I used a few other forums and think that when there are too many forums it gets annoying. I'd like to see it stay the way it is!

manchild
manchild

zac510 wrote:I used a few other forums and think that when there are too many forums it gets annoying. I'd like to see it stay the way it is!
I agree with zac.

vyselegend

I have no idea for a new forum, but recently I thought it would be nice to have a lexical / traduction area. Some sort of grid where you can find all technical words in english (names of engine parts, transmition, keel, etc) and in separate columns the traduction in other languages (italian, german, french, spannish,etc). I had this idea because it may be hard sometimes to find you answears in a forum if you don't understand those technical words, and it's typicaly the kind of words you don't find in a classic english/ foreign language dictionnary. what do you think of it?

zac510
zac510

That is a good idea vyselegend. This forum has lots of foreign members.

Principessa

True. But we also have our glossary. (It needs to be updated I know) But I think that if you know a bit of english, what of course you need here on this site...that you can understand the technical stuff

NickT

I like it pretty much the way it is but I think vyselegend's idea is great for everyone :D
NickT

vyselegend

I see your point principessa. I did not intend to make any complaints about the glossary. But the two things are complementary:
Let's say for instance you're german and you don't understand what is the meaning of "engine torque". Then, you go to the glossary and find an explaination so you understand the disscussion.
But if you come and have something to tell or ask about "Maschine Drehkraft" and you don't know the english word, the glossary won't help you very much, unless you have the patience to read every word explaination till you find one that match with your word.

The other advantage I see is that can help every one of us to dig a little further in foreign press. I took german for example, it is a language I know a little bit, and they have a very rich press about motorsports, but every time I land on a german page, I get lost with technical words, and have to withdraw. Here the traduction section could help.
The only bad thing I see in that idea is that it represent a terrible work to do if you and tomba have to do it alone, but maybe every member could help building the page...
Well, that was just an idea.

Principessa

Indeed it would cost us a lot of time! I think it's an idea to consider if we can count on the help of the members. Tomba and I will discuss it :wink:

NickT

Principessa wrote:Indeed it would cost us a lot of time! I think it's an idea to consider if we can count on the help of the members. Tomba and I will discuss it :wink:
Excellent news, thanks Principessa
NickT

Ciro Pabón

Well, I helped to write a glossary of technical terms for roads many years ago. This was a glossary for USA, England and Latin America only. You wouldn't believe the many differences between countries that speak the same language. There were almost an entry for each country in each term.

If the forum wants it, I can see if I can convert it from its current book inception to an electronic document. It is really long... no wonder: I wrote it.

I do not know if the PIARC (http://www.piarc.org) has a glossary like the one vyselegend needs. They used the one we made for the OAS countries, but this was 14 years ago... my children. If the glossary says "Guido Radelat et al.", this is mine... :oops:

I agree with Principessa: it is an heroic task of many months. Maybe it could be sort of a Wiki-glossary (I wonder if we could use Wiktionary for this, opening a section for race cars). This way every time somebody finds a term, and feels generous, it could be added to the glossary.

What I want is a section devoted to testing, car simulation, car games and racetracks. Hey, after you finish your car you need to drive and test it. Setup is the real engineering! :D (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I guess I am a little lonely in this topic (fools! :) ), so I say: be conservative, like Manchild recommends.
Last edited by Ciro Pabón on 03 May 2006, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ciro

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...to me a separate Development Project forum seems to be a good idea!

Now the question from my side is: Is it possible to limit the members that access that area?

The thing is that we need to organize ourselves for the project and it would be a big pain in the a** to have people from outside the project criticising the project and the way we approach it.

To me the best way would be for the people who are interested in participating should more or less offer themselves to the project and should also give us prior to acceptance of what they can bring to the project (CAD skills, CFD skills, programming skills, photoshop skills, even fabrication...we might build some parts as prototype parts, etc)....and after that they'd be accepted or rejected. We don't need people who simply just "stand around and do nothing!"

In any case we would keep the rest of the forum of the progress...we could create a webpage or a blog for more general info.

So basicly my sugestion would be to keep the Development project more or less limited to people who can really help.

Ciro Pabón

Monstrobolaxa wrote:Well...to me a separate Development Project forum seems to be a good idea!
mech_coen opened a separate forum. I think he agreed on this with Tomba. :oops:

http://www.phpbbserver.com/worldvehicledev/

Dont't worry about the crowding: almost nobody hast posted... :D
Ciro

mep

Jason wrote
Thinking that our forum members have posts so many images, a photo gallery maybe nice (after exams maybe? )...
I tried to get such a photo topic some time ago but I felt
like it was not really welcome.
viewtopic.php?t=2281

Ok, this is my attempt to achieve this and my capabilities are limited.
I think a real gallery would be better than just a forum topic.
I still believe that most of us have privat photos of Formula 1 or other
race cars. I think we should share them with others especially because
some of us are really doing something with them.

It should be possible for everybody to easily post some photos.
There should be a clear structure and it should be easy to sort them.
There should be a overall view to see many pictures on one page like here http://www.f1total.com/bilder/cat.php?c=06sil4

I would help you with controling this gallery to prevent misuse of it.