Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
morefirejules08
morefirejules08

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

bucker wrote:
GPR-A wrote:How the car would have looked, minus the extra length.

(Image courtesy: Gianlu D'Alessandro)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Wb68-WAAAlu-I.jpg
FIA please limit wheelbase dimesion. Short wheelbase car looks amazing!
I for one prefer the longer wheelbase, I think it looks more elegant and less like it's already had a shunt up the derriere

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

That T-wing seems to mount quite neatly to the car, it doesn't look like something that been botched on, the engine cover is bulkier in that rear to support it which suggests it's not a temporary component.

diego.liv
diego.liv

1)The top, bigger red arrow indicating something spoon-shaped, coming from the rear tyre structure

2) Starting from the rear tyre floor slots and going up, there's the vertical fin, then there's a silver curved piece, maybe attached tothe rear tyre structure as well

dans79

I don't remember seeing anyone with rear wing end-plates open like that before, did I miss it previously or is this something completely new?
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

The sidepod intakes are almost non existent!!!

Blackout

Toro Rosso invented those open enplate louvers
GPR-A wrote:The sidepod intakes are almost non existent!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5XSGRLXAAAwToD.jpg
Thanks to max width /near 1800mm sidepods. They help them put thinner but wider intakes and thinner 'size zero' engine cover and overcut...
Last edited by Blackout on 23 Feb 2017, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

GPR-A wrote:The sidepod intakes are almost non existent!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5XSGRLXAAAwToD.jpg

The Inlet area likely to be the same, the new car side pod is much wider so the inlet width has increased and height reduced

Sevach
Sevach

Just_a_fan wrote:Thought about the T fin: isn't it just a way of showing where the old rear wing was? That could be why it's on the shakedown/film car - they're doing something to show how the car has changed with new regs.

I doubt it's so simple as that, though, as this is F1...
I didn't read the rules, but i'm thinking that when the rules to stop mid wings was written they may have neglected this area so high up in the air, what i'm trying to say is, could they have created a legality box in front of the rear wing but didn't bother to write anything about above it?

Hrebimar
Hrebimar

According to Motorsport.com Aldo Costa confirmed T-wing (I still think better name would be T-tray) is being looked into as a possible alternative to the shark fin.

wunderkind
wunderkind

Diesel wrote:That T-wing seems to mount quite neatly to the car, it doesn't look like something that been botched on, the engine cover is bulkier in that rear to support it which suggests it's not a temporary component.
The "t-fin", pantograph, or whatever it's called, definitely looks like a proper piece of aerodynamic part. I think its main purpose is to condition/direct as much airflow to hit the main plane of the rear-wing as possible and minimise airflow drooping en-route to the main plane of the rear-wing and go underneath it and resulting in lost downforce as a result. This is important with the longer wheelbase of the 2017 cars and how the size and shape of the roll-hoop have not changed a great deal from 2016 (except Sauber) will probably make a tangible difference in slow and medium speed curves and corners.

ajprice
ajprice

Hrebimar wrote:According to Motorsport.com Aldo Costa confirmed T-wing (I still think better name would be T-tray) is being looked into as a possible alternative to the shark fin.
If the area where that T-wing sits is an open area for aero, could we be seeing any teams bringing back something like the McLaren Peugeot engine cover wing? (I'm thinking Force India because that car is ugly enough as it is to take it :) )

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

3.8.3 No bodywork between the rear wheel centre line and a line 400mm forward of the rear wheel
centre line, which is more than 375mm from the car centre line, may be more than 300mm
above the reference plane.
I guess the T wing is permitted..if I am not mistaken.

matt_s
matt_s

Given those dimensions, a much longer wing would seemingly be permissible.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

morefirejules08 wrote:
bucker wrote:
GPR-A wrote:How the car would have looked, minus the extra length.

(Image courtesy: Gianlu D'Alessandro)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5Wb68-WAAAlu-I.jpg
FIA please limit wheelbase dimesion. Short wheelbase car looks amazing!
I for one prefer the longer wheelbase, I think it looks more elegant and less like it's already had a shunt up the derriere

Agree, Longer is Better.

godlameroso

What does EQ Power+ mean?
Saishū kōnā