Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
misterbeam
misterbeam

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

clipsy1H wrote:Nothing spectacular, it's a basic car from last year (with more rear room by moving forward) with changes to fit new regulations, to me this car is nothing but normal. In matter of performance they will be same as last year nothing more o less but the good things is if others teams can bring something up they will beat Merc this year. So for now is up to Ferrari, RedBull and maybe Renault with McLaren to show somethings and take the lead because they can right now. Mercedes was so arrogant in this winter that they just fit last year car with 2017 regulation and 1-2 little things because they are sure no one can do more from last year. Now it's time to take over.

Even if it's almost nothing from last year i like the suspension, there is something to watch in next days and also the side pods which are bad ass.
This car is everything but normal :D

It's really slim compared to what we have seen for far and even compared to last year's W07, the suspension details around the wheels are really amazing.

adrianjordan

First 2017 car that really looks wider than last year.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

matt_s
matt_s

When they asked Valtteri about the lack of fin on the car, his reply was somewhat stuttering and disjointed. It seemed to me that he was trying to avoid saying something.... like: "yeah, isn't it odd that we don't have one....yet!"

Paul

Doesn't look like the usual clean-sheet-new-regs car at all, the "windshield" alone looks like 10th iteration or so.

balalev
balalev

Interesting

Thunder

Paul wrote:Doesn't look like the usual clean-sheet-new-regs car at all, the "windshield" alone looks like 10th iteration or so.
Because it is, they had these for Years now.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunders wrote:
Paul wrote:Doesn't look like the usual clean-sheet-new-regs car at all, the "windshield" alone looks like 10th iteration or so.
Because it is, they had these for Years now.
Yes, that windshield has been there for years, I even remember a SkyF1 interview with Nico asking him about that and if it had any correlation with the helmet design of his own
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Frafer
Frafer

yep, first time we have clothes hangers on a f1 car
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

F1Krof

Car looks very interesting. Seem this time around they've switched their aero philosophy a bit. Instead of usually going for more efficiency, they've gone for more aggressive route. Suspension looks not of this world :wtf: .... Complicated front aero, and I can imagine this just being their launch spec :wtf: . Also the wheelbase, :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ... longest I've seen of them.

However, the car seems a bit fat in the mid section, they've gone for maximum width with their sidepods, interesting take. Let's see what RBR, Ferrari and McLaren . Very exciting =D>

Also, what the hell is that? Camera mountings? :wtf:
Wroom wroom

balalev
balalev

Other image.
Scarbs: Thats something very new for aero! somehow theyve found a little gap in the bodywork regs

Holm86

balalev wrote:Other image.
Scarbs: Thats something very new for aero! somehow theyve found a little gap in the bodywork regs
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5WzdqLWQAEoY3R.jpg:large
Are we sure this is not just camera mounts for their 360° promotional videos?

dren

It's certainly creating DF based on the wing profile. Interesting.
Honda!

dren

Holm86 wrote:
If it was, I think it wouldn't have the wing profile that it does.
Honda!

geraldix
geraldix

Just when everyone was praising this car for being the best looking one so far!

What is this thing supposed to achieve, anyway? It is surely not directing air to the RW... How much downforce could it generate, being that small?

Holm86

dren wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
If it was, I think it wouldn't have the wing profile that it does.
But if they found an aerodynamic loophole, why are they already using it on a shakedown run? Makes no sense to me.