McLaren MCL32 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: McLaren MCL32 Honda

Mesteño wrote:Trying to compare sidepods between top cars of the engine suppliers, it looks the bulkiest to me, but smallest ventilation holes too.
I wouldn't say that. They look pretty compact.
Honda!

turbof1

Thread is being locked. If a friendly plea is made to stick with the topic rules, and 3 posts below that plea is being ignored by discussing the livery, then that's completely disrespectful towards all the others making a decent effort to discuss the actual functionality of the hardware pieces.

Topic will be reopened once violating posts have been removed and warnings have been spread.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

Done. Again stick to the topic rules. Check the first post of the car topic.
#AeroFrodo

godlameroso

a1b2i3r45 wrote:I wonder if the slots in the front wing pylon & the RW are gonna be like the butterfly suspension. One of those radical things that McLaren does just for the heck of it without a clear vision.
I think those slots serve the same function as the nostrils in the FI(direct more airflow under the nose).

On another note, this is a total "launch spec" car, the floor is completely flat, the diffuser is hidden.

The way they're trying to work the air around the rear wing endplates is interesting, are there any shots of the car's rear brake winglets, or suspension uprights?
Saishū kōnā

Jef Patat

This engine must be super efficient, so little air, so little cooling :wtf:
https://twitter.com/Albrodpul/status/835121916713250819 Image

DiogoBrand

The thing is: The car is boring.

If it was a Red Bull car, everyone would be like "Yeah, but simpler is better" or "They're just keeping their cards to their chest". If it was Mercedes everyone would be like "It looks simple, but their secret is on the PU" or "There's a lot hidden underneath the body".
But this is a team that hasn't won a Grand Prix in over four years, and not a championship since 2008, not to mention recent backmarker adventures after a lot of promise, so even if it was as complex as the Mercedes, the first thing people would say is that "They're overcomplicating because they can't manage the airflow properly in a simple way".

My take is: Doesn't look exciting at all, and unless they have something amazing up their sleeves, even their own personnel doesn't believe in race wins for this season, so I'll not be the one to create false expectations here, but if someone wants to, be my guest.

santos

Does all thoose slots make such difference?
I remember the rear wing from Ferrari in 2013 with some tricks, but i think it didn't made anything.

Jef Patat

A car is a sum of all parts, we can't possibly deduct the importance of a part. If it is there you can be quite sure a lot of smart people think it should be there. (agreed, still no guarantee it is better)

k.ko100v

Jef Patat wrote:A car is a sum of all parts, we can't possibly deduct the importance of a part. If it is there you can be quite sure a lot of smart people think it should be there. (agreed, still no guarantee it is better)
Totally agree with you.
I remember the mp4-27 was simple but it was very fast.
IMO Mclaren are concentrate at the efficiency, not at the effеctivness.

I like how different teams are going in different directions. That was missing for a long time.

AMG.Tzan

Weren't the radiator inlets meant to be swept backwards?? Why are Mclaren's swept inwards like last year??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Xero

DiogoBrand wrote:The thing is: The car is boring.
What do you class as boring? The fact it's not radically different from last year or other cars? Boring as it did not meet your wild expectations/fantasies?

DiogoBrand wrote:If it was a Red Bull car, everyone would be like "Yeah, but simpler is better" or "They're just keeping their cards to their chest". If it was Mercedes everyone would be like "It looks simple, but their secret is on the PU" or "There's a lot hidden underneath the body".
But this is a team that hasn't won a Grand Prix in over four years, and not a championship since 2008, not to mention recent backmarker adventures after a lot of promise, so even if it was as complex as the Mercedes, the first thing people would say is that "They're overcomplicating because they can't manage the airflow properly in a simple way".

My take is: Doesn't look exciting at all, and unless they have something amazing up their sleeves, even their own personnel doesn't believe in race wins for this season, so I'll not be the one to create false expectations here, but if someone wants to, be my guest.
Nobody here is saying that this car will win races. In one breath you talk about false expectations, but in another compare it directly to Mercedes and Red Bull. It's a bit contradictory.

Anyway, getting back on track about the technicalities of the car... the more I look at the pictures, the more I'm impressed by the compactness of the sidepods and airbox. That comparison to last years car really shows it off better. They've really trimmed down on the cooling, they must be very comfortable with the new PU's capabilities.

Blackout

Good question.

McMrocks

AMG.Tzan wrote:Weren't the radiator inlets meant to be swept backwards?? Why are Mclaren's swept inwards like last year??
The rule-defined space for the inlet is swept backwards, but the teams dont have to go to the limits. I am happy many teams have not swept it backwards. The cars would actually look like a toy

Jef Patat

AMG.Tzan wrote:Weren't the radiator inlets meant to be swept backwards?? Why are Mclaren's swept inwards like last year??
I think what they are trying to do is use air that is only a little bit disturbed by the front suspension and guide that after the bargeboard to the undercut and feed it to the rear. To that you need the front of the sidepod shaped in certain ways.

Blackout

Blackout wrote:Good question.
Maybe because they are behind the floor (seen from above) so they dont have to be swept backward...