2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

Baku has some high speed turns that are likely flat this year but were just on the edge of being flat last year. Canada has no high speed turns that can't be taken flat out. There are some medium speed turns, most all chicane exits are in the mid speed range. The first chicane and the after bridge chicane, and the wall of champions chicane are all mid speed corners all taken in 4th, the rest are either easy flat or low speed. The first set of corners are double hair pins, slow speed stuff, all mechanical grip, second or third gear, then there's the hair pin before the main straight, second gear corner. Everything else is straights, but it's a short lap so ERS deployment shouldn't be an issue as this circuit plays into harvesting with the constant breaking and only one terminally long straight.
Saishū kōnā

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jun 2017, 20:56
How many true corners are taken in gears above 5th? 130R is flat out, Blanchimont is flat out but they're more like bendy straights than true corners in modern F1 cars. Suzuka's Dunlop curves and first Degna are fast corners and were 4th, pushing 5th maybe, last year. Silverstone's Maggots-Becketts-Chapel complex is high gear stuff but that's rare in modern F1 it seems. Pouhon at Spa is pretty quick too, certainly the second part. Any corner taken in 4 or 5th gear in a modern F1 car is going to be a quickish corner.

Eau Rouge is taken in 7 or 8th gear as well.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Yep. And who's going to call Eau Rouge a kink in a straight? Damn sacrilege!

krisfx
krisfx

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 08:26
Eau Rouge is a dip in a straight, really. Raidillon is a kink :wink:

iotar__

- I'm a bit surprised at Mercedes 'underdog' shouting after Monaco. Didn't they win the previous race on reference track despite giving themselves half a chance with two engine failures? So which should be more important, Monaco or Spain? Why not blame it on the track, set up or conditions (aka SIngapore '15)?

- Maybe Spain and pre Spain situation wasn't like that after all and nothing is new, Ferrari had the best car from the beginning, the fact most people here missed. They underperformed in every race but I won't mention the reasons so as not to affect delicate sensitivities offended by reality. Suffice to say it wasn't evil DRS :-).

- Anyway, most of it is Merc adding artificial spice to this awful season, I bet they'll be shouting about the 'come back' next time.

Juzh

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 08:26
That's exactly what it'll be this year.

Laptime predictions? Mid 1:11s, given that 2016 cars were already quite fast on this track.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Well there's this article on formula1.com:

The best corner in F1 racing? - Eau Rouge through the ages

Doesn't quite sound the same when you say:

The best kink in a straight in F1 racing? - Eau Rouge through the ages

You guys are a bunch of damned heretics! :lol:

Webber2011
Webber2011

So is everyone expecting Red Bull to struggle here ?
Will they be really bad, right off the pace and fight in the midfield, or will they settle into a distant 3rd best Team ?

At the moment I can't see anything to suggest they will challenge Ferrari or Mercedes, but with Mercedes tire woes who knows ?
If the Merc's have trouble getting in the tire window could Red Bull have a chance ?

Ricciardo loves this track, and Max is really starting to get his shite together in Quali and race mode.

What's everyone's thoughts ?

Should we write Red Bull off in this race, or not ?

FrukostScones

Webber2011 wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 13:32
Will they be really bad, right off the pace and fight in the midfield, or will they settle into a distant 3rd best Team ?

At the moment I can't see anything to suggest they will challenge Ferrari or Mercedes, but with Mercedes tire woes who knows ?
If the Merc's have trouble getting in the tire window could Red Bull have a chance ?

Ricciardo loves this track, and Max is really starting to get his shite together in Quali and race mode.

if it is relatively cold and no rain, you can write them off completely.

but Forecast says 25 C and sunny, so track should be in good condition and struggles should be not that bad, but also

as I expect no big Merc tyre struggles, RB will be 3rd team and nothing more.

Maybe MAS or FINDIA will challenge them but I doubt it.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Juzh

Webber2011 wrote:
Ricciardo loves this track
He was beaten quite hard in the last 2 years by kvyat and verstappen. 2014 win is long gone by now.

giantfan10
giantfan10

FrukostScones wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 14:19
Webber2011 wrote:

if it is relatively cold and no rain, you can write them off completely.

but Forecast says 25 C and sunny, so track should be in good condition and struggles should be not that bad, but also

as I expect no big Merc tyre struggles, RB will be 3rd team and nothing more.

Maybe MAS or FINDIA will challenge them but I doubt it.
"For the perfect storm of circumstances that hurts the team – using the ultrasoft tyre on slow speed corners at a track with a low abrasive surface – will repeat themselves in the forthcoming Canadian and Baku Grands Prix.
And if it does not come up with answers before then, things could be even worse."
Motorsports.com.

Sevach
Sevach

Juzh wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 14:38
Webber2011 wrote:
Ricciardo loves this track
He was beaten quite hard in the last 2 years by kvyat and verstappen. 2014 win is long gone by now.
The way he jumped Vettel in 2014 was quite similar to what happened in Monaco with Verstappen one week ago if i remember correctly, right place, right time i think.

godlameroso

Yep any rain will only fall on Friday.
Saishū kōnā

dren

Bold prediction, Mclaren finally scores points, at a power track to boot.
Honda!

djos

dren wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 19:04
Bold prediction, Mclaren finally scores points, at a power track to boot.
I'm expecting to hear "my Indy car had more power than this!" As his ERS dies halfway down the longest straight each lap. :shock:
"In downforce we trust"