2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Frafer
Frafer

Re: 2017 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal, 9-11 June

dren wrote:
05 Jun 2017, 19:04
Bold prediction, Mclaren finally scores points, at a power track to boot.
Stand up comedian practicing here
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

Stormy

Many of you here are calling Merc and Hamilton the favorites. However, how is that possible when Merc are struggling with US tires to bring them to the right temp window? It looks like they'll struggle here through the slow corners. But we shall see though.

PlatinumZealot

The tyres will heat up easier in canada. High speed and heavy braking. Rear tyres will be hot.. So it is easy to bias the heating to the front. Might be an understeer setup for mercedes similar to australia.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nim_peter
nim_peter

Are the Mercedes tyre woes got anything to do with the suspension ban before the season? Ferrari did go to FIA for clarifications, any chance Ferrari found a new trick to keep their tyres in the window like how Mercedes did the last few years? We've seen in past how operating the tyres correctly results in huge laptime gains(Redbull winning every race after tyre change, not sure which year?) I think Lewis mentioned last race or earlier ones that all 4 tyres are heating up differently, lack of interconnected setup or workaround?

Stormy

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 05:42
The tyres will heat up easier in canada. High speed and heavy braking. Rear tyres will be hot.. So it is easy to bias the heating to the front. Might be an understeer setup for mercedes similar to australia.
They may lose a tenth through the slow corners though. Besides will they be able to put the tires quickly in the operation window and keeping them in it?

godlameroso

The rear tires are easy to keep at temperature. Add the fact you want some understeer around CGV and one can live with fronts that don't quite get up to temperature.
Saishū kōnā

Nickel
Nickel

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 14:27
The rear tires are easy to keep at temperature. Add the fact you want some understeer around CGV and one can live with fronts that don't quite get up to temperature.
Sure, except for all the heavy braking events where you probably want your fronts working pretty well. Oh and something about corners with walls right next to them rewards precision and confidence with car placement.

Tires in the operating window is always important.

PlatinumZealot

Mercedes hinted that they solved the problem. So good news even if it was specifically for the slow speed corners seen at Monaco. It would still help us in Singapore.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Nickel wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 05:10
godlameroso wrote:
06 Jun 2017, 14:27
Sure, except for all the heavy braking events where you probably want your fronts working pretty well. Oh and something about corners with walls right next to them rewards precision and confidence with car placement.
That's why you want a little understeer. Nothing inspires confidence like knowing your car isn't going to swap ends coming out of a chicane and into a wall. Understeer doesn't hurt as much as oversteer does around here.

https://youtu.be/Q-UfVoIPhoY
Saishū kōnā

kalinka
kalinka

Changes to the track >

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... Canada_GP/

Happy to see no changes to the layout, but I will miss the old bad-ass gravel traps :)

Vasconia

kalinka wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:38
Changes to the track >

Happy to see no changes to the layout, but I will miss the old bad-ass gravel traps :)
Ups, I thought that weather was going to be sunny this weekend but...

"Although this weekend is looking likely to be compromised by the weather, with heavy thunderstorms predicted"

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

bauc

Vasconia wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:47
kalinka wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:38
Changes to the track >

Ups, I thought that weather was going to be sunny this weekend but...

"Although this weekend is looking likely to be compromised by the weather, with heavy thunderstorms predicted"

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Weather in Canada always spices up the race, unless its a total storm like we had in 2012 when the race lasted for 5 years, but wow what a memory with JB winning the race in the last lap after Vettel spun off and after 5 pitstops including a drive trough penalty for the contact with Hamilton
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vasconia

bauc wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:50

Weather in Canada always spices up the race, unless its a total storm like we had in 2012 when the race lasted for 5 years, but wow what a memory with JB winning the race in the last lap after Vettel spun off and after 5 pitstops including a drive trough penalty for the contact with Hamilton
I think it was in 2011, not 2012. :wink:

Apart from the unacceptable delays that race was epic. As a MS fan I was super happy to see the best Michael back at least for a race. Too bad that it didn´t rain more hahaha. :D

Epic win by Jenson, indeed. =D>

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 11:59
Apart from the unacceptable delays that race was epic. As a MS fan I was super happy to see the best Michael back at least for a race. Too bad that it didn´t rain more hahaha. :D
Ditto. We also witnessed the best of Michael Part 2 in Monaco, didn't we? A Pole lap. If not for the stupidity of Bruno Senna in the previous GP of Spain, he would have won Monaco!

godlameroso

Only rain on Friday if at all, Sunday will be quite windy, may cover the road with leaves. Tailwind down the main straight.
Saishū kōnā