2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nzjrs

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

loner wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:50
techman wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:48
good stuff. at least this mean no penalties next gp and gasly can show the much better pace to brendon. my question why didnt they put the new engine at qualify. damn honda think
its very fishy indeed , Norris saga + comparing the update to the old PU + given Hartley a needed boast :wink:
The two of you together are truly hilarious

turbof1

Topic unlocked again. Stick to the topic, people.
#AeroFrodo

Sayeman

Anyone noticed gasly's speed on the straight? Perez couldn't catch up even with DRS. last year Alonso was getting passed before the DRS activation zone.
Never Give up.

loner

nzjrs wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 19:44
loner wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:50
techman wrote:
10 Jun 2018, 16:48
good stuff. at least this mean no penalties next gp and gasly can show the much better pace to brendon. my question why didnt they put the new engine at qualify. damn honda think
its very fishy indeed , Norris saga + comparing the update to the old PU + given Hartley a needed boast :wink:
The two of you together are truly hilarious
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: for people to not say its a one off like Bahrain :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Sayeman wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 13:07
Anyone noticed gasly's speed on the straight? Perez couldn't catch up even with DRS. last year Alonso was getting passed before the DRS activation zone.
I didn't notice that, but it seems drivers were having difficulty passing on the straights even when clearly quicker. Hulk couldn't pass Ocon, Fernando couldn't pass LeClerc, Gasly couldn't pass Leclerc, I don't know if Grosjean didn't get close enough to Gasly at the closing stages. I think we need to see how they go in France, especially in the race. It's hard to draw conclusions since Hartley was taken out on lap one and Gasly definitely wouldn't have been at optimum due to calibration issues, since he didn't do any sessions with that engine.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

Questioned by Motorsport.com if he could have finished so high while maintaining the previous power unit and avoiding a penalty, Gasly said: "No. We would have finished, looking at the race behind [Sergio] Pérez, I think, would have been the fourteenth. correct choice [change it], because with the other [it] it would not have been possible to return even from P16, in the end it was the right decision ".

"I surpassed Haas, I overtook Force India on the straight, which is the first time this year," he said. "For me [the new engine] looks good." Promising.

He added that the new Honda unit was an improvement in all aspects: "Everything, just more performance in general.

"In terms of battery also, in terms of energy management it is better, it is a good step, yes.

"They [Honda] told us 'it's okay, we're working on an update, it will be a decent update, something that will make a real difference.' And clearly in the data we can see that it's a big step forward."
https://lat.motorsport.com/f1/news/el-n ... y/3120148/
VTEC :lol:

loner

para bellum.

Marti_EF3

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 13:19
Sayeman wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 13:07
I didn't notice that, but it seems drivers were having difficulty passing on the straights even when clearly quicker. Hulk couldn't pass Ocon, Fernando couldn't pass LeClerc, Gasly couldn't pass Leclerc, I don't know if Grosjean didn't get close enough to Gasly at the closing stages. I think we need to see how they go in France, especially in the race. It's hard to draw conclusions since Hartley was taken out on lap one and Gasly definitely wouldn't have been at optimum due to calibration issues, since he didn't do any sessions with that engine.
Grosjean was at DRS window last 10 laps if I remember correctly, and with fresher tires. He couldn't pass Gasly, so yes, at least they can defend the position on the straights,finally...

Marti_EF3

Looks that the race pace is at Mclaren level... FI and Renault are a little fast at the moment. Not bad to be a less developed car than the others...

Sayeman

HPD wrote:
11 Jun 2018, 13:33
Questioned by Motorsport.com if he could have finished so high while maintaining the previous power unit and avoiding a penalty, Gasly said: "No. We would have finished, looking at the race behind [Sergio] Pérez, I think, would have been the fourteenth. correct choice [change it], because with the other [it] it would not have been possible to return even from P16, in the end it was the right decision ".

"I surpassed Haas, I overtook Force India on the straight, which is the first time this year," he said. "For me [the new engine] looks good." Promising.

He added that the new Honda unit was an improvement in all aspects: "Everything, just more performance in general.

"In terms of battery also, in terms of energy management it is better, it is a good step, yes.

"They [Honda] told us 'it's okay, we're working on an update, it will be a decent update, something that will make a real difference.' And clearly in the data we can see that it's a big step forward."
https://lat.motorsport.com/f1/news/el-n ... y/3120148/
VTEC :lol:
https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-08-2014/rjDe_3.gif
Race direction was awful yesterday, Missed every overtake when there was very little happening.

Anyone has the clip of Gasly passing the force india and haas on the straight?
Never Give up.

techman
techman

good stuff. toro rosso missed an oportunity. when charles pittted. they should have brought gasly immendiately the next lap but they didnt. he could have been ahead.

dren

The updates look promising. The Honda wasn't a sitting duck on the straights.
Honda!

kptaylor
kptaylor

Not sure if this has been discussed but on Sky the commentators (can't remember which one) asked someone at STR about whether they were worried Hartley's updated motor would suffer the same issues as Gasly's did in FP. The reply was, "No, he had an extra update that Brendan didn't have." So were the two PUs in each car updated differently? Anyone know what differed?

rogazilla
rogazilla

From what I read, here is what I think I understood. The main update is ICE for Canada.

P's unit is 6 races old and Honda replaced closer to the entire PU. ICE, TC, MGUH...

H's unit is only 1 race old, Honda only replaced H's ICE but left most of the other parts the same.

The unit that may be the cause of Saturday's issue is MGU-H. Keep in mind we don't know if it is broken as P reported loss of power towards end of FP3, as precaution and time restrain, Honda replaced the entire PU before Quali. They are going to investigate the entire unit to find what's going on. Sunday they fitted entire new unit in the back of the car for race.

dren

Yes, Hartley only got the ICE upgrade where Gasly got an entirely new PU.
Honda!