2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Squid
Squid

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Zynerji wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 22:16
RonDennis wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 16:50
Talisman wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 14:17

I thought that Honda had specifically chosen NOT to transfer the cash they would have supplied to McLaren to STR.

It is also conceivable that Red Bull paid for the Renault supply from a central fund rather than through STR itself so its possible that Faenza won’t see a financial benefit from going from a customer Renault to a works Honda at all. Given there is little benefit for Red Bull beyond increased prize money from having STR perform well there would certainly be little incentive for them not to pocket the not insubstantial savings rather than use it to boost STR’s budget.
STR only get's free engines. Honda isn't going to pay 50 millions for a team like STR.
Why not? THey have the best atmosphere for outside-the-box development in all of F1.

I truly believe that if STR had the money of RBR or Merc/Ferrari, they would fight for honest wins. I love this team's operating mentality.
Because Honda is pumping that money into their own engine program instead. This is the correct thing to do. "Red Bull Honda" is the goal here. It makes no sense to give $50m to Toro Rosso when you could be using that money to further develop the engine you need to convince Red Bull to partner up.

As much as I love Toro Rosso, they're still a B team, and Red Bull has a specific function they want them to perform, which unfortunately does not include fighting for wins.

Think of it this way: If STR were to get a large injection of money from outside, and they have the talent in their staff to actually build a winning car, how far into lunch do you think Dietrich Mateschitz would get before arranging to transfer all that talent to the mothership?

etusch

Free Pu and being works team is enough for TR in their situation.

techman
techman

More like 930-935 HP.
hi wazari can you please confirm if size the compressor is much bigger in the 2018 engine compared to the 2017 and turbo in general or not?. apparently the mercedes were able to increase the size of the turbo every year.

Wouter

techman wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 12:27
More like 930-935 HP.
hi wazari can you please confirm if size the compressor is much bigger in the 2018 engine compared to the 2017 and turbo in general or not?. apparently the mercedes were able to increase the size of the turbo every year.
And Wazari do you know if Honda is starting this year with the spec 4.0? Or a complete other spec?
The Power of Dreams!

Talisman
Talisman

HPD wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 23:59
50 million in advertising is very possible
Its possible but highly unlikely.

A figure around the mark you're talking about would put STR at Renault levels, probably close to McLaren and not that far off RBR.

We'd be seeing a huge recruitment drive at STR and investment in infrastructure. Even then it would be too late to have a significant effect on 2018.

There is no evidence anything like that is happening. Nor is there anything in it for Honda. If they do a good job in 2018 they will get an off the shelf top team to supply called Red Bull, no need to waste money on the team that will get them into that position, STR.

Talisman
Talisman

Snorked wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 16:08
Maybe some other info besides the car launch date?

https://abload.de/img/tororossohondac9onf.jpg
Just saw this. Nothing particularly interesting beyond speculation regarding the risks facing both McLaren and STR.

Both teams were early with passing the crash tests so we can assume integration of both engines wasn't particularly troublesome.

With McLaren question marks remain over the quality of the Renault PU. The article claims the Renault PU to be revolutionary (no idea if this is certain, I thought the opposite) and therefore there are risks re: power and reliability. McLaren probably doesn't have a top 3 chassis and may end up in the upper midfield, however far more likely is that Renault will be a direct competitor in terms of performance and looking at STR's experience in the final few races of 2017 McLaren may not receive the best treatment as the third Renault supply and as a customer especially if they are close together in the points rankings.

STR's definite weak point are the drivers, looking at their likely threats a resurgent Sauber with a current Ferrari and better funding is concerning.

No new facts.

McHonda
McHonda

McLaren have the same agreement Red Bull do with Renault re supply so even if there was some truth to those rumors about STR's treatment it shouldn't be an issue as STR had a normal customer deal as far as I'm aware.

adrianjordan

McHonda wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 17:14
McLaren have the same agreement Red Bull do with Renault re supply so even if there was some truth to those rumors about STR's treatment it shouldn't be an issue as STR had a normal customer deal as far as I'm aware.
And if anything, Renault would be more likely to favour Mclaren as they're not out of contract in 2019.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wazari

techman wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 12:27
More like 930-935 HP.
Compressor housing itself is slightly larger than the 617 but the vane number and design is completely different.

I understand two variations of the 618 are being heavily tested. For the sake of consistency, Spec 4.1 and Spec 4.2, both with better torque characteristics than what Spec 4.0 would have been......
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

techman
techman

Compressor housing itself is slightly larger than the 617 but the vane number and design is completely different.

I understand two variations of the 618 are being heavily tested. For the sake of consistency, Spec 4.1 and Spec 4.2, both with better torque characteristics than what Spec 4.0 would have been......
good stuff.

carisi2k

With Red Bull being with Honda in 2019 if anybody is going to get the STR treatment from Renault you can bet it won't be Mclaren who have a deal until 2020 I believe. You can sure bet that Red Bull will get shafted some time in 2018. In fact I understand it has already started with Red Bull not receiving any engines yet while both Renault and Mclaren do have engines.

JonoNic

carisi2k wrote:With Red Bull being with Honda in 2019 if anybody is going to get the STR treatment from Renault you can bet it won't be Mclaren who have a deal until 2020 I believe. You can sure bet that Red Bull will get shafted some time in 2018. In fact I understand it has already started with Red Bull not receiving any engines yet while both Renault and Mclaren do have engines.
Proof or linked article please.

Always find the gap then use it.

HPD

NathanOlder

the black one! wow, best looking car since....... i cant remember.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dren

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 15:11
the black one! wow, best looking car since....... i cant remember.
I rather like the white one!
Honda!