2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I understand that the race ended very badly for the team.
Vandoorne hurt Gasly career, but losing the 8th position was the tire's fault.
The positive is that Honda (as a motor) looks very good, it is not "excellent" but it is very good, TR had much more pace than many rivals.

techman
techman

hoping for more parts. i hope they test both spec old and new package to see if there is a gain or not. because gasly said he felt no gain. could the new package cause more drag.? they really have to test it on gasly both aero specs

techman
techman

On a sidetrack, do we have any comparison of Gasly v a known driver? I am still unsure if he is very good and Hartley very bad or if he is average and Hartley is terrible.
thats the thing, if there was kyatt. there was a reference for gasly and kyatt is pretty decent experience driver. unfortunately , two rookies and hartley well below average. next year, gasly will get better with experience

godlameroso

I think Honda is sticking to it's aggressive development push they had last year. There really is no reason not to, particularly since the works deal with Red Bull is a done deal, it makes sense for Honda to push the development in order to hit the ground running next year where they can make a challenge for the title. There's no reason not to push the components to the brink out on track, it's literally the fastest way to develop engine parts.
Saishū kōnā

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

ispano6 wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 04:04
Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:42
Honestly, the contact with Vandoorne didn't look that bad to damage the floor. What a shame. Today points were possible, even with Hartley going on Ultras the last stint :(
On the contrary, that kind of impact cripples you the entire race. It was pretty obvious to me, seeing Gasly lose 3 positions after the touch. Vandoorne's line was way shallow, real amateur and a major judgement lapse.

gasly:
"After the contact with Stoffel on lap one, the rear was suspension was bent and he also took half of the floor away so from that point I was just sliding everywhere, fighting so much with the car, so we were quite lucky to go until the end."

"I almost went off 20 times in the race, just trying to keep it on the track. For sure it would have been nice to score points, but we tried everything but it was almost more driving a rallycross car than a Formula 1. It was pretty tough."

"I know Stoffel, he’s not careless, it was probably just misjudgement or something like this. I know he didn’t do it on purpose but it certainly affected the rest of my race."

Clearly, Mclaren and Vandoorne owe Gasly an apology.
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/ ... lap_1.html

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

overall team performance hasn't been so great i don't think they have had one clean race? just to much going wrong... bad strategy calls ,mechanical failures ,accidents ,bad driver performances.

i was hoping for 5th/6th in the constructor championship

dren

Yeah, at this rate Sauber will beat them come year end. They need to string some races together. The performance seems like it's there.
Honda!

Big Tea

techman wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 14:40
On a sidetrack, do we have any comparison of Gasly v a known driver? I am still unsure if he is very good and Hartley very bad or if he is average and Hartley is terrible.
thats the thing, if there was kyatt. there was a reference for gasly and kyatt is pretty decent experience driver. unfortunately , two rookies and hartley well below average. next year, gasly will get better with experience
But, and take this the way its intended please Gasley fans, we have no idea if Gasley is good or not to say he will get better. Every one gets better with more races, but where is he now? For instance Mclaren have FA and SV

Alonso's average finishing place is around 7th but Stoffel's about 2 or 3 behind him. Is he an Alonso, a Stoffel or a Stroll
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

techman
techman

i have funny feeling sauber can go pass TR. unfortunately. gasly need to have the best weekend every race if we are to score. his teammate cannot deliver if no cars ahead retire. what a shame. TR are handicapped. damn

Revs84
Revs84

techman wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 14:37
hoping for more parts. i hope they test both spec old and new package to see if there is a gain or not. because gasly said he felt no gain. could the new package cause more drag.? they really have to test it on gasly both aero specs
I read somewhere (I believe it was James Key saying it), that with the increase in performance from the spec 2 engine, TR can now look at other aero approaches which previously was not possible due to lack of power.

My understanding is that they will be able to sacrifice some top speed for better cornering, which could mean a bit more drag as well. This will probably offset any straight line losses in time and eventually result in better lap times.

techman
techman

My understanding is that they will be able to sacrifice some top speed for better cornering, which could mean a bit more drag as well. This will probably offset any straight line losses in time and eventually result in better lap times.
i just hope the drag they put will not be a mclaren type. very inefficient downforce. thats why i always prefer redbull car

Revs84
Revs84

techman wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 16:08
i just hope the drag they put will not be a mclaren type. very inefficient downforce. thats why i always prefer redbull car
Every car on the grid has a certain level of drag, be it Red Bull or Toro Rosso. This is mostly generated by wings and varies from one team to another.

Similarly, every car has also the more efficient type of downforce, which comes through the ground effect generated by the floor and diffuser. This is generally trickier to achieve and is something Red Bull excel at.

This is to say that generating drag through additional downforce does not necessarily mean that the overall aero package is wrong. It's all about finding the right balance.

j.yank
j.yank

IMHO the Toro Rosso problems started in Q2 when Gasly failed to improve his best time. I think that it was 3rd time this year when he can't improve. This leads to complicated situations at the beginning of the races (due to back starting positions) and consequently not exploring their true potential during the race in one or another way. The problem is not in Gasly but in not very good chassis configuration which has very narrow optimum window and it is very sensitive to changing conditions - track temperatures, wind. etc. I hope next season they will be much better.

HPD

What do you think of Esteban Ocon to replace Hartley?
(FI has financial problems, it is likely that they do not finish 2018)

maguetox
maguetox

HPD wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 21:49
What do you think of Esteban Ocon to replace Hartley?
(FI has financial problems, it is likely that they do not finish 2018)
It will be a great plus to the team, however he is linked to Mercedes so it will be very difficult to have it in TR.

Where do you get that is likely that they don not finish the 2018?