2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bauc wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:44
Manoah2u wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:40
bauc wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:20

The choice has been made. The most critical challenge will be the 3 PU units allowed next year, I think this will be the focus for all, and so far even tho the Reno has shown not to be bullet proof, it has considerably better readability compared to Honda. So I expect a tough season for all except Merc powered cars
could you perhaps take atleast the little effort to write 'Renault' correctly and not 'reno'......
Renault is pronounced as RENO allover the world. Its the Reno Clio, The Reno Megan ect...
Just a habbit
#-o
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
bauc wrote:
Redragon wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:03

Same newspaper is publishing the words from Horner that the reability of Renault on 2017 haven't been so bad since 2006
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b459b.html
Not too optimistic yet about the swap
The choice has been made. The most critical challenge will be the 3 PU units allowed next year, I think this will be the focus for all, and so far even tho the Reno has shown not to be bullet proof, it has considerably better readability compared to Honda. So I expect a tough season for all except Merc powered cars
could you perhaps take atleast the little effort to write 'Renault' correctly and not 'reno'......
I must admit that the first time I read that, I thought they were talking about renovations they were having problems with...

McHonda

Grosjean reckons McLaren and Renault will jump the midfield battle next year. Also thinks McLaren will be there with Red Bull.

"McLaren is going to be super strong next year and they have huge resources, probably the biggest factory in Formula 1.

"The Renault engine is a decent engine, they've had reliability issues but power-wise they're up there, Renault is a on a high, they've been developing pretty well and are in front of us already.

"The question is Williams and Force India; of course, McLaren I believe is going to be there with Red Bull, then it's going to be Renault.
https://m.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/362010/

Xero

Manoah2u wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 16:52
bauc wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Renault is pronounced as RENO allover the world. Its the Reno Clio, The Reno Megan ect...
Just a habbit
#-o
I'm sure the penny will drop some day! :lol:

GhostF1

McHonda wrote:
28 Dec 2017, 20:13
Grosjean reckons McLaren and Renault will jump the midfield battle next year. Also thinks McLaren will be there with Red Bull.

"McLaren is going to be super strong next year and they have huge resources, probably the biggest factory in Formula 1.

"The Renault engine is a decent engine, they've had reliability issues but power-wise they're up there, Renault is a on a high, they've been developing pretty well and are in front of us already.

"The question is Williams and Force India; of course, McLaren I believe is going to be there with Red Bull, then it's going to be Renault.
I think it's pretty much a given they'll leapfrog a chunk of the field just with the Renault next year, compared with 2017's results at least.

I'm genuinely fascinated to see what Renault bring to the table next year. The sources of their reliability issues in 2017 were very varied, there was no "sole issue" like Honda's MGU-H bearings, and varied issues does not, a reliable engine make (in my opinion of course). I'm hoping they've solved a majority of these so we can get back to racing, not this longevity rubbish.

godlameroso

They began focusing on the 2018 engine rather early. This was year one of a new design, it's always going to have weaknesses and teething issues. More worried about chassis integration. Even if they say it's going smoothly, I can't help but expect unexpected issues.
Saishū kōnā

dren

The new PU should give them a good jump up the field. I think it's a bit much to say they are going to be at Red Bull's level, though. They need to improve their pit crew, too.
Honda!

mclaren111

Autosport:
F1 Team Payments 2017:

Up from 87 the year before !!!

Manoah2u

would have been curious to see how much money would have been sent Mclaren's direction if these forms of payment excisted in the late 80's Senna & Mclaren dominance
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

McHonda

GhostF1 wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 04:18
McHonda wrote:

I think it's pretty much a given they'll leapfrog a chunk of the field just with the Renault next year, compared with 2017's results at least.

I'm genuinely fascinated to see what Renault bring to the table next year. The sources of their reliability issues in 2017 were very varied, there was no "sole issue" like Honda's MGU-H bearings, and varied issues does not, a reliable engine make (in my opinion of course). I'm hoping they've solved a majority of these so we can get back to racing, not this longevity rubbish.
I think it's a bit kind to say Honda only had a sole issue with the bearings for the H, there was plenty of other issues through the year for them as well to be fair.

Hopefully both units are reliable but it's a big ask. I'd be happy enough if Renault found reliability and Honda found performance and sorted the reliability for 2019.

Everyone's a winner then I think.

GhostF1

McHonda wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 19:27
GhostF1 wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 04:18
McHonda wrote:

I think it's a bit kind to say Honda only had a sole issue with the bearings for the H, there was plenty of other issues through the year for them as well to be fair.

Hopefully both units are reliable but it's a big ask. I'd be happy enough if Renault found reliability and Honda found performance and sorted the reliability for 2019.

Everyone's a winner then I think.
I only say because it was the main reason for pretty much every non completion that was PU related. Every other niggle was a knock on effect from the MGU-H housing detonating atop the block. Anyway apologies in off topic severely.

I'm hoping Renault make a huge courageous step next year. I think they are almost ready to do so!

PlatinumZealot

bauc wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
bauc wrote:

Just a habbit
I can type Maklaren then? and Torro Rosso?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Retboel
Verraarie
Muklerren

etc.

but offcourse just shrug it off, that's how you 'roll' in this world today with the social media generation.

anyway, on a whole other note.

So Mclaren 'broke up' with Mercedes before and started with Honda and claimed something -rather literally- like 'we will not become WCC with customer engines, so we want works engines'. That got repeated vividly.

so now we're here, and Mclaren is going to run Renault engines.

has there actually been any word from Mclaren on this total switch?

RedNEO

Manoah2u wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 03:07
Retboel
Verraarie
Muklerren

etc.

but offcourse just shrug it off, that's how you 'roll' in this world today with the social media generation.

So Mclaren 'broke up' with Mercedes before and started with Honda and claimed something -rather literally- like 'we will not become WCC with customer engines, so we want works engines'. That got repeated vividly.

It’s not a “customer deal” like Mercedes would have offered. The deal is for identical support to the works Renault team just like Redbull.

Squid

RedNEO wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 05:53
Manoah2u wrote:
31 Dec 2017, 03:07
Retboel
Verraarie
Muklerren

etc.

It’s not a “customer deal” like Mercedes would have offered. The deal is for identical support to the works Renault team just like Redbull.
With the disadvantage that they have no input on the engine, so they have to build around whatever Renault builds for itself.

I'd also fully expect Renault to come around on that as they get their program off the ground and into competitive status. Of course they give all their customers full support. As their team is still being rebuilt, they know they won't be at their best, so might as well get some praise from their customers being competitive with their engines. Once they're at that level, you can bet that Renault will only be looking out for numero uno.