2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Wins claims? In what parallel dimension anyone at McLaren said a word about wins?

But it´s McLaren who speculate too much.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

marvin78
marvin78

Alonso said that he would win this year. But it was unclear what series he meant ;)

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

Wins or a similar kind of success in the near future. Wins being the extreme one. And no one at Mclaren said that, it is some junk media articles and stuff.

For the Alonso quote:
"Alonso will uniquely split his time between F1 and the world endurance championship this year, declaring that between his duties, “I will win” in 2018.

Asked if he can win in F1, Alonso answered: “I don’t know. We’ll see.
"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Encouraging news from Renault, don't know whether they can match the talk

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... t-1027534/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

bauc

Ground Effect wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 10:42
Encouraging news from Renault, don't know whether they can match the talk

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/rena ... t-1027534/
Its been a long time in development, all updates since mid 2017 were readability wise, and we still see there are problems especially with the turbo unit so hopefully by mid 2018, Renault can give Mclaren & the rest that performance upgrade
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

loner

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 01:17
I see far more exaggeration of statements and quotes taken out of context on this forum than I do by McLaren. It seems some crap click bait journalist takes a vague statement, trumps it up, posts it on any random site, it gets posted here, gets trumped up even more and then doesn't come true....people proceed to whine and cry about McLaren over promising and under delivering.

Wash rinse repeat.
you need to read more then .. Mclaren are heavily deluded about how good their chassis
EB ON 22 MAY 2016
McLaren-Honda has a shot at outpacing Ferrari in Formula 1's Monaco Grand Prix due to a superior chassis, reckons its racing director Eric Boullier.
on 30 - 3 - 2018 EB said
So we are going to have another batch coming in Bahrain, which should have been in Australia.”
That new batch is set to include a new bargeboard update which is believed to be worth a few tenths.
so this update should've debuted in AUS but it was delayed and it was worthy of few tenths while we all saw how Mclaren fared in Bahrain
and EB said
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that the team’s definitive 2018 Formula 1 car will make its debut Barcelona in May, and the clear hope is that it will help to address the team’s lack of qualifying pace.

so the real slam shady oh sorry the real Mclaren car which will debute in Barcelona also should've been debuted in AUS
the car we’ll have in Barcelona should have been in Australia.

#-o
but when asked:
when McLaren would catch up from the impact of the testing problems, Boullier suggested it might be by May's Spanish Grand Prix, the fifth round of the season.
"I don't know but I would say the usual answer which is first European race," said Boullier. "It's the catch up point where you get back to where you should have been."
so master EB do you know or do you not know ??
and then he said
McLaren say they are struggling to understand why their car lacks pace this season - especially in qualifying.
do you have a clue or do you not have a clue ?
pushing for split a works deal + 100m$ to qualify 13 on the grid instead of affording a co operation and friendly work atmosphere for your PU manufacturer while never address your chassis flaws putting all the blame on the PU.

iam lazy to dig farther to give you alot more worthless quotes perhaps what i posted is enough for yo to know where is exaggeration comes from
para bellum.

Alonso Fan

loner wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 14:34
trinidefender wrote:
I see far more exaggeration of statements and quotes taken out of context on this forum than I do by McLaren. It seems some crap click bait journalist takes a vague statement, trumps it up, posts it on any random site, it gets posted here, gets trumped up even more and then doesn't come true....people proceed to whine and cry about McLaren over promising and under delivering.

Wash rinse repeat.
you need to read more then .. Mclaren are heavily deluded about how good their chassis
EB ON 22 MAY 2016
McLaren-Honda has a shot at outpacing Ferrari in Formula 1's Monaco Grand Prix due to a superior chassis, reckons its racing director Eric Boullier.
on 30 - 3 - 2018 EB said
So we are going to have another batch coming in Bahrain, which should have been in Australia.”
That new batch is set to include a new bargeboard update which is believed to be worth a few tenths.
so this update should've debuted in AUS but it was delayed and it was worthy of few tenths while we all saw how Mclaren fared in Bahrain
and EB said
McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says that the team’s definitive 2018 Formula 1 car will make its debut Barcelona in May, and the clear hope is that it will help to address the team’s lack of qualifying pace.

so the real slam shady oh sorry the real Mclaren car which will debute in Barcelona also should've been debuted in AUS

#-o
but when asked:
when McLaren would catch up from the impact of the testing problems, Boullier suggested it might be by May's Spanish Grand Prix, the fifth round of the season.
"I don't know but I would say the usual answer which is first European race," said Boullier. "It's the catch up point where you get back to where you should have been."
and then he said
McLaren say they are struggling to understand why their car lacks pace this season - especially in qualifying.
pushing for split a works deal + 100m$ to qualify 13 on the grid instead of affording a co operation and friendly work atmosphere for your PU manufacturer while never address your chassis flaws putting all the blame on the PU.

iam lazy to dig farther to give you alot more worthless quotes perhaps what i posted is enough for yo to know where is exaggeration comes from
Theeeerrrree we gooooo, get it out of your system. :) I know you've been itching to find an excuse to come in here ;)

And also, thanks for quoting journalists and claiming EB said it. It adds a lot of credibility to your post... (not to say that your point isn't somewhat valid)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

adrianjordan

Just to play devil's advocate....an update could add several tenths....unless the car also ran without them, we wouldn't know...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

McL-H
McL-H

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 22:09
McL-H wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 21:57
RonDennis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:12

Sorry, but where did you get those 'big expectations' from?

Meanwhile, under Boullier his lead, McLaren is doing nothing else than celebrating podiums before they are achieved. A B-car is very significant. They are now pretending this is going to solve everything. They publicise this to keep fans excited.. like they have done way too often in recent years. Time and time again, people here on the forum build high expectations because of these remarks, and end up disappointed because McLaren did not deliver. It’s not about Boullier having high expectations, it’s about the expectations they build towards the public. This media statement is building those expectations, just look at the comments and see..

B&B should stop spreading empty talk. Talking about a fast car, will not give you one.. you’ll have to build it, see its potential, and then let the results do the talking.
Would you prefer a media blackout?
I’d prefer realistic expectations, and media communications based on what you can proof.. not based on fairytales.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 16:56
Ground Effect wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 22:09
McL-H wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 21:57

Meanwhile, under Boullier his lead, McLaren is doing nothing else than celebrating podiums before they are achieved. A B-car is very significant. They are now pretending this is going to solve everything. They publicise this to keep fans excited.. like they have done way too often in recent years. Time and time again, people here on the forum build high expectations because of these remarks, and end up disappointed because McLaren did not deliver. It’s not about Boullier having high expectations, it’s about the expectations they build towards the public. This media statement is building those expectations, just look at the comments and see..

B&B should stop spreading empty talk. Talking about a fast car, will not give you one.. you’ll have to build it, see its potential, and then let the results do the talking.
Would you prefer a media blackout?
I’d prefer realistic expectations, and media communications based on what you can proof.. not based on fairytales.
Well, apparently, the reality is that they are expecting a heavily revised car for Barcelona. Which is what they are communicating to the media.... Notice same article didn't talk nbrs or pecking order or expectations. So you should be happy with that, no?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

http://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/mc ... p-20180418

2018-04-18
Asked if the 'B' car will finally put McLaren where it wants to be, Boullier answered: "I'd rather promise less and deliver more.

"I've been in Formula 1 long enough to say that we'll drink champagne when we reach the podium."

trinidefender
trinidefender

loner wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

Wash rinse repeat.
EB ON 22 MAY 2016
on 30 - 3 - 2018 EB said
and EB said

#-o
but when asked:
and then he said

You need to seriously relax and maybe reread what I wrote. I never mentioned Honda, I was never bashing Honda. In fact many of the same people who bashed McLaren because of their own artificially raised hopes bashed Honda for the same reason. Journalists taking words out of context. Honda isn't with McLaren anymore, can we leave them alone (I admit I was sad to see them leave).

Secondly most of things you quoted aren't things that weren't quotes from McLaren. They are quotes from journalists who are doing exactly what I said they were doing. Artistic license is a hell of a thing. Look at an actual quote that diffuser posted above this. Far more measured isn't it?

Alonso Fan

trinidefender wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 18:24
loner wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

Wash rinse repeat.
EB ON 22 MAY 2016
on 30 - 3 - 2018 EB said
and EB said

#-o
but when asked:
and then he said

You need to seriously relax and maybe reread what I wrote. I never mentioned Honda, I was never bashing Honda. In fact many of the same people who bashed McLaren because of their own artificially raised hopes bashed Honda for the same reason. Journalists taking words out of context. Honda isn't with McLaren anymore, can we leave them alone (I admit I was sad to see them leave).

Secondly most of things you quoted aren't things that weren't quotes from McLaren. They are quotes from journalists who are doing exactly what I said they were doing. Artistic license is a hell of a thing. Look at an actual quote that diffuser posted above this. Far more measured isn't it?
Leave it man. I had a spat with him on the Toro Rosso thread. He thinks that because we're fans of McLaren, we'll take every opportunity to bash Honda. He takes the slightest of negative remarks as Honda bashing when neither me nor you intended it. Leave him to his Toro Rosso thread. This is a technical forum. Let's keep it that way.

If he posts provocative things like that I'll take extra care to ignore it and not respond. It's a whirlpool. If he wants an intellectual discussion with facts and reason, and being realistic, then I'm more than happy to discuss
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Bisonas

Well sometimes i am thinking.
Now we see Mclaren with issues on Qualifying but very good race pace.
We see Alonso gaining 17!!! positions in total from where he starts and where he finishes. This is kinda unreal, if you compare it with last year and i am sure he enjoys it atm.
The whole thing bring some extra excitement if you ask me. I kind of actually enjoying it.
Now imagine the update brings around 0.5sec on Barcelona. That will move Mclaren in front of the Midfield.(and that is the most probable scenario actually).
So Alonso will Qualify 7th most of the times, and will finish 7th most of the times(Unless trouble hits the top 6)
Isn't this going to be boring as hell ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Alonso will have some really boring races cruising alone as best of the rest, if Barcelona update delivers what is expected of it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So before that happens, is good that he is fighting his way to 7th position now.I think he really enjoys it, and he is charging his batteries after 3 year of discharge. He is racing now, and that's good.

godlameroso

If he's only half a second off the pace and starts 9th or 10th he can have really nice battles to get to the head of the midfield. Or fight off any of the top 3 teams that end up behind him, let's not forget in 2012 Alonso's car was .7 off the pace of both McLaren and Red Bull but was able to take the championship to the last race. Had he not DNF'ed in Spa(thanks Grosjean) or Suzuka(thanks Kimi) he would have won. So if the McLaren is only .5 off the pace he'll certainly be in the mix, at least be able to finish ahead of the number 2 drivers of those teams consistently.

I'm a die hard Honda fan and I make a living working on Hondas, but I know talent when I see it, and if Alonso has a car that's within .3 off the top he will win the championship 10/10 times.
Saishū kōnā