2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

McG wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 16:53
BrunoH wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 13:06
yeah they might have discovered that having a low donwforce setup at a low downforce track does make an improvment hehehehehehehhe
This.

Alonso said they "found something", probably referring to the setup for that race or even in himself, then Kravitz kind of blew it up, intentionally or not I don't know. Waffle definitely didn't find anything.
He found out he's being replaced.
Honda!

McG

M840TR wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:37
RonDennis wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:34

Yeah exactly, seeing Alonso's luck in the last couple of years I wouldn't even be surprised if the cars turns out pretty good. :lol:
I think Mclaren do tend to have alternate good/bad years (or latterly bad/worse years) so keeping in mind they said this week they 'found something' fingers crossed
Source?
The source is to watch the race and reaction. Failing that, catch up on the last pages you haven't read before jumping in and asking someone for a source.
F1 is dead.

McG

dren wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 16:56
McG wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 16:53
BrunoH wrote:
yeah they might have discovered that having a low donwforce setup at a low downforce track does make an improvment hehehehehehehhe
This.

Alonso said they "found something", probably referring to the setup for that race or even in himself, then Kravitz kind of blew it up, intentionally or not I don't know. Waffle definitely didn't find anything.
He found out he's being replaced.
Is that your excuse for him?
F1 is dead.

M840TR
M840TR

McG wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 17:00
M840TR wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 09:49
Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 23:37

I think Mclaren do tend to have alternate good/bad years (or latterly bad/worse years) so keeping in mind they said this week they 'found something' fingers crossed
Source?
The source is to watch the race and reaction. Failing that, catch up on the last pages you haven't read before jumping in and asking someone for a source.
My assumption was it was related to the 2019 car given the context. Since @Big Tea clarified I realized it was the setup change at Monza which I knew about already given it was me who started the discussion about it. No need to be rude.

M840TR
M840TR

BrunoH wrote:
More likely maintaining the old front wing petal arrangement for y250 instead of going the Redbull way like they tried on Friday.

KingHamilton01

PhillipM wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:40
RonDennis wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 22:23
I don't even believe these people are actually designing parts. They are there to lead.
Yes, and to give an overall direction, but that's already decided, all the big stuff and decisions are laid down already.
They're going to be making a difference for 2020 onwards in terms of the performance, next year will just be them restructuring. A few people on here saying 2019 will be crap with this guy or great with this guy are way out on timescales.
This is why Mclaren aren't going to play ball with RB/TR over James Key. They don't care if they have to wait until next year.
Great post and I completely agree 2019 is going to be a year of finding out where McLaren's weaknesses are and doing there best to restructure area's in the team that need change. Pat Fry no doubt will be a good asset to McLaren in that respect and no doubt will be able to use what he has seen at Ferrari to help point the team in the right direction. Key is the bigger piece in the jigsaw and for that reason were right to think that a bigger upturn in performance won't come until the 2020 season.

For now at least as mentioned before they can work on improving integration with Renault as they can make massive gains there, this will go hand in hand with better reliability and I am sure McLaren will get more of a say in what Renault are doing with next year's engine. Overall thing's I feel are going in the right direction at McLaren but it is a work in progress and people still need to be patient with the team.
McLaren Mercedes

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 14:54
kfrantzios wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 13:52
Why Norris? Too inexperienced, can't beat Russel in F2, nowhere near as dominant in F2 as Stoffel. I guess they just don't want to loose him. Anyway lets hope he proves to be Ham 2
There are still a few rounds to go, and he's 2nd in the standings.
I think the main point is Stoff only had Sirotkin and Rossi to crush.

Plus Vandoorne finished 2nd in his 1st season of GP2. So people need to know stats before spouting out BS.

Lando is very very fast. If he lacks anything, its a little aggression.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

kfrantzios wrote:
Why Norris? Too inexperienced, can't beat Russel in F2, nowhere near as dominant in F2 as Stoffel. I guess they just don't want to loose him. Anyway lets hope he proves to be Ham 2
So how strong was Vandoorne in his rookie season in gp2?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mwillems

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 21:41
kfrantzios wrote:
So how strong was Vandoorne in his rookie season in gp2?
And how old? Vandoorne was 4 years older when he finished second in GP2, five when he won it. I don't know why there is the fixation of having to win a series at the first attempt. The guy is 18, Russell is 20 years old. Even Leclerc was 19 when he won his F2 title. At his age his talent is unquestionable, he has achieved a lot, and certainly enough to Merit a place in F1.

I don't doubt his talent compared to past and current young drivers. I just doubt the timing. But that isn't Mclarens fault, I'm sure they'd keep him in F2 if they could, but the timing of the contract is such that they will lose him if they don't give him a drive, and he is too good a talent to lose. So you take a chance.

Anyways, it isn't how many series you won before you entered F1, it is how you handle the transition and how adaptable you are. Lando seems to be extremely good in this regard.

Edit: Oh, and he could be a good driver for peanuts salary. I'm fairly certain that would have been factored in....
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Vandoorne is older because he didn't have funding to get into car racing until he was 17. After that he moved through series displaying impressive adaptability, winning F4 on first attempt, F3 on 2nd attempt, 2nd in FR 3.5 on 1st attempt, 2nd in GP2 on 1st attempt and winning GP2 on 2nd attempt.

Lando's progression is a little less clear because he's done several part seasons in formula before moving on to a full season the next year, but he won MSA F4 on first attempt, Formula Renault 2.0 on first attempt, Formula 3 on 1st full season (after half season year before) and is currently 2nd in F2 on first attempt.

I would say the pair are roughly equal in terms of adaptability and progression moving through the lower formula, Vandoorne is of course older but not actually more experienced because he started later.

zoroastar
zoroastar

PhillipM wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
I don't even believe these people are actually designing parts. They are there to lead.
Yes, and to give an overall direction, but that's already decided, all the big stuff and decisions are laid down already.
They're going to be making a difference for 2020 onwards in terms of the performance, next year will just be them restructuring. A few people on here saying 2019 will be crap with this guy or great with this guy are way out on timescales.
This is why Mclaren aren't going to play ball with RB/TR over James Key. They don't care if they have to wait until next year.
yea i agree. marko is probably trying to screw mclaren by extorting money, but if mclaren just wait it out it will be marko/ RB paying a technical director that is on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. i hope mclaren are smart enough to wait it out.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

zoroastar wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 07:44
PhillipM wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
yea i agree. marko is probably trying to screw mclaren by extorting money, but if mclaren just wait it out it will be marko/ RB paying a technical director that is on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. i hope mclaren are smart enough to wait it out.
From all indications, that's what they're going to do, wait it out. Red Bull can't keep him for more than 6 months, I believe. Besides, he's rumoured to have an opt-out clause for 2019. Mclaren just want a more competitive season next year, with a logical development plan, there's no aspirations for podiums let alone wins. Unfortunately, they won't have the excellent benchmark that is Red Bull. Renault can give an idea, but they don't expect to be ahead of Red Bull.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Andres125sx

Moderators, all this silly season talk really belongs to the team thread?

This thread is becoming tiring for those of us who are not interested on next season rumours and speculations

mclaren111

I also think Pat Fry is a good signing.

Pretty sure Key would have been consulted and gave his stamp of approval.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 08:45
zoroastar wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 07:44
PhillipM wrote:

From all indications, that's what they're going to do, wait it out. Red Bull can't keep him for more than 6 months, I believe. Besides, he's rumoured to have an opt-out clause for 2019. Mclaren just want a more competitive season next year, with a logical development plan, there's no aspirations for podiums let alone wins. Unfortunately, they won't have the excellent benchmark that is Red Bull. Renault can give an idea, but they don't expect to be ahead of Red Bull.
Matching Renault would be an big improvement.