2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Sierra117 wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 17:33
Question for the pros: How is the hydraulics failure from the steering wheel affecting the rest of the power unit? I understand the power unit is your ... power unit ... but wouldn't one try to cater to possibilities? Not sure if this is a good example, but the way you have valves in the heart and veins to stop blood from rushing back. A contingency to avoid failures from going back to the engine. The way you have fuse boxes to cut out a portion that's failed so the rest of the system's integrity is intact.
That extra back-up/saftey features would come with a non trivial weight penalty.
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

TheFluffy wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 17:04
Additional radio I found on the internet. This was said after the race on the radio by Lewis.

"I don't know how many are listening in Brixworth and Brackley, but I cannot remember when I last had a DNF. This team has had the best reliability over the last years, this team has had by far the best car and is by far the best team I have driven for. We need to recover from this but I am in no doubt that we'll come back strong."
and people say Lewis threw a temper tantrum :?
It was fu&k up by the team, but he just questioned and carried on.....and this message is proof that they are all working together and have great harmony

giantfan10
giantfan10

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:30
De Jokke wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:16
Can Merc use new engines and gearboxes as they both dnf'ed?
Only gearboxes. Ofc the could use a new engine within the 3 engine limit but that wouldn't make sense. I don't think one of the PUs is damaged btw.
From racefans.net :
Mercedes concerned about Silverstone penalties after failures
James Allison said the team hopes to avoid any penalties at the British Grand Prix. “We think both of the failures that we had were confined to the items that failed and they’re both things that can be replaced without having to break into the sealed areas of the w car that attract sporting penalties,” he said.
HOWEVER
“Every time the car stops in an uncontrolled way, where a failure happens and the system is then shut down in a manner that is unusual and where the car can suffer all manner of unknown gremlins, you can’t be completely sure until we’ve done all the necessary checks to be certain that the bits of the car that are sealed and do attract sporting penalties weren’t in any way affected by these uncontrolled shutdowns."

Shrieker

Was the reason for Hamilton's retirement announced ? Valtteri's was self explanatory.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Phil

Loss of fuel pressure. Hydraulic pressure for Valtteri. Both non-PU related.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FrukostScones

Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:12
and with what means is such pressure generated?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sierra117

FrukostScones wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:17
Phil wrote:
Pumps. Something failed in the hydraulic pumps/motors. So far no reports about any sort of failure in the engine itself. It's all sealed anyway so the only way to know 100% is after running the engines in FPs.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

siskue2005 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:52
TheFluffy wrote:
Additional radio I found on the internet. This was said after the race on the radio by Lewis.

"I don't know how many are listening in Brixworth and Brackley, but I cannot remember when I last had a DNF. This team has had the best reliability over the last years, this team has had by far the best car and is by far the best team I have driven for. We need to recover from this but I am in no doubt that we'll come back strong."
It was fu&k up by the team, but he just questioned and carried on.....and this message is proof that they are all working together and have great harmony
yes working together and have great harmony, that is until something goes wrong again. if something goes wrong again chances are that somebody will be thrown under the bus by their driver, it will not be the first time and neither the last.

Sierra117

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:42
siskue2005 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:52
TheFluffy wrote:

yes working together and have great harmony, that is until something goes wrong again. if something goes wrong again chances are that somebody will be thrown under the bus by their driver, it will not be the first time and neither the last.
Highly unlikely. The cost of firing someone, then searching for someone new and then hiring them is ridiculously high, especially for a sport that is so time and money-intensive. It also creates an environment of fear. It's far more efficient and beneficial to let the people who know what they're doing figure out what went wrong with all that experience amassed over the years of development. The irony of Formula One is that everything happens extremely fast, but in order to win you need to be patient and take your time.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

FrukostScones

Sierra117 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:34
FrukostScones wrote:
Phil wrote:
Pumps. Something failed in the hydraulic pumps/motors. So far no reports about any sort of failure in the engine itself. It's all sealed anyway so the only way to know 100% is after running the engines in FPs.
I think there is a problem with the new spec installation, too many failures and near failures with the new spec Merc PU now.
Maybe lines/pipes are differently routed now or vibrations now causing problems... all specualtion, but it seems to me that this PU spec introduction could cost them dearly.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Sierra117 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 09:34
FrukostScones wrote:
Phil wrote:
Several of the control systems on the car require a hydraulics power supply to meet the performance specification in terms of force levels and frequency. Having installed a hydraulics system, it makes sense to use it for control systems that might not demand hydraulics. The hydraulic system is lighter than electrical system. There might be up to 12 systems connected to the hydraulic supply. The most popular pump in use in F1 is the ABEX variable displacement swash-plat pump (200 bar), driven by the right hand side auxiliary drive on the engine. The hydraulic system incorporates an accumulator. Power consumption in a straight line at full power can be as low as 3-4 hp.

DVB

New spec engine is burning more hydraulic oil then thought and therefore failing the hydraulic system :evil:
/s

I'll guess we will never know what happened. But it's strange for sure with a new spec engine the reliability just got a knack.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

DVB wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:14
New spec engine is burning more hydraulic oil then thought and therefore failing the hydraulic system :evil:
/s

I'll guess we will never know what happened. But it's strange for sure with a new spec engine the reliability just got a knack.
"New spec engine is burning more hydraulic oil then tought and therefore failing the hydraulic system" hydraulic oil and system is a separate system from engine oil/lubrication system. so how come hydraulic oil is being burned?.

F1NAC

saviour stivala wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 12:34
DVB wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:14
/s

"New spec engine is burning more hydraulic oil then tought and therefore failing the hydraulic system" hydraulic oil and system is a separate system from engine oil/lubrication system. so how come hydraulic oil is being burned?.
you do realize that /s means sarcasm?

FrukostScones

MtthsMlw wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:30
De Jokke wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:16
Can Merc use new engines and gearboxes as they both dnf'ed?
Only gearboxes. Ofc the could use a new engine within the 3 engine limit but that wouldn't make sense. I don't think one of the PUs is damaged btw.
maybe Bottas PU is damaged....

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... s-problem/