2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Tag Heuer (Renault)

Sieper wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 13:40
Phil I agree with most things you said but I don't think the perceived anti sainz tantrum is coming from the Verstappen camp. It originated from La Marca and they are in the Sainz camp and have done exactly such a thing before (getting the rumor out there Ver pre-signed at Fer and thus hoping to get RBR upset with Max en Carlos back in). The Sainz camp was called in by Helmut Marko and they discussed this behind closed doors.

I do believe RBR management do not want this kind of intra team shenanigans and therefor will not bring back Sainz. Also I do not believe Sainz to have been constant enough (not beating Hul all the time, rather Hul seems slightly ahead to me) and also having a few rather strange and preventable crashes (Jap last year, Canada this year) to even warrant Sainz getting a just shy of top team seat. I expect Gasly will get it.
From a driver presser it was stated that they haven't always had equal equipment, Hulk usually gets upgrades first. Sainz mentioned it, sometime between Silverstone and Hungary (which includes Germany).
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Laserguru

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 14:51
Sieper wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 13:40
Phil I agree with most things you said but I don't think the perceived anti sainz tantrum is coming from the Verstappen camp. It originated from La Marca and they are in the Sainz camp and have done exactly such a thing before (getting the rumor out there Ver pre-signed at Fer and thus hoping to get RBR upset with Max en Carlos back in). The Sainz camp was called in by Helmut Marko and they discussed this behind closed doors.

I do believe RBR management do not want this kind of intra team shenanigans and therefor will not bring back Sainz. Also I do not believe Sainz to have been constant enough (not beating Hul all the time, rather Hul seems slightly ahead to me) and also having a few rather strange and preventable crashes (Jap last year, Canada this year) to even warrant Sainz getting a just shy of top team seat. I expect Gasly will get it.
From a driver presser it was stated that they haven't always had equal equipment, Hulk usually gets upgrades first. Sainz mentioned it, sometime between Silverstone and Hungary (which includes Germany).
I like to think I read everything, any chance you can remember the source? Not that it is unlikely, but usually such stories get a lot of attention and I cannot remember I ever heard of it. For McLaren I have read it many times, for Renault I am surprised, I had the impression they treated their drivers equally. If it is true I would feel sorry for Hulkenberg next year.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Phil

I think it happened once or twice, not because of favoritism, but because they are testing/developing and Hulkenberg has more points. Nothing to read into. On days it counts, they have been pretty even which i think is a compliment to Nico.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

Has Daniil Kvyat been completely ruled out of the Red Bull fold now?

I feel he was unfairly treated with RBR and was much better than we were lead to believe. I think I saw him in Ferrari garb a couple of races back, but he would fit the seat opposite Max very well. Both death or glory merchants, but Kvyat has had time to consider things now and would probably have an older head on his shoulders.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

super cool
super cool

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 23:26
As mentioned above, if I were Horner id drop a driver who just told me he was leaving. They are a safe 3rd in the WCC and cant move up or down. So why not try new drivers now.
While that would be great for the French fella to gain some experience as the top dog it would not be so wise to let Daniel no where near Honda PU from this point on.

NathanOlder

I wouldn't even put in in a car. Depending on his contract, I'd drop him from F1.

Dont get me wrong, im a massive Danny fan, i was just thinking about what I'd do if i were Horner having just been kicked in the nuts
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PhillipM
PhillipM

Great short term thinking, lose your points and finishes this year, never get a driver willing to sign with you on short term contracts again, huge PR backlash, etc, for what?
Not to mentioned the money and demands from DR for breach of contract.

To get one over one of the best drivers that you've been hanging out to dry for the past two years?

Just rewards tbfh.

AngusF1
AngusF1

Yes, this is silly. Nobody has been kicked anywhere sensitive. Ricciardo has reached the end of his contract and chosen to sign with another team, with more than sufficient notice. There's nothing for RB to be upset about.

djos

If anything it's RedBull's own fault for blaming Daniel for the Baku crash and confirming they would always prefer Max over him.

Clearly he decided not to be Webber 2.0.
"In downforce we trust"

zeph
zeph

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 23:26
As mentioned above, if I were Horner id drop a driver who just told me he was leaving.
Maybe I don’t understand this sort of thinking, but I find this juvenile to the nth degree. The contract was up for renewal and he decided to go a different route. What’s wrong with that? He has given RBR his best and will undoubtedly continue to do so for the remainder of the season.

Why punish him? Because he doesn’t want to play second fiddle? What good does that do?

That’s really not a mature and reasonable attitude to have.

Zynerji

If Gas gets the drive for next year, it wouldn't be punishment to swap him and Ric immediately, it would be smart.

flmkane
flmkane

Zynerji wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:31
If Gas gets the drive for next year, it wouldn't be punishment to swap him and Ric immediately, it would be smart.
It would be an asinine and arrogant breach of contract is what it would be.

By that logic, Red Bull should have put Vettel in a Torro Rosso back in 2014

Zynerji

flmkane wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:34
Zynerji wrote:

What breach of contract? All Redbull drivers serve at Marko's whim.

And, if they are secure in third, giving their future driver experience in the team with the hopes of a title push next year is smart.

Who cares about Vettel in this context.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It would be dumb beyond belief, Formula 1 is first and formost a marketing excercise, it'd be the PR equivelent of shooting yourself in the foot. Twice.

flmkane
flmkane

Zynerji wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:37
flmkane wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 03:34
Zynerji wrote:

What breach of contract? All Redbull drivers serve at Marko's whim.

And, if they are secure in third, giving their future driver experience in the team with the hopes of a title push next year is smart.

Who cares about Vettel in this context.
Red Bull would get their pants sued off in court. Like Sauber and VDG.

As far as the law is concerned, the F1 team is just a marketing tool for an energy drinks company. Courts won't grovel down to Helmut Marko