General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cs98

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 23:38
Tbh, wazari said there would be a lighter chassis and a big ERS upgrade after the summer break. That information wasn’t backed up with sources.

Let’s face it, it’s not like RB are going to come over to a forum full of enthusiasts and say this is their plans, this is what we going to run at xyz GP or this is when next upgrade is due by. If you go by that pretentious then you would never see any creditable information, unless it’s from a journalist in the paddock who even gets stuff majorly wrong (red bull/Ferrari flexi plank cheating having a huge effect for a example)

Why would wouter or wazari say their source of information? Wazari has said he’s moved away from the F1 side of the team - however he still has access to information…. Which is always concise and reliable.

Guess we’ll see come the weekend whether the ERS upgrade was introduced in Spa. If max doesn’t take a new penalty, then same to assume he ran the new spec
Wazari has a several year long track record and a known connection with the team. He also didn’t specify which race this upgrade would come at.

No need to reveal names or titles. But you can establish credibility by describing the nature of the source and nature of the upgrade, beyond what is publicly known. Just saying “I know, I have a source which I won’t reveal, if you doubt me you are disrespectful” is not useful. Especially when there is conflicting reporting from a credible reporter and telemetry data suggesting no difference.

AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 23:38
Tbh, wazari said there would be a lighter chassis and a big ERS upgrade after the summer break. That information wasn’t backed up with sources.
Slow down. "After the summer break" means "After the summer break". Any round after the summer break is "after the summer break".

Without wanting to stray too off topic, I'll leave it there.

anthonyfa18

It look like honda is using max to sell the new civic type r

And it look more like honda can be stay with Red Bull
https://racingnews365.com/f1-podcast-c ... d-2025/amp

Bill

type r is a great car with cult status it does not need Max to sell it,NSX would would have used his celebrity status to jack up sales.

Gillian

Wouter wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 20:10
Juzh wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 19:23
TNTHead wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 19:19

Interesting indeed, although I understand when people are taking it as unconfirmed rumour or speculation.

If the upgraded ERS is installed it would be a perfect explanation for the strange riddle why Perez were so off the pace of Verstappens.
Even if Verstappen really did run new ERS (unconfirmed so far, apart from what we've read here) there's just no way it could be worth that much laptime. No chance. Honda had a major upgrade even late last year on their ERS systems, additional 8 tenths or so gain in such short timeframe is completely unrealistic.
You underestimate the power of Honda @Juzh. :wink: :D They worked very hard last season and this season, because nothing can be changed after September 1. With this final result they have to run it for years to come.

Max drove not only with a new PU, but also with a heavily revised rear suspension, which allowed him to handle the car better than Perez. The car did exactly what he asked it to do.
Perez likes understeer more and Max likes oversteer more. Later Perez also drove the hard tire and Max the medium tyre.
Also Max likes to drive the old school layout of this circuit. Perez likes more to drive on street circuits.

PS> Max's car, which in terms of steering is easier through the bends, is simply faster. He can handle the loose back very well.
Perez can't handle that very well.
A lot of understeer often means braking sooner and therefore slower, but Perez likes that.
Wouter I really value your posts but I respectfully disagree with your analysis on Verstappen's driving style vs Perez'. Look back at Monaco for example and you'll see it's Verstappen that brakes early and struggles with understeer, where Perez is able to brake well into the corner.

I also believe you when you say there's been an ERS upgrade in Spa, but have to agree that alone is not an explanation for the huge gap. Even combined with other upgrades such a gap is huge.

Espresso

Gillian wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 22:01
Wouter I really value your posts but I respectfully disagree with your analysis on Verstappen's driving style vs Perez'. Look back at Monaco for example and you'll see it's Verstappen that brakes early and struggles with understeer, where Perez is able to brake well into the corner.

I also believe you when you say there's been an ERS upgrade in Spa, but have to agree that alone is not an explanation for the huge gap. Even combined with other upgrades such a gap is huge.
That´s due to taking different lines and thus different braking points.
The strength of Max (and Charles) is that they adapt their driving style to get the maximum out of the car.

Having the RB easier to rotate means the possibility to increase the speed in the windy sections. That was until now the weak spot. In Italy Max sacrificed top speed for consistent higher average speeds.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

anthonyfa18

Red Bull Racing is reportedly considering a renewed partnership with Honda after the deal with Porsche fell through, reports The Race. The Japanese engine supplier reportedly intends to take on the hybrid part, while Red Bull Powertrains can focus on the internal combustion engine

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/136947/h ... -2026.html

saviour stivala

Wasn’t Red Bull reported to have already an inhouse made intended for 2026 power unit running on the dyno?.

chrisc90

saviour stivala wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 05:41
Wasn’t Red Bull reported to have already an inhouse made intended for 2026 power unit running on the dyno?.
Certainly strong rumours and reports. Nothing stopping Honda from supplying the ERS side of it though.

JordanMugen

anthonyfa18 wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 04:29
Red Bull Racing is reportedly considering a renewed partnership with Honda after the deal with Porsche fell through, reports The Race. The Japanese engine supplier reportedly intends to take on the hybrid part, while Red Bull Powertrains can focus on the internal combustion engine

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/136947/h ... -2026.html
The Japanese engine supplier reportedly intends to take on the hybrid part, while Red Bull Powertrains can focus on the internal combustion engine. ...

In fact, Red Bull and Honda are said to have already held several talks with each other, with a preliminary agreement possibly already reached.
Good to hear, if true! :)

saviour stivala wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 05:41
They are running an engine not the whole power unit. :wink:

There's a long way to go to incorporate the MGU-K, battery storage and electronic controls of harvesting and deployment strategies into a complete power unit, which Honda have experience of. Though of course RBPT could develop their own ERS hardware and techniques if they wanted.

JordanMugen

A little small but better than nothing, hopefully a larger branding involvement next year. :)

Scuderia AlphaTauri wrote: The Honda logo will be displayed on Scuderia AlphaTauri’s AT03 and Oracle Red Bull Racing’s RB18 from the Formula One Honda Japanese Grand Prix 2022 onwards.
https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/hond ... -red-bull/

Source: AlphaTauri

Source: Red Bull Racing

Koji Watanabe, head of HRC wrote: The HRC logo on the nose and Honda logo on the side of the race machines of both teams represent the strong ties between Honda and Red Bull Group.
I'm not sure what this is about with HRC logo on the nose rather than a Honda logo. That might look a little strange!

Edit - It does look a little strange:

I would have done it the other way around, HRC on the engine cover as before and Honda "H" logo on the nose, but oh well.

Wouter

Max, I'm so happy for you for deciding the champion in Suzuka!

I am proud that Honda's power unit technology contributed to his consecutive championship.

I look forward to seeing you again in November at Honda Racing THANKS DAY at Motegi 🙌

Congratulations, Max."

We are pleased to publish this article in today's Nikkei Newspaper.

Congrats and thanks again to Verstappen for winning the championship at the F1™ Japanese GP 🙌!

#F1HondaJPGP #F1jp #MoSpo with Honda
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

So Honda has won two championships, and soon to be three, in the hybrid era. Who would have expected that?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

JordanMugen

Any confirmation that the power units will be badged as Honda and not RBPT for the 2023 season? :?:

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Oct 2022, 18:24
So Honda has won two championships, and soon to be three, in the hybrid era. Who would have expected that?
They have the Power of Dreams (TM) of course. =D>

ispano6

Not surprised to see Honda doing well, and not just in Formula 1. Acura has also won the driver and team championship in DPI and the Acura NSX-GT also won in the GTD class.