Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:30
LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:21
Why do both Ferrari’s use the old version engine cover in FP2, but not the new ones from Silverstone? They used them in FP1.
Maybe because of hotter air temperature now?
No ideas, anyone? :)
I don't think it's hotter here than it was in Silverstone.

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:38
LM10 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:21
Why do both Ferrari’s use the old version engine cover in FP2, but not the new ones from Silverstone? They used them in FP1.
Maybe because of hotter air temperature now?
I think, in Silverstone the temperature was never above 28 degrees.

Whatever, then I have no explanation why they changed their package, if it worked well in Silverstone as a whole (which it obviously did).

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

F1NAC wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 10:48
blowing wing?

Or could be hidden shotgun

waiting for headlines "Ferrari under investigation with questionable wastegate usage"
recently somebody said "when FERRARI is winning they must be cheating, when Mercedes is winning they have produced a superior design".

Manfer
Manfer

LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:56
MtthsMlw wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Whatever, then I have no explanation why they changed their package, if it worked well in Silverstone as a whole (which it obviously did).
Could the lower average speeds be responsible for this? You will need to open up the outlets to extract the heat quicker because of the lower speeds. Since Silverstone had higher average speeds the mass flow through the radiators would have been higher, which could have been compensated by tightening the outlets.
I would be surprised if they use the tighter engine cover at Hungary if the temperatures remain the same.

LM10
LM10

Manfer wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 20:24
LM10 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:56
MtthsMlw wrote:

Could the lower average speeds be responsible for this? You will need to open up the outlets to extract the heat quicker because of the lower speeds. Since Silverstone had higher average speeds the mass flow through the radiators would have been higher, which could have been compensated by tightening the outlets.
I would be surprised if they use the tighter engine cover at Hungary if the temperatures remain the same.
That makes sense. This would also mean that Ferrari needs to sacrifice a bit of lap time for cooling, wouldn’t it?

The interesting part is that they used the tighter cover in FP1 and then changed to the other ones in FP2.

BassVirolla

roon wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:11
Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 18:48
roon wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 18:08
Indeed. Something's going on with that RW. It rises in the center when viewed from the front, but appears to bulge down when viewed from the rear. Atypical airfoil shape maybe. LP side curvature shifted rearward. May suggest a flattened central underside.
It's an extremely high camber airfoil in the middle, so from different angles it appears differently compared to outer airfoils. Seems a bit thicker as well, but that might be an optical illusion.
The shape itself seems unusual. Hope I'm not falling into the reflection trap. :lol:

https://d2d0b2rxqzh1q5.cloudfront.net/s ... 4bdd5b.jpg
Hello everybody. I'm new here, but a long time reader.

I think this unusual shape is for introducing some clean airstream under the RW helping the blowing made by the exhaust to energize the boundary layer under the wing. Could it be?

bill shoe
bill shoe

Manfer wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 14:40
Clever, nice!!! During qualy the turbo is really an electric supercharger, so all the exhaust gas will flow out the wastegate pipes (wastegates full-open due to compressor being powered by ES-->H). Of the two wastegate pipes, the lower one is a clever "comply-with-rules-but-don't-really-allow-gas-flow" pipe, so ~ 100% of exhaust gas flow will be out the upper wastegate pipe. The small diameter means we'll have some exhaust velocity for a change. And higher/closer to the rear wing to boot! So high-velocity exhaust flow close the the working surface of the wing.

This is a big enough advantage that the other big teams will have to copy, but it will take several races for them to do it from scratch. Remember ~ 2-3 years ago when we always moaned that Ferrari wasn't creative or aggressive enough?

roon
roon

I wonder if the lower pipe entrains flow into the upper pipe.

Edit: this may violate:
5.8.2 Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe exit and either one or two wastegate tailpipe exits which must all be rearward facing and through which all exhaust gases must pass. All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe and all and only the wastegate exhaust gases must pass through the wastegate tailpipe(s). None of the tailpipes may be contained within any of the other tailpipes.
So it may just be about raising the height of the topmost pipe, or altering exhaust pulse timing out of the wastegate pipes. The lower pipe being maybe 80mm longer (length of elbow).
Last edited by roon on 21 Jul 2018, 10:21, edited 2 times in total.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

roon wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
roon wrote:
Indeed. Something's going on with that RW. It rises in the center when viewed from the front, but appears to bulge down when viewed from the rear. Atypical airfoil shape maybe. LP side curvature shifted rearward. May suggest a flattened central underside.
It's an extremely high camber airfoil in the middle, so from different angles it appears differently compared to outer airfoils. Seems a bit thicker as well, but that might be an optical illusion.
The shape itself seems unusual. Hope I'm not falling into the reflection trap. :lol:

Indeed that seems to be something like this (sorry for my bad painting skills)
Last edited by Yurasyk on 21 Jul 2018, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.G

Yurasyk wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 09:59
roon wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Indeed that seems to be something like this (sorry for my bad painting skills)
https://s5.ezgif.com/save/ezgif-5-56a1d69c8c.png
Double DRS :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

zioture
zioture

PlatinumZealot

roon wrote:
Two tips but one pipe. A way to legally maximize the height of the topmost pipe, perhaps.
The bottom pipe doesnt seem necessary for flow capacit barely any flow would go though it at that 90 degree branch. Likely there for legal reasons. Maybe two pipes are required by the regs and Ferrari only need one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

The under bulge in the centre of the rear wing is a more aggressive camber as Vanja said. So it should entrain the gas from the wastegate and by extension the main exhaust a little more than normal. It could be a bit more downforce in the corners. A blown wing. The unneeded engine power will be put to use to get more downforce.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manfer
Manfer

PlatinumZealot

I already predicted this in the engine thread. No one listened. They have more than 4MJ per lap. I coined it "Reverse extra harvesting" or "Extra deploy."
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏