Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

ferkan wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 23:07
lio007 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 22:29
Really strange things around the Ferrari-PU:
https://twitter.com/Diego_G_Alonso/stat ... 9450270720
Just a little fire...nothing to see here:p
No fire but reflection of the red rear light I guess

NutritionFact

gandharva thx for translate... 👍
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

GTR
GTR

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I really enjoy all discussions you make here. Very interesting and substantive forum.

I have a question with regards to "noise" that is being generated by Ferrari, from below video:
I provide example timings where I've heard unusual sounds coming from SF71H: 4:00, 4:22, 6:23, 6:57, 7:10 .
Are these caused by gearbox gears, generated by aero package, tires or turbo's BOV?

Vanja #66

Some days ago I noticed an unexpected geometry around side pods. Last year, the mid wing was smooth all the way from the side pod to deflector. Now it's different:

To what end, I had no clue until I saw this photo of RB14 illustrating to me how teams use bodywork around side pods to influence and guide the flow with various pressure zones:

You can see rain spots and trails from just above side pod inlet going towards this small slot made by top wing root. Slot is making the air exit at higher speed and lower pressure, thus air at higher pressure starts to go towards this zone. Later, I expect it goes further outboard and down to the floor.

This same thing could be what's going on with SF71-H in mid wing root area. There is, unfortunately, no photo of mid wing under side yet, as this would tell us a lot about this area. If that slot is converging, than it's probably to help guide the airflow down to the floor. If it's diverging, by any chance... no clue what would be going on about it, to be honest. :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

paddyf1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 22:42
"The open face of the mirror exposes a guide vane that's connected to the rear of the mirror glass.

This not only allows the airflow another pathway, but gives it a purpose - reducing the turbulence created, and feeding the upper sidepod inlet while improving flow over the entire surface of the sidepod downstream.

Other teams will now almost certainly be looking on with interest and evaluating the design of the mirrors, to see if any benefits can be found by adopting such as a design themselves.

While Ferrari is the only team with such a sidepod inlet that can be helped with this design, the concept could be used by others to help reduce airflow resistance in this area of the car".....Matt Somerfield.
Erm... Matt sommerfield is just a journalist who started out on this forum a few years ago gleaning the technical crumbs from the same people here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach
Sevach

outsid3r

Are they using some kind of plastic composite for the "fins" (for the lack of a better word) in the bottom part of the bargeboards?
- They are matte black and it doesn't make sense painting these while leaving several other parts in this area showing naked carbon
- Stone chips/Debris seems to be showing a white material underneath

AnthonyG

outsid3r wrote:
08 Mar 2018, 13:13
Are they using some kind of plastic composite for the "fins" (for the lack of a better word) in the bottom part of the bargeboards?
- They are matte black and it doesn't make sense painting these while leaving several other parts in this area showing naked carbon
Can also just be carbon and the white is the resin being chipped. The paint is very thin on F1 cars.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

wesley123
wesley123

Those parts are most likely printed.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Mr.G

outsid3r wrote:
EDIT: - I mean for the camera holder...

I would say it's faster to print such part on 3D printer...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

PhillipM
PhillipM

Probably carbonfibre infused nylon.

Squid
Squid

dren

This was in the testing thread:

Honda!

Nick47crg

outsid3r wrote:
I'm confident it's "windform SP".

http://www.windform.com/PDF/SCHEDA_WF_SP_ENG.pdf