Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Zynerji wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 03:38
Why would allowing the drivers to have control of the waste gate be illegal?
It is prohibited under the article 3.8 of the Technical Regulations
FIA F1 TechRegs wrote: With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.6.8{DRS}, any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.
But I have a hard time imagining how it can work.

Vanja #66

ferkan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 23:46
http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2018/04 ... 1h-si.html
  • Ferrari used new floor in Bahrain, it is structurally different as the old one had slight flexibility that caused instability while cornering
  • There were few changes introduced to bargeboard area
  • Changes where obviously very positive and confirmed CFD and simulation data
  • Ferrari PU now exceeding qualifying mode of Mercedes
  • In race however, they did more lift and coast then Mercedes and would lose 0.1-0.3 tenths on some laps in S3 on straights
  • Innovative system from Ferrari was introduced in SF71H where driver can manually (with pedal on steering wheel) control hot air coming from wastegates to make rear wing more efficient (?)
  • Borderline legal, but questions FIA could receive questions about this
  • Bottas was faster only on lap 4, 9 and 16 and recovered 3.5s deficit through bigger then expected performance gap between new M and old S tires, slower pit entry from Vettel and slow pitstop (fast for Bottas)
  • Ferrari in China had performance advantage on all tires, in race and in Q
This article seems filled with speculation and author opinion presented as facts. Ferrari loosing 1-3 tenths per lap in race on main straight? So Mercedes was actually faster there, right?

Hm, not quite sure about that. As for wastegate gasses, sorry, pure speculation there. Take a look at Renault and Ferrari exhausts and you'll see the difference. Ferrari's exhaust is nowhere near where it should be to provide any aid to rear wing. I give this article a rating of high quality click bait, low quality report - too much speculation fused with mediocre analysis of actual data.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

aral
aral

This thread is for discussion about the actual car and its parts. Wild speculation about illegal devices does not belong here.

roon
roon

JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 13:06
Xwang wrote:Is it possible to loose so much performace for this damage?
A floor that is not able to seal on one side? Yes
Sometimes you want a big notch in the floor.

JonoNic

I bet the notch is both sides.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

henra
henra

Interesting!
I'm wondering though, why Vettel was so far off of the speeds of Kimi? In all traps. So it was probably not just the lucky one time slipstream for Kimi. Any ideas?

Holm86

roon wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 20:54
JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 13:06
Xwang wrote:Is it possible to loose so much performace for this damage?
A floor that is not able to seal on one side? Yes
Sometimes you want a big notch in the floor.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2mgl1u1.jpg
If I remember correctly, McLaren scrapped that concept pretty quickly?

Vanja #66

henra wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 22:55
Interesting!
I'm wondering though, why Vettel was so far off of the speeds of Kimi? In all traps. So it was probably not just the lucky one time slipstream for Kimi. Any ideas?
It's the DRS range, Kimi was more in the thick of battle than Seb and it's better with more cars making your tow. Intermediate 1 and 2 speed differences can also be attributed to having a small tow.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Vanja #66 wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 06:48
henra wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 22:55
Interesting!
It's the DRS range, Kimi was more in the thick of battle than Seb and it's better with more cars making your tow. Intermediate 1 and 2 speed differences can also be attributed to having a small tow.
I was closely watching the gaps during the first stint of the race and Bottas would consistently gain several tenths in the final sector for a large chunk of that stint. At the time I wondered if Seb was doing some kind of saving (he’d gain the time back in the other sectors) so wouldn’t surprise me at all if there was some fuel saving here - although I would have thought lower mode due to the fact it was on the straight, not all in the braking zone.

Obviously they’d turn the engine back up at other stages of the race, so that explains the speed trap data.

(Feel free to move since it’s not on topic but it’s a direct reply to things discussed in this thread)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

Close-up view on the inlet beneath the Halo

AMuS

ScrewCaptain27

So it is probably just a rotary switch like any other.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Morteza

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:30
So it is probably just a rotary switch like any other.
Apparently yes, and Kimi doesn't have it on his steering wheel which is a bit odd. Maybe it's Seb's preference to have the switch there while Kimi has it on another part of his steering wheel.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

iulian_florea
iulian_florea

I wrote yesterday about the paddle but the post was deleted it seems. :?
I was wondering if it might be a new switch for brake ballance, to fine tune it for each corner. Vettel was complaining about brakes issues in AUS.
If the idea is so stupid it should be removed by the admin once again, please let me know by pm. :P

Big Mangalhit

iulian_florea wrote:
20 Apr 2018, 12:44
I wrote yesterday about the paddle but the post was deleted it seems. :?
I was wondering if it might be a new switch for brake ballance, to fine tune it for each corner. Vettel was complaining about brakes issues in AUS.
If the idea is so stupid it should be removed by the admin once again, please let me know by pm. :P
I think this could be it tbh. I see the brake bias as one of the settings that drivers fiddle most during the race, usually adjusting almost corner to corner, for instance engine modes I think you are restricted by the amount of changes you can make. So for such an important setting maybe Seb finds it easier if he has a dedicated paddle to mess around that doesn't involve taking a hand out of the wheel. I could totally see this being coupled with a button for the thumb that opens the "brake tune menu" and then the paddle changes the percentage to your liking and you lock it with your button and release the paddle until next tune. I always hated how drivers are constantly taking the hand of the wheel to adjust a knob for brake bias, seems not the best interface for racing.