Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 16:06
F1Krof wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 14:53
I meant to say this:

Look how much cleaner the airflow would be on the Ferrari compared to Mercedes.

https://cdn-9.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... arison.jpg

https://snag.gy/Qdoe1T.jpg
The air going to the sidepods will be that going between the wishbones on the Merc - they're a lot higher than the Ferrari's. There's a lot of aero pieces between the wishbones and the sidepods so it's impossible to really look at that image and say one is better than the other. One might just as easily conclude that the Ferrari uses the top entry sidepods because its front suspension gets in the way of a conventional approach. No way for us to know. Different aero philosopies is all we can say.
They are all seeking for more DF at the rear and maybe Ferrari has more than Merc.
But first, we must have a clear picture between what means to have maximum DF regardless whatever drag levels and the one with the least drag or efficient DF philosophy like Merc is calling (Vanja could explain this better than me) ...
It`s always a compromise between DF and drag but the real question is had is better to have less DF but an efficient DF like Merc or rather have more DF and more drag like Ferrari and RB has ...

Now on another note, is it me or Lewis has had reported the same power loss in Canada?
Had is the same fuel pump issue, fortunately, is prior 2.1 spec PU but unfortunately isn`t solved yet ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Vanja #66

Last year, it was claimed Ferrari had more overall downforce than Merc, but also more drag, while Merc extracted downforce from huge floor in exchange for minor drag penalty. Since tyres are wider, as well as wings, it looks even more important to have the best possible aero efficiency than before.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

atanatizante

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:01
Last year, it was claimed Ferrari had more overall downforce than Merc, but also more drag, while Merc extracted downforce from huge floor in exchange for minor drag penalty. Since tyres are wider, as well as wings, it looks even more important to have the best possible aero efficiency than before.
Thanx Vanja for clarifying it.

Now regarding this new sidepod layout, could that lower horizontal edge of sidepod air intake have a slope/AoA in order to create some efficient DF and - as a secondary and much small effect - to lower the CoG for being in the proximity of that plan/area? Or it`s too costly coz it could induce more drag?

The same scenario to the lower edge of the ICE air intake above the driver`s head: could it be designed with a slope/AoA for the same pursuit of useful DF?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Vanja #66

It's just a bit bigger surface area than it was before, so that isn't the main effect. Looks more important for diverting air down (or at least to keep it straight).

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The whole arrangement appears, to me at least, to be aiming to improve airflow around the side bulge of the sidepod. Presumably it's aimed at improving air flow to the diffuser area. I wonder if they had some separation behind the bulge and this was giving them the lack of rear end that the drivers reported. Certainly, Bottas's comments about the rear end being much better now, suggests that the arrangement has improved rear end downforce - implying the diffuser is working better.

The large curving vane connecting the top wing to the side pod is directing air outwards around the top corner of the sidepod shoulder bulge. The set back radiator entry appears to be intended to funnel air through the side gap below the curved vane. It all looks like air flow around the bulge was the problem.

I can't help but think it looks a bit "draggy" - every time you turn air you get some drag, after all. But if the drag is off set by better downforce and rear end stability then it's obviously worth it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 10:33
I wonder if they had some separation behind the bulge and this was giving them the lack of rear end that the drivers reported. Certainly, Bottas's comments about the rear end being much better now, suggests that the arrangement has improved rear end downforce - implying the diffuser is working better.
My guess is that the issue was the airflow rolling off the sidepod. They previously ran the VGs on there for I believe only 2 races, which I personally found odd.

And the set back sidepod is nothing new
[/img]https://bluntobject.files.wordpress.com ... ari-tq.png[/img]

The point back then was to create more area in between the podvanes and the sidepod inlet. This would allow a cleaner path to the rear.

The interesting part is that they have created three holes in between the element over the top of the sidepod and the sidepod itself; where it's AoA increases further outboard
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

JasonF1

Now that Mercedes has updated their sidepod and have too much rear downforce, they may update their front wing next. As Gary Anderson said, now that they are experimenting this new concept, there is a lot of gain to be made in other areas of the car.

The quote from him: "Along the way, I'm pretty sure Mercedes will have found a few other things that can be improved in the near future, so I don't think we have yet seen the maximum from this package."

ScrewCaptain27

Beautiful image of the front suspension internals. Also note the carbon steering column:
Via Motorsport.com
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Noetiepoerker26

Attachment of the wheel tethers to the chassis is also nicely visualised in this photograph.
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

ScrewCaptain27

Spoon-shaped RW is back, in a higher downforce configuration compared to Baku:
Photo by Albert Fabrega
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

giantfan10
giantfan10

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 18:48
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201807 ... abd333.jpg
Photo by Albert Fabrega
Looks like the exact same wing to me taken from a slightly different height....what makes you think its a different rear wing?

Steven
Owner

giantfan10 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 19:24
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Photo by Albert Fabrega
Looks like the exact same wing to me taken from a slightly different height....what makes you think its a different rear wing?
The Silverstone spec seems to have a wider, and more flat central part of the leading edge, compared to a continuous curve on the Baku spec.

mantikos
mantikos

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Photo by Albert Fabrega
I understand the wing - how about the end plates, have they reverted back to the old ones there too?

Sevach
Sevach

ScrewCaptain27

mantikos wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 22:48
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Photo by Albert Fabrega
I understand the wing - how about the end plates, have they reverted back to the old ones there too?
Yes, the old endplates were mounted on the car for scrutineering. We’ll see tomorrow if they are to remain.
- Serj Tankian