Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AngusF1
AngusF1

Re: Liberty Media New F1 from 2021

Good point and no idea, sounds like a can of worms. Perhaps we'll see a lot of "vehicle dynamics engineers" becoming "valvetrain engineers" and "crankshaft optimisation technicians".

I actually like this budget cap, if it can really be implemented. It'll take F1 teams back down to 200 staff, and good ideas and fast driving will become more important than simply spending more to optimise more highly.

ME4ME

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13519 ... -f1-future
Ferrari and Mercedes remain the two teams that need the most convincing. Immediately after the meeting, Toto Wolff and Niki Lauda met with Maurizio Arrivabene at the Mercedes hospitality building to discuss what they'd heard.
:roll: :sick:

Zynerji

Make them share tech each GP weekend, and watch how quickly the teams get their spending under control.

bosyber
bosyber

Zynerji wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:46
Make them share tech each GP weekend, and watch how quickly the teams get their spending under control.
Indeed, cut the amount of money they can spend on any single thing, get them to show the cars more openly so secrets are harder to hide, and the return on investing more than the cap goes down.

marmer
marmer

just on the staff wages. could't teams just move staff on paper to new roles to hide what they actually do. any staff not at a race weekend can be hidden by the large manufactures easily

Zynerji

bosyber wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 16:50
Zynerji wrote:
Indeed, cut the amount of money they can spend on any single thing, get them to show the cars more openly so secrets are harder to hide, and the return on investing more than the cap goes down.
The reverse engineering budgets would disappear, and teams could catch up. No team would overspend just to give it away.

Maritimer
Maritimer

Open public inspections like NASCAR have would do wonders

tcooper27
tcooper27

Resource and spending caps are great and all, but I still think there needs to be concessions in place that make it easier for new teams or constructors to catch up to the field, or else we're going to have a repeat of Honda's struggles from 2023 onward.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

marmer wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 17:00
just on the staff wages. could't teams just move staff on paper to new roles to hide what they actually do. any staff not at a race weekend can be hidden by the large manufactures easily
That's always the problem of a budget cap proposal because it is essentially unenforceable.

muramasa
muramasa

What a horrible proposal. I'm against making anything standard and simple. Standard battery, standard turbo, standard wheel, removal of mgu-h, and so on and on....are they joking? Those variety and high tech is exactly what makes F1 hyper attractive and unique, and sublime. They want to destruct Formula 1 or what? And can they just sod this "cuz irrelevant for fans, irrelevant from fan's perspective" bs altogether? Everything is relevant to me, thank you very much.

wesley123
wesley123

Zynerji wrote:
Probably not so much because knowing what someone else does is different than understanding what someone else does.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

The weird thing in this all is when you consider the value of F1 itself. This value comes for a large part from the teams contesting. When you are artificially limiting the size and value of each of the teams you are essentially lowering F1s worth. Less sponsorship will be there, and sponsorship becomes a whole lot cheaper; all negatively impacting F1s worth.

Now for Liberty Media that won't be much of a problem; because of the budget limit the amount of prize money will most likely be smaller, which means more money for Liberty Media.

In short; this is just a cash grab.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

popovic94

muramasa wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 18:51
What a horrible proposal. I'm against making anything standard and simple. Standard battery, standard turbo, standard wheel, removal of mgu-h, and so on and on....are they joking? Those variety and high tech is exactly what makes F1 hyper attractive and unique, and sublime. They want to destruct Formula 1 or what? And can they just sod this "cuz irrelevant for fans, irrelevant from fan's perspective" bs altogether? Everything is relevant to me, thank you very much.
I agree with you, I always liked Formula 1 because it was unique, it was the pinacle of high tech in a given set of rules. Standard parts will take that apeal from sport, we already have F2 spec series. Arguably 10 out of 20 drivers would win championship in the Mercedes car. And I dont have a problem with that, and havent got a problem when Red Bull was dominating, that's the nature of the game, a team that does a better job in a given set of rules (Formula) WINS. This is a win for 500-1000 engineers who worked hard, not only for your favorite driver, and that competition is pushing the development of new technologies.
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dren wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 12:35
  • PUs will be what Liberty put on the table earlier: 1.6l turbos with stronger MGUKs. No MGUH. Increased revs by 3000rpms.
to be fair, if the fuel flow limit is maintained , it won't mean a thing.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

wesley123 wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 20:06
Zynerji wrote:
Probably not so much because knowing what someone else does is different than understanding what someone else does.
CAD drawings/data to look at are far cheaper than buying high-res pics, and building 3d models from them, then surfacing them, then running them in CFD. Each team has a sub-team that does this for all 9 other teams. Secrecy then leads to bidding on stealth photography and such, driving up cost.

IF the teams had to submit a fully detailed mechanical model of the car as it sits in parc-ferme, the teams could converge more quickly, and not be inclined to spend so much.

Actually, you would almost need to put in a MINIMUM spend of 75M or so.

That would lead each team/manufacturer receiving 750M worth of technical development per year, where they are now only getting between 50M and 400M.

I really think there is a self balance that this introduces that kind of makes cheating/trickery/poaching simply evaporate from the playing field.