2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
aleks_ader

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

Mandrake wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:33
max_speed wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:22
Chene_Mostert wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:18

Then you have very low standards =D>
what matters at the end of day is standing on the board ?.Using Kimi as a Guinea pig does show high standards ferrari as a racing team have.i like racing and overtakes. i guess even racing gods are fed up of boring processions.
Had Kimi been pitted at the right time, he would not have come home third. So he should not complain, nor should we. Had Vettel been pitted in the right moment he would have been where Bottas ended... So it was suboptimal in any scenario with the SC today.
Yeah exactly the pace of top 3 teams is too close to make any overtake with same tires. I doubt pace would be so much better to make easy POS 2 or 3. Ferrari did everything fine just 1s and they would got the BOT.
So yeah building the lead and made the aggressive strategies is way to go.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Poleman

Chene_Mostert wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:30
max_speed wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:26
Red Bull is pure racing team. fast engine changes . sub 3 seconds pit stops while double stacking. prompt strategy changes. verstappen & renault are costing them a bit.
I have to agree with you here, They think on their feet and try and finish a race in the quickest time, always aggressive.
Their only weakness is Renault & Max.
+1 on this and it seems Ferrari and Mercedes get over confident with their cars and act cocky (or stupid) in the pit wall. RedBull on the other hand with their car being slightly behind the top 2 have to think smarter and they do just that.

ripper
ripper

Anyway I didn't like what ALO did on VET, he pushed the FER driver out of track. He gets too aggressive when he sees red.

Poleman

Harvester wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:31
The timing of deploying safety car is very interesting. It is like they waited for bottas and vettel to pass the pit entry and then deploy safety car to mix things up but it is probably coincidence.

Sorry I didn't want to quote you. This has nothing to do with your post.
The pit under safety car should be banned next year...It may be creating some drama and entertainment in the race but robs the ones that pass the finish line their efforts and performance.

Mr.G

For me it looks like Ferrari made the mistake yesterday in Q2 - when Mercedes got out for the second S run and Ferrari after them for US I was hoping they does it on purpose to differentiate the strategy from Mercedes. Mercedes couldn't afford to star on US in the hot they would destroy them too soon. However, Ferrari (like RedBull show us) would be different story. They would have better start pull off bigger gap and pit earlier to prevent under cut... Still the SC would mess it up, but that is motor racing...

One way or another it was good race. As a Ferrari fan I'm bit disappointed, but we get lucky too... So kudos for RIC!!! MAX screwed it up as usually (FIA should be harder to him or he never learn). It looks like Mercedes and Ferrari are on par and who make less errors/mistakes/wrong decisions will have better chance to win both championships.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Harvester
Harvester

Poleman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:41
Chene_Mostert wrote:
max_speed wrote:
Red Bull is pure racing team. fast engine changes . sub 3 seconds pit stops while double stacking. prompt strategy changes. verstappen & renault are costing them a bit.
I have to agree with you here, They think on their feet and try and finish a race in the quickest time, always aggressive.
+1 on this and it seems Ferrari and Mercedes get over confident with their cars and act cocky (or stupid) in the pit wall. RedBull on the other hand with their car being slightly behind the top 2 have to think smarter and they do just that.
It's not just that Red Bull are smarter it is also that they are behind Ferrari and Mercedes and they can risk a lot kmore because there is not much they can lose. Even if they make horrible strategy mistakes they would still be 5th and 6th

ripper
ripper

They couldn't be harder with VER, consistency is what we need from stewards. They gave 10 seconds to Toro Rosso driver and gave same penalty to Verstappen, correct decision in my opinion.

Poleman

Harvester wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:48
It's not just that Red Bull are smarter it is also that they are behind Ferrari and Mercedes and they can risk a lot kmore because there is not much they can lose. Even if they make horrible strategy mistakes they would still be 5th and 6th
Yeah that also makes sense,good point.

Mr.G

Poleman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:41
Chene_Mostert wrote:
max_speed wrote:
It's more like RedBull doesn't have much to choose. If they doesn't try something else they know that they'll be P4, P5 at best... So they go aggressive and if they got lucky (like today's SC) they get a chance... If they have a car as fast as Mercedes and Ferrari they will be more cautious as they can loose much more than gain... Also if the midfield was closer to them it would be a different story too...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

sosic2121
sosic2121

Chene_Mostert wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 09:54
Stupid stupid strategy by Ferrari. If they want to win this they will need to become pro active and not reactive in pit stops.
Cool and calm overtaking from Ric... well done! =D> A lot more race craft than his Fish mouth team mate.
I really can't understand what were they trying to do!?
Maybe I can understand that Bottas surprised them with incredible lap, but what were they trying to achieve with kimi!?
Also, I have to say, Vettel brought this on himself! After a bad start he squeezed Kimi, and that gave Bottas P2.
If it was Ferrari P1 and P2 it would be totally different race for them.

F1NAC

ripper wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:44
Anyway I didn't like what ALO did on VET, he pushed the FER driver out of track. He gets too aggressive when he sees red.
Red + Vettel combo, must be triggering. Something like that smiley -> :twisted:

:D

JonoNic

sosic2121 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:
Stupid stupid strategy by Ferrari. If they want to win this they will need to become pro active and not reactive in pit stops.
Cool and calm overtaking from Ric... well done! =D> A lot more race craft than his Fish mouth team mate.
Maybe I can understand that Bottas surprised them with incredible lap, but what were they trying to achieve with kimi!?
Also, I have to say, Vettel brought this on himself! After a bad start he squeezed Kimi, and that gave Bottas P2.
It's like it was a good strategy for the previous race not this one. Ferrari seems like they are late reactors

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Max sure f*cked up big time today- what a shame, he could have won this race.. but surely he threw away an easy 1-2.

Hamilton very lucky with what happend to Vettel.. otherwise Vettel would have still increased the gap.

henra
henra

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:55
The starts are Vettel's Achilles heel. They ruined last year (many of Seb's incidents were caused by him having a less than ideal start and then having to defend too hard) and they continue to do this year. That's where he needs to work on.

Harvester
Harvester

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:55
Chene_Mostert wrote:
With Kimi they probably waited safety car or virtual safety car and that would work out for them almost as it did in Melbourne for Vettel but unfortunately they were 3 laps too early.