2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JasonF1

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:54
GPR-A wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 17:27
I would be surprised if two hundred questions haven't reached FIA already, about Ferrari's smoky flavor in the pit lane! Customers should get the same specification of engines and why is that they are not smoking in the pitlane and the start?
From what I heard just today, Ferrari actually haven't changed their PUs from pre-season. Seb's car has the one from first week, Kimi's from second, so that's why they are smoking a lot still. Until they change their p3/qualy/race engines, they'll be smoking a lot, with those older spec bearings and what not. Haas and Sauber on the other hand, use new units, as is their right as customer teams of course, so less smoking from them now. :)
Why would they penalise themselves and use PU with lots of mileage on them? This doesn't make sense.

ian_s

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 18:54
From what I heard just today, Ferrari actually haven't changed their PUs from pre-season. Seb's car has the one from first week, Kimi's from second, so that's why they are smoking a lot still. Until they change their p3/qualy/race engines, they'll be smoking a lot, with those older spec bearings and what not. Haas and Sauber on the other hand, use new units, as is their right as customer teams of course, so less smoking from them now. :)
the engines from testing don't count towards the seasons allocation of 3, there's no way they would run a used engine and basically lose 1/3rd of the engine pool

turbof1

Well maybe there are production delays that may force them to atleast reuse some parts from the pre season. It's always possible, although I can imagine that things were really on edge at Ferrari and that it involved a whole lot of Italian cursing.
#AeroFrodo

FLuidd
FLuidd

dren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 12:40
I'm expecting Hamilton to bounce back and take pole and victory.
The only thing that goes Mercedes way in China is the cooler temperatures because Mercedes can turn on the tyres faster than other teams, they might choose to run the mediums again in the race in the cold conditions.

Ferrari it seems that have the upper hand in the 2 straights in China, but might struggle in the twisty section.

So in essence there are reasons to feel upbeat about Hamilton this week, but I would start praying they bring updates when the European Season starts since they are lacking behind Ferrari in fast circuits where top speed is important.

Needless to say that if Hamilton fails to convert this race into a win or worse to end up behind Vettel... then his championship chances are dropping.

Last but not least let us no forget that Hamiltons last DNF was in 2 October 2016 at Sepang and as time and each race passes the DNF monster will start hunting you down, even so, Hamilton has been extremely lucky in 2017 to have no mechanical, tyre failures or collisions... believe me his luck will eventually run out. ( i am looking at you MAX )

Harvester
Harvester

It's very interesting that everyone is curious now about ferrari PU. It seems they did pretty good job. It seems merc guys are puzzled, they even analyze ferrari engine pitch changes that they claim are different than customers (I've read this in ferrari PU tread)

zibby43
zibby43

ferkan wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 12:08
ferkan wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:43
Yet Merc had best final sector times.
It's track specific. If you look at Sector 3 in Bahrain, for example, the long straights can help to cool the tires. So, Sector 3 in Bahrain probably helped Merc's problem a bit.

If you're overheating your rears and heading into a Sector 3 packed with demanding corners, different story entirely. Hence, "final sectors can fall apart."

Pretty basic stuff here.
My point is they looked pretty good in Bahrain. As in, they didn't look like in Singapore or that there was 1s missing somewhere. It just seemed like Ferrari was slightly faster, that is all. Being slightly faster does not mean Merc must have had horrible issue with its car.
They looked pretty good in the race, and they weren't miles off in qualifying. I'm following you there, and I'd tend to agree with both statements.

But Merc were having issues with the SS in the hot conditions. I wasn't speculating as to whether Merc was overheating its rears during Bahrain qualifying.

The team articulated this.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

FLuidd wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 21:51
dren wrote:
The only thing that goes Mercedes way in China is the cooler temperatures because Mercedes can turn on the tyres faster than other teams, they might choose to run the mediums again in the race in the cold conditions.

Ferrari it seems that have the upper hand in the 2 straights in China, but might struggle in the twisty section.

So in essence there are reasons to feel upbeat about Hamilton this week, but I would start praying they bring updates when the European Season starts since they are lacking behind Ferrari in fast circuits where top speed is important.

Needless to say that if Hamilton fails to convert this race into a win or worse to end up behind Vettel... then his championship chances are dropping.

Last but not least let us no forget that Hamiltons last DNF was in 2 October 2016 at Sepang and as time and each race passes the DNF monster will start hunting you down, even so, Hamilton has been extremely lucky in 2017 to have no mechanical, tyre failures or collisions... believe me his luck will eventually run out. ( i am looking at you MAX )
I think the whole “struggling in the twisty section” is a red herring. Ferrari were consistently fastest in the middle sector in Bahrain, which is similar in its characteristics to China - some fast chicanes, two stop/starts.

Apart from the info coming out of redbull which is that Ferrari loses out through “every corner” - Ferrari seem pretty well suited to the characteristics of this track. Lots of mid and high speed stuff, two giant straights.

As you say, the main factors favouring Mercedes is the temperature and the medium compound tyres, and the fact this track has historically suited them.

I still have no idea what’s going to happen, which is why I’m loving this season so much so far!

ferkan
ferkan

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 01:38
FLuidd wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 21:51
dren wrote:

I think the whole “struggling in the twisty section” is a red herring. Ferrari were consistently fastest in the middle sector in Bahrain, which is similar in its characteristics to China - some fast chicanes, two stop/starts.

Apart from the info coming out of redbull which is that Ferrari loses out through “every corner” - Ferrari seem pretty well suited to the characteristics of this track. Lots of mid and high speed stuff, two giant straights.

As you say, the main factors favouring Mercedes is the temperature and the medium compound tyres, and the fact this track has historically suited them.

I still have no idea what’s going to happen, which is why I’m loving this season so much so far!
RB is (Horner actually) saying they are fastest through pretty much every corner as deficit on the engine side was about 0.5s in Bahrain.

They also said Merc has 0.5s on engine side to Ferrari, but 2 weeks later they changed their tune. Would not trust them with anything they say.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

^^ exactly

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

fp1 lewis by 2 tenths, 37 mins to go

JasonF1

johnny comelately wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 04:52
fp1 lewis by 2 tenths, 37 mins to go
Rai was on ultra on his fastest lap vs softs for Hamilton.

Sevach
Sevach

Good durability from US in China, might be 1 stop for everyone again.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JonoNic

Why are all the Mercedes powered teams going no softer than soft?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

JonoNic wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 06:15
Why are all the Mercedes powered teams going no softer than soft?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
They can probably warm up them faster.