Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

zeph wrote:
29 May 2018, 19:50
Phil wrote:
29 May 2018, 13:42
IMO - It's a fantasy to think Alonso is wanted outside of McLaren. Alonso is turning 37 this July - he's not a driver that is there to spend another 3 years of his career and grow with a team. This IMO pretty much excludes him from pretty much any of the manufacturer teams.

The sad thing is; Alonso isn't a threat to anyone. He's stuck at McLaren, who are not competitive. He's not taking away major points. The only place I see Alonso going, is out of F1.
Yup, that is about the size of it. Shame, I'm a fan and will always remember him for ending the Schuey-era. But he made a mess of 2007, and has been conservative in his subsequent career choices. Can you imagine what would have happened if he had taken RBR's offer in 2008?
I bet Fernando can...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

well, that would have seen him have 6 titles. 1 short of Schumi.

and i'm pretty sure he would have also moved to Ferrari like Vettel did, to get that final title with Ferrari.
quite frankly, i could actually see him having grabbed the 2017 title with Ferrari.

Meaning Ham would still have 3 titles, and Alonso 7. Which could see Alonso sit out another year to see if he can beat Schumi's 7 titles,
or he could actually do a rosberg and go for that triple crown full-time.

The biggest question is what would have happened to Vettel?
would he have been alongside Alonso @ RB ? would he have went to Ferrari instead? or would he have went to Mercedes instead of Rosberg?
probably it would result in that Vettel never had this amount of titles, or perhaps not even a single one - which would paint a different picture.

instead, Alonso has had the sad privilidge of standing in the rain for about a decade now.
well, in any case, it's still raining dollar bills for him so not that we really should feel too sad about it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

hemichromis
hemichromis

Unfortunately the only chance Alonso has of getting a top drive is if Vettel or Hamilton retire unexpectedly and either team needs a good No 1 driver fast.

Even then I can't see either of those teams choosing him When an equally quick, much younger driver is available in the form of Ricciardo...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Funny now how VanDoorne becomes the talking point.

Renault is concidering hiring VanDoorne to replace Sainz should he go to RedBull (should Ricciardo leave or Verstappen gets replaced).
This would open up a seat at Mclaren for Norris for example.
Meanwhile, VanDoorne claims he's not worried about his seat at all and the team has confidence in him (sure bud, where have we heared that before).
But critisism is growing on his performance and how he's too far behind Alonso, atleast 2 to 3 tenths.
also vandoorne has only 8 points versus a 'whopping' 32 points for Alonso in just 6 races.

imho, i was never impressed with VanDoorne, still am not impressed, and quite frankly, don't see him improve by any margin whatsoever.
On the contrary i have been relatively and fairly impressed with Lando Norris, so to be honest, ask for me, i'd say Norris has quite the deck of cards,
and VanDoorne is....well, rather empty-handed (at Mclaren that is).

Would VanDoorne be an improvement over Sainz for Renault? Surely not, but if Sainz leaves, they have to do something, and i can see how VanDoorne is their
only choice.

Funny enough, it would be a win-win for Mclaren. A much more potent driver in the Mclaren, and their powerless current nr2 driver, far less talented than Sainz,
driving for Renault (essentially direct competition) alongside the neither so talented Hulkenberg, who has slided more or less into Sutil territory.

If Ricciardo indeed leaves RB and goes for Ferrari or Mclaren, and RB grabs Sainz and puts him in the RedBull, then it would be a win-win for Mclaren immediately.

Unless Alonso leaves, that would leave them quite with a big hole to fill. As usual there's talk he'll commit for Indy in 2019 but i honestly don't feel that'll happen.
He'll sit out F1 throughout 2020 and either give 2021 a shot, or that will be his departure. Untill then he'll stay with Mclaren, move to Mercedes, or crazy go to Ferrari.
Or even more crazy - step into the RedBull alongside Verstappen. that would be something.
with Honda :D

wait, that's actually starting to make sense as crazy as it sounds. Honda paid his gigantic salary. He has finally hit a point where he critisized Honda, not shortly after the relationship with Mclaren deterioated, that separated, now Honda is with ToroRosso without any meaningfull problems, there's a huge powerful update for Honda on it's way, RedBull could very well start using capable Honda engines (even though it's a fairy tale i want to but cant believe), and then Alonso comes right back in with RedBull,

Honda has invested a lot in Alonso, making Alonso the immediate Nr1 driver, Mclaren is left with a crappy Renault engine and only Norris as talent and third-grade drivers left to fill his spot.

yeah i know, i'm making it up as i go.

would be pretty cool though.
and hey!

RedBull surely will be able to make Alonso's Indy race happen - would be a pretty awesome job for Newey too!
Alonso with a Aston Martin RedBull powerd by a Honda engine? in LeMans? and driving for a RedBull-sponsored, Honda powered Indycar?

yes please!
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Big Tea

I think Alonso will not get a drive at Red Bull Honda for the same reasons Red Bull can not get Mercedes or Ferrari engines
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
30 May 2018, 18:05
Funny now how VanDoorne becomes the talking point.

Renault is concidering hiring VanDoorne to replace Sainz should he go to RedBull (should Ricciardo leave or Verstappen gets replaced).
This would open up a seat at Mclaren for Norris for example.
Meanwhile, VanDoorne claims he's not worried about his seat at all and the team has confidence in him (sure bud, where have we heared that before).
But critisism is growing on his performance and how he's too far behind Alonso, atleast 2 to 3 tenths.
also vandoorne has only 8 points versus a 'whopping' 32 points for Alonso in just 6 races.

imho, i was never impressed with VanDoorne, still am not impressed, and quite frankly, don't see him improve by any margin whatsoever.
On the contrary i have been relatively and fairly impressed with Lando Norris, so to be honest, ask for me, i'd say Norris has quite the deck of cards,
and VanDoorne is....well, rather empty-handed (at Mclaren that is).

Would VanDoorne be an improvement over Sainz for Renault? Surely not, but if Sainz leaves, they have to do something, and i can see how VanDoorne is their
only choice.

Funny enough, it would be a win-win for Mclaren. A much more potent driver in the Mclaren, and their powerless current nr2 driver, far less talented than Sainz,
driving for Renault (essentially direct competition) alongside the neither so talented Hulkenberg, who has slided more or less into Sutil territory.

If Ricciardo indeed leaves RB and goes for Ferrari or Mclaren, and RB grabs Sainz and puts him in the RedBull, then it would be a win-win for Mclaren immediately.

Unless Alonso leaves, that would leave them quite with a big hole to fill. As usual there's talk he'll commit for Indy in 2019 but i honestly don't feel that'll happen.
He'll sit out F1 throughout 2020 and either give 2021 a shot, or that will be his departure. Untill then he'll stay with Mclaren, move to Mercedes, or crazy go to Ferrari.
Or even more crazy - step into the RedBull alongside Verstappen. that would be something.
with Honda :D

wait, that's actually starting to make sense as crazy as it sounds. Honda paid his gigantic salary. He has finally hit a point where he critisized Honda, not shortly after the relationship with Mclaren deterioated, that separated, now Honda is with ToroRosso without any meaningfull problems, there's a huge powerful update for Honda on it's way, RedBull could very well start using capable Honda engines (even though it's a fairy tale i want to but cant believe), and then Alonso comes right back in with RedBull,

Honda has invested a lot in Alonso, making Alonso the immediate Nr1 driver, Mclaren is left with a crappy Renault engine and only Norris as talent and third-grade drivers left to fill his spot.

yeah i know, i'm making it up as i go.

would be pretty cool though.
and hey!

RedBull surely will be able to make Alonso's Indy race happen - would be a pretty awesome job for Newey too!
Alonso with a Aston Martin RedBull powerd by a Honda engine? in LeMans? and driving for a RedBull-sponsored, Honda powered Indycar?

yes please!
Stoff has an equally impressive record to Lando in the lower formulas (and that coming from probably the biggest Lando fan on the forum) so I think you are being a little harsh on Stoffel. Plus this is Stoffels first proper year in F1. Last year was a joke from McHonda and was the harshest environment imaginable for a rookie.
Vandoorne is the real deal and Mclaren know what they have, he will grow as the year goes on.
As for Lando, I can't wait to see him in F1. Would love to see another top team steal him though. Mclaren won't win a thing in F1 over the next decade.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2018, 18:38
I think Alonso will not get a drive at Red Bull Honda for the same reasons Red Bull can not get Mercedes or Ferrari engines
care to elaborate?

merc and ferrari don't want to work with them because they'd disappear at the horizon and be left with beaten with their own engines.

so, alonso wouldn't want to go to RB then? if they have a WDC capable car, he'd go there if they want him.
would then rb don't want alonso? why?

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
31 May 2018, 00:10
Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2018, 18:38
care to elaborate?

merc and ferrari don't want to work with them because they'd disappear at the horizon and be left with beaten with their own engines.

so, alonso wouldn't want to go to RB then? if they have a WDC capable car, he'd go there if they want him.
would then rb don't want alonso? why?
Bringing them bad PR. GP2 engine etc from Alonso and the similar quips at Renault from RBR. I have little doubt Alonso WOULD want to go to RBR, but they would not take him as things stand.
I must add that 2 years ago they would probably have considered him carefully, but they are not in need of him or a lead driver now.

'because they'd disappear at the horizon and be left with beaten with their own engines'. is also a consideration though :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Suggestions that Freddy is done are absurd!

He remains in the top tier of current drivers. It's not that he wouldn't be wanted outside of McLaren, it's that most of the good seats are full right now, and a team like Ferrari traditionally doesn't like two No.1 drivers within the team.

As a huge Ferrari fan and Alonso fan, and someone who rather dislikes Kimi, I would love to see Ferrari move on from Kimi at end of year (as they seem ready to do, finally!) and replace with him Fred! Would love to see him back at Maranello.

Don't think that is likely to happen however, but it's not because Alonso is washed up or too old.

zac510
zac510

After the teammate battles of Vettel v Webber, then Hamilton v Rosberg, the teams seem to have become a bit more conservative in their driver choices. Bringing Alonso into a team would surely be fireworks for us fans, but too much stress for team principals!

Jolle
Jolle

I think Alonso played a important role in the breakup between McLaren and Honda, so Honda isn't very keen on working with him any time soon. This means he is basically stuck at a Renault powered team until another brand comes into F1.

Good chance for 2019 that will only be the works team and McLaren.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Stories on Raikkonen exiting F1 for Toyota WRC Team are getting really proliferated. I've read that Makkinen was in Monaco as well, it can't be by chance. It's known that he wants him, and I firmly believe that Kimi wants to leave now, he's had enough.
The question is: Leclerc or Ricciardo?
I'd say Leclerc, but we know Ferrari is not so keen for young lads into their factory team, even for a N.2 drive. Or such is the consensus.

FrukostScones

Bill_Kar wrote:
31 May 2018, 14:02
Stories on Raikkonen exiting F1 for Toyota WRC Team are getting really proliferated. I've read that Makkinen was in Monaco as well, it can't be by chance. It's known that he wants him, and I firmly believe that Kimi wants to leave now, he's had enough.
I'd say Leclerc, but we know Ferrari is not so keen for young lads into their factory team, even for a N.2 drive. Or such is the consensus.
HAM to Ferrari
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AJI
AJI

FrukostScones wrote:
31 May 2018, 14:34
Bill_Kar wrote:
31 May 2018, 14:02
HAM to Ferrari
Leclerc to Haas and GRO to Mercedes (as a foot stool for RIC to get into the car)

ScottB
ScottB

At this point, if you are a team in the market for a top driver, you've got 2 choices;

Ricciardo or Alonso.

It's a no brainer, Danny, every single time.

He's younger, you could build your team around him and rely on him to produce the goods for another 5 years plus. Neither of them are going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, so going for a guy who has a very limited lifespan left in the sport, and who seems fairly committed to the idea of competing in other championships, seems questionable. Especially when the two teams at the top already have lead drivers the wrong side of 30, hiring someone even older isn't exactly long term thinking. Particularly Mercedes, having already been burned by a driver randomly retiring, having Danny in the second seat would ensure some stability should Lewis decide he's had enough.

Besides, is there any indication Alonso even wants another 2 - 3 years in the sport? At this point I reckon he'll leave and focus on his Triple Crown endeavours until he fully retires, possibly still under the McLaren umbrella.

McLaren itself probably ends up fielding Vandorne and Norris next year, unless they somehow manage to convince Ricciardo it's a good place to go...