Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McHonda
McHonda

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

AJI wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 12:29
Phil wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 12:07
....It would be interesting though to speculate what Mercedes will do if they cant get Hamilton to resign and how that cascades into other drivers for both seats...
Interesting to speculate, but HAM is a Mercedes boy. He started his career with them, and he'll finish his career with them.

The 2019 driver line-up is based on the movements of RIC and BOT and RAI. Everything else is just a consequence
And none of them will move and Alonso will go to IndyCar.

SiLo

I'm sure if Liberty get it right in the US it will be harder for the big teams to leave.
Felipe Baby!

AJI
AJI

McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 10:37

I'm not so sure about that... RAI is the obvious one to retire from F1. He's on a hiding to nowhere at Ferrari.
BOT doesn't really offer anything to Mercedes apart from a firm #2 for HAM, which is not the motivation HAM needs to dominate.
Alonso.., I'm afraid to say that he's done for F1. He took a gamble with McLaren and it didn't work out. Indy is absolutely an option, but it's not really his level. WEC LMP1-H is now a one horse race, so it's not really a challenge.
RIC is WDC material. Maybe RBR Honda will be a winner, but it's one hell of a gamble.
Interesting times ahead...

McHonda
McHonda

AJI wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 12:25
McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 10:37

I'm not so sure about that... RAI is the obvious one to retire from F1. He's on a hiding to nowhere at Ferrari.
BOT doesn't really offer anything to Mercedes apart from a firm #2 for HAM, which is not the motivation HAM needs to dominate.
Alonso.., I'm afraid to say that he's done for F1. He took a gamble with McLaren and it didn't work out. Indy is absolutely an option, but it's not really his level. WEC LMP1-H is now a one horse race, so it's not really a challenge.
RIC is WDC material. Maybe RBR Honda will be a winner, but it's one hell of a gamble.
Interesting times ahead...
Kimi will be kept until Leclerc is ready. Seb is happy with him and Mercedes not putting two roosters together either is allowing both teams to keep the peace by employing an easy going driver who isn't going to push the lead car enough to cause trouble. Bottas will be kept for the same reason.

Ric can't win because he has a much tougher team mate who will beat him as many times as he beats them, he has a car too far away on most tracks and whether it's Renault or Honda it's not going to change much for them, especially with the simplification of the front and rear wings. No desire from Ferrari or Mercedes to rock the boat and no better seats so he'll stay where he is.

Alonso's in a worse spot than Dan and he has an even worse chance of getting into what will likely be the only two teams fighting for the title until 2021 so there's no point in staying, only downsides driving around the midfield again so he may as well go to IndyCar and lead a McLaren team there and at least have the chance to fight for wins and titles and the Indy 500 he wants. He can always come back in 2021 if there are now more legitimate options for a competitive seat.

There's no reason for any change so I don't believe any of them will. Whoever loses this year might change things as both have the car to win so far but until one of them blows it, if it remains that way, there'll be no room at the inn at Mercedes and Ferrari.

Phil

I really don't get the Bottas negativism in here. He finished 3rd last year in the championship, and extremely close to beating Seb. He won 3 races last year. His performance meant that Mercedes also comfortably won the WCC. Apart from that, he also beat Hamilton fair and square on a couple occasions in qualifying too.

Neglecting that, this year, he could have been leading the championship if he had won Bahrain (very close 2nd), won China (bad luck on the safety car) and also won Baku (tire blew). He also beat Hamilton in QF in Bahrain (ok, so Hamilton did have a gearbox so possibly compromised) and China which isn't too bad.

Overall, Bottas has been extremely solid, especially considering Hamilton may be one of the hardest competitors. Bottas may be that slightly slower than Hamilton, but even if we assume Daniel gets the nod, he might be too. We won't know until they are in the same car. That's just the reality of it. Before that, Rosberg was 2nd to Lewis in all but 2016 when he was aided by an engine blow-out (Malaysia) of Lewis and his issues with launching the car off the line. The only difference then was that Rosberg arguably had less fierce competition because the Mercedes was comfortably in a league of its own for the most of it. I personally think all else considered, Bottas is doing a very solid job, he's performing well, he's a nice guy (perhaps too nice to be a true WDC contender -> IMO) and a very good team-player too. As long as he is close enough to Lewis (check), why replace him with someone else who might not be any better or be better and create fireworks where none are needed?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Phil wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 18:23
Neglecting that, this year, he could have been leading the championship if he had won Bahrain (very close 2nd), won China (bad luck on the safety car) and also won Baku (tire blew). He also beat Hamilton in QF in Bahrain (ok, so Hamilton did have a gearbox so possibly compromised) and China which isn't too bad.
if's and if's and if's, but that didn't happen.
same goes for all the other drivers.

if seb didn't have a ton of failing ferrari engines last year, he could have won the championship.
if seb wasn't hit by verstappen in china, he would have had more points.
if and if and if and if. if i had a million dollars, i would have been a millionaire. i'm not, i don't have it.

the point is not about whether bottas isn't a solid nr2 driver, he's doing fine there.

it's about that's all there is there. again, rosberg was more ferocious and had a bigger 'drive'.
Hamilton is nearing the end of his f1 career. Bottas isn't gonna 'push' or 'pull' Mercedes forward,
so it will become important to have a driver that has the calibre and potential of Hamilton,
if they want to keep their dominance. Bottas is not that guy. So who is, and how are they going to deal with that?

as long as bottas fills the second seat, they can't put in another top driver that gains experience with the team so that when HAM leaves, he's ready to take over.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Phil wrote:
I really don't get the Bottas negativism in here. He finished 3rd last year in the championship, and extremely close to beating Seb. He won 3 races last year. His performance meant that Mercedes also comfortably won the WCC. Apart from that, he also beat Hamilton fair and square on a couple occasions in qualifying too.

Its because he's not fighting Lewis hard and giving Lewis a really hard time. The Ham haters dont like him, and there are plenty of those about.

As you point out, Bottas has actually done very well and if he had a little more luck he'd be well in the title race.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

AJI
AJI

McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 15:22

Kimi will be kept until Leclerc is ready. Seb is happy with him and Mercedes not putting two roosters together either is allowing both teams to keep the peace by employing an easy going driver who isn't going to push the lead car enough to cause trouble. Bottas will be kept for the same reason.

Ric can't win because he has a much tougher team mate who will beat him as many times as he beats them, he has a car too far away on most tracks and whether it's Renault or Honda it's not going to change much for them, especially with the simplification of the front and rear wings. No desire from Ferrari or Mercedes to rock the boat and no better seats so he'll stay where he is.

Alonso's in a worse spot than Dan and he has an even worse chance of getting into what will likely be the only two teams fighting for the title until 2021 so there's no point in staying, only downsides driving around the midfield again so he may as well go to IndyCar and lead a McLaren team there and at least have the chance to fight for wins and titles and the Indy 500 he wants. He can always come back in 2021 if there are now more legitimate options for a competitive seat.

There's no reason for any change so I don't believe any of them will. Whoever loses this year might change things as both have the car to win so far but until one of them blows it, if it remains that way, there'll be no room at the inn at Mercedes and Ferrari.
When you put it like that I can fully understand why F1 can't engage new fans. Gone are the fiery inter-team battles of yesteryear, gone is the Dennis and Brawn style ruthlessness, all replaced with a 'halo' of boredom disguised as a 'safe space'.
At least Red Bull keep it interesting. Shame they can't get a competitive PU to force Mercedes and Ferrari to grow some balls.

AJI
AJI

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 22:27
Phil wrote:
I really don't get the Bottas negativism in here. He finished 3rd last year in the championship, and extremely close to beating Seb...
Its because he's not fighting Lewis hard and giving Lewis a really hard time...
It's because he's boring. Lewis, Seb, Max, Fernando and Dan all have personalities that polarize fans. You either love them or hate them because they're spicy and emotional. Bottas is oatmeal.

djos

Bottas is merely competent, he's been in multiple situations where Dan, Seb & Lewis would have all made the pass successfully instead of settling for their current position. He just lacks that next level ability and fire of the afore mentioned drivers.
"In downforce we trust"

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

djos wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 23:47
Bottas is merely competent, he's been in multiple situations where Dan, Seb & Lewis would have all made the pass successfully instead of settling for their current position. He just lacks that next level ability and fire of the afore mentioned drivers.
Max has been in multiple situations too where he could have settled for position and not attempt any pass and as we've seen could have been well in the title race just a few point shy of Hamilton in P2. All of the crashes/mistakes Max has made (and Lewis in the rookie years) we heard time and time again, just collect safe points and you're there in the hunt at the end of the season.

We can't have Max collecting safe points and Bottas going for every pass possible just because that's what they need to do because what they're doing know is the opposite.

---------------------------------------------

However, as for what Ric decides to do, he's in a bit of a bad place at the mo, if he leaves RBR then goodbye any hope of winning WDC this year. If he stays but they switch to Honda, all hands on deck for next season....goodbye WDC this year. Max is golden boy in that team and I don't think Dan will get a fair crack tbh. It's just a shame because if Dan can find a good drive elsewhere then Sainz will be brought into RBR (good on the face of it) but still, Max is golden boy there and Sainz won't get a fair crack.

McHonda
McHonda

AJI wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 23:19
McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 15:22

When you put it like that I can fully understand why F1 can't engage new fans. Gone are the fiery inter-team battles of yesteryear, gone is the Dennis and Brawn style ruthlessness, all replaced with a 'halo' of boredom disguised as a 'safe space'.
At least Red Bull keep it interesting. Shame they can't get a competitive PU to force Mercedes and Ferrari to grow some balls.
The plus side is 2021 rule overhaul and budget caps should make this type of removing the competition Mercedes and Ferrari have done so effectively, almost impossible as there will be so many more seats but it doesn't help most of the best drivers right now.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

djos wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 23:47
this.

Some people in the past suggested Bottas would be the next Hakkinnen, and i know Hakkinnen is a fond backer (not financially) of Bottas, and Bottas is a fan of Mika, even weiring his Helmet design in Monaco,

but quite frankly, he's nothing like Hakkinnen. Kimi is much, much more like Hakkinnen, i'd just describe Kimi as a bit more of a 'badboy' Fin and (not saying he's an alcoholic or something like that) more like a 'drunk, badboy Mika'.

Thing is, i think people are expecting more from Bottas than we're getting. TBH i never have been impressed with him, not at Williams, never. I don't think he's bad at any way though, he's pretty good really. But, that's really it for me. Apart from that i do really think and see that he's a really nice, superbly amicable bloke, quite a 'normal' guy to be honest, and as a person, he's really a great guy though - and i do wish him the best and great time in F1, he's got a good amount of years in him and quite frankly, he really does belong in F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AJI wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 12:25

Alonso is only interested in the Indy 500 and Le Mans. Win those and join the rarified ranks of "triple crown" winners - he would be only the second person to ever do it, after all! That's quite a thing for him to aim for and to have on his "score sheet". He's missed out on F1 titles by being in the wrong place at the wrong time so winning the Triple would be a nice way to say "see, I told you I was good" when he retires.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

McHonda
McHonda

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 22:27
Phil wrote:

Its because he's not fighting Lewis hard and giving Lewis a really hard time. The Ham haters dont like him, and there are plenty of those about.

As you point out, Bottas has actually done very well and if he had a little more luck he'd be well in the title race.
Rubbish in Australia,toothless in Bahrain, very good in China, slow and lucky (then unlucky) in Baku, slow in Spain, anon in Monaco.

That this passes for doing very well is precisely the problem.